Re: When is the next local get together?

  • tlane3of6
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2002
      Hunter,

      We've been waiting for someone to 'step up to the plate'. (reference
      to the just replaced "Three Strikes, You're Out" intended)
      Moosiegirl just asked for some advice in the groundspeak forums
      also. We've had about 5 or 6 events in the last year that I know
      of. The host of the events has been varied and they've been roughly
      two months apart.

      The last one was more formal then the past as we had a guest from
      Austin parks and recreation department meet with us. He provided maps
      that listed all of the city parks. He also explained that we are
      restricted from placing caches in the parks that are
      labeled 'Preserves'. This is strictly enforced for the Balcones
      Canyonland Preserves which have federal oversight as endangered
      species habitat.

      The turn-out has usually been at least 20 people. We've had several
      from San Antonio and Fort Worth in the past. Other places for events
      in Austin have been; Central Market park, back patio of Gingerman,
      park off Duval near 'Once upon a cache', someone's house, and the
      last was at REI.

      Let me know if you want any more details.

      Thanks, Tom
    • Hunter Arend
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2002
        Tom,
        Thanks for the info! I just don't want to miss the next one.

        Later,
        Hunter
        > We've been waiting for someone to 'step up to the plate'. (reference
        > to the just replaced "Three Strikes, You're Out" intended)
        > Moosiegirl just asked for some advice in the groundspeak forums
        > also. We've had about 5 or 6 events in the last year that I know
        > of. The host of the events has been varied and they've been roughly
        > two months apart.
        >
        > The last one was more formal then the past as we had a guest from
        > Austin parks and recreation department meet with us. He provided maps
        > that listed all of the city parks. He also explained that we are
        > restricted from placing caches in the parks that are
        > labeled 'Preserves'. This is strictly enforced for the Balcones
        > Canyonland Preserves which have federal oversight as endangered
        > species habitat.
        >
        > The turn-out has usually been at least 20 people. We've had several
        > from San Antonio and Fort Worth in the past. Other places for events
        > in Austin have been; Central Market park, back patio of Gingerman,
        > park off Duval near 'Once upon a cache', someone's house, and the
        > last was at REI.
        >
        > Let me know if you want any more details.
        >
        > Thanks, Tom

      • chl0807
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2002
          Hello,

          I'm glad I found this group. I was hoping there would be an online
          forum for Austin and central Texas cachers. Seeing it took me almost
          eight months to find this I think we might do a better job of letting
          other folks around town know about this resource, such as adding it
          to the description of the next event cache or other new caches in the
          area.

          On the topic of event caches, I would be happy to setup a simple get
          together soon, along the lines of the Gingerman Happy Hour last year.
          Are people interested in meeting for some beers and food at a local
          establishment, even if there is not any caching involved? (My
          schedule right now will not really allow me to setup any thing
          elaborate.) If someone would like they could volunteer to talk about
          or lead a discussion on a particular related topic.

          What days of the week work best for everybody? The Gingerman was on a
          Friday. Is this a good day? If so I would propose May 3rd (too soon?)
          or May 11th.

          Glad to meet y'all, Christian (chloew)

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "tlane3of6" <tlane@e...> wrote:
          > Hunter,
          >
          > We've been waiting for someone to 'step up to the plate'.
          (reference
          > to the just replaced "Three Strikes, You're Out" intended)
          > Moosiegirl just asked for some advice in the groundspeak forums
          > also. We've had about 5 or 6 events in the last year that I know
          > of. The host of the events has been varied and they've been
          roughly
          > two months apart.
          >
          > The last one was more formal then the past as we had a guest from
          > Austin parks and recreation department meet with us. He provided
          maps
          > that listed all of the city parks. He also explained that we are
          > restricted from placing caches in the parks that are
          > labeled 'Preserves'. This is strictly enforced for the Balcones
          > Canyonland Preserves which have federal oversight as endangered
          > species habitat.
          >
          > The turn-out has usually been at least 20 people. We've had
          several
          > from San Antonio and Fort Worth in the past. Other places for
          events
          > in Austin have been; Central Market park, back patio of Gingerman,
          > park off Duval near 'Once upon a cache', someone's house, and the
          > last was at REI.
          >
          > Let me know if you want any more details.
          >
          > Thanks, Tom
        • Hunter Arend
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 18, 2002
            Christian,
            Either one is fine with me, just let us know.

            Later,
            Hunter (TikimanHSA)