Re: 10th Anniversary Event

  • softscienceofficer
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 4, 2010
      The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March 24). Of course other events may be added as well. The location is being investigated--we have a ranked short list--but many of the possibilities require deposits.

      Ed/SSO

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > Vicki of FiedoGang deputized me into service on the sponsor committee for this event, as she was its only member. :( Having zero experience with this sort of thing, I'm putting out a general plea(se) for advice, assistance, ideas, and support.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

    • Shawn Olsen
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 4, 2010
        What does the short list look like, and what type of deposits are required?
        Will people be camping on the property? We expect 1000+ to be a mega event?
        Lord British's property was mentioned is that still possible?

        Shawn/s6sputnik
        Sent from my iPhone

        On Oct 4, 2010, at 8:51 PM, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

        The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March 24). Of course other events may be added as well. The location is being investigated--we have a ranked short list--but many of the possibilities require deposits.

        Ed/SSO

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Vicki of FiedoGang deputized me into service on the sponsor committee for this event, as she was its only member. :( Having zero experience with this sort of thing, I'm putting out a general plea(se) for advice, assistance, ideas, and support.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

      • Matthew Manning
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 4, 2010

          What locations are there a toss up between and what is the specifics about each location that makes it viable or not?

          I would say, the bigger the event, the better the sponsorships become. This location bit should be solved, and pronto, if you expect people to plan on attending. May is not that long from now.

          Bananapoo

        • shawnolsen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 4, 2010
            Right you are and March is even closer!

            Does CentralTexasGeocachers have any funds from past events that could cover down payments/deposits?

            Shawn/s6sputnik

            In a message dated 10/4/2010 10:26:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bananapoo@... writes:

            What locations are there a toss up between and what is the specifics about each location that makes it viable or not?

            I would say, the bigger the event, the better the sponsorships become. This location bit should be solved, and pronto, if you expect people to plan on attending. May is not that long from now.

            Bananapoo

            On Oct 4, 2010 9:12 PM, "Shawn Olsen" <shawnolsen@...> wrote:

            What does the short list look like, and what type of deposits are required?
            Will people be camping on the property? We expect 1000+ to be a mega event?
            Lord British's property was mentioned is that still possible?

            Shawn/s6sputnik
            Sent from my iPhone

            On Oct 4, 2010, at 8:51 PM, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

            > The ...

          • Matthew Manning

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 5, 2010
                And March is even closer. =smile=
                The committee is working on it... and they're GENERALLY reliable!

                BarbJ/Tygress the Protective of her Peeps! rawr fssss why weren't you at the meeting pushy poo? =wink!=

                [Good points, by the way -- but I just want folks to know the committee's not playing slacker... this is a non trivial deal, with the potential of going, um, LARGE. And it's already put us in a position of thinking we need to root against UT basketball for actual the anniversary location. What do you mean we'd be trumped by play offs?]

                What locations are there a toss up between and what is the specifics about each location that makes it viable or not?

                I would say, the bigger the event, the better the sponsorships become. This location bit should be solved, and pronto, if you expect people to plan on attending. May is not that long from now.

                Bananapoo

                On Oct 4, 2010 9:12 PM, "Shawn Olsen" <shawnolsen@...> wrote:

                What does the short list look like, and what type of deposits are required?
                Will people be camping on the property? We expect 1000+ to be a mega event?
                Lord British's property was mentioned is that still possible?�
                Shawn/s6sputnik
                Sent from my iPhone

                On Oct 4, 2010, at 8:51 PM, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

                > �
                >
                > The ...

                Grant Funding May Be Available to Those Who Qualify
                SeeCollegeDegrees.com
              • Matthew Manning

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 5, 2010
                    Will the committee's be submitting the Mega on GC.com so that people can start making plans?  I would imagine that we could get some flexibility on changing the final location once it has been set.

                    Maybe we can start an e-mailing group or other communication method so that the other committees are aware of what all is going on.

                    Jeri / JestrRulz

                    In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:51:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time, edgeanderson@... writes:
                    The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March 24).
                  • lizeebie
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 5, 2010
                      Hi all,

                      I wanted to put some info out for you guys. Plus, like Ed said, we need your help!

                      I'm on the date/location committee (with Ed and others). We were hoping to have the event at Zilker Park the weekend of 3/26-3/27. However, the park is not available that weekend for such a large gathering. There is no other Austin run park big enough, so we're out of luck for a park, at least one run by the city of Austin.

                      Someone on the committee is supposed to be contacting Lord British (this week, I hope - hint hint). I will try to see about the Expo center, too.

                      Does anyone on this list have any other Austin locations we can check into for that weekend? If so, please send them to me off list. We really do need to find a suitable place SOON before much more can progress. But the location committee has been stumped! Help! :-)

                      And we really need to get on the ball with sponsors. We need to know the budget and get some funds to put a deposit on the place we do find. If you know of anyone/business that can help, please contact Ed or Vicki as mentioned in the first email of this thread.

                      Also, Di is supposed to be submitting the event to GC.com, since we have a date we like. I haven't heard yet what the status of the submission is. Di? Can you help with that?

                      Next - my hubby, JustPlaneChris, has volunteered to be the web guy for this event. He's waiting on a domain name to move forward with getting that phase. He asked someone, and hasn't gotten a response. So, we'll ask the group. :-) Anyone have any clever names for our event? Just throw some ideas out and we will find a variation for the web site.

                      Hope this answers some of the questions out there. :-)

                      Liz
                      Lizeebie

                      BTW - is anyone out there an event planner or project manager who is willing and able to help out?

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@... wrote:

                      > Will the committee's be submitting the Mega on GC.com so that people can
                      > start making plans? I would imagine that we could get some flexibility on
                      > changing the final location once it has been set.
                      >
                      > Maybe we can start an e-mailing group or other communication method so that
                      > the other committees are aware of what all is going on.
                      >
                      > Jeri / JestrRulz
                      >

                      > In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:51:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                      > edgeanderson@... writes:
                      >
                      > The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional
                      > event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March
                      > 24).

                    • Esther Lopez
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 5, 2010
                        a few come to mind;

                        1st Event Anniversary Mega Event

                        First Event / Anniversary Mega Event
                        or FEMA - First Event Mega Anniversary?

                        1st Event @ World / Anniversary Event

                        Very First Event Ever Anniversary Mega Event
                        Esther/BGTx

                        I wanted to put some info out for you guys. Plus, like Ed said, we need your help!

                        I'm on the date/location committee (with Ed and others). We were hoping to have the event at Zilker Park the weekend of 3/26-3/27. However, the park is not available that weekend for such a large gathering. There is no other Austin run park big enough, so we're out of luck for a park, at least one run by the city of Austin.

                        Someone on the committee is supposed to be contacting Lord British (this week, I hope - hint hint). I will try to see about the Expo center, too.

                        Does anyone on this list have any other Austin locations we can check into for that weekend? If so, please send them to me off list. We really do need to find a suitable place SOON before much more can progress. But the location committee has been stumped! Help! :-)

                        And we really need to get on the ball with sponsors. We need to know the budget and get some funds to put a deposit on the place we do find. If you know of anyone/business that can help, please contact Ed or Vicki as mentioned in the first email of this thread.

                        Also, Di is supposed to be submitting the event to GC.com, since we have a date we like. I haven't heard yet what the status of the submission is. Di? Can you help with that?

                        Next - my hubby, JustPlaneChris, has volunteered to be the web guy for this event. He's waiting on a domain name to move forward with getting that phase. He asked someone, and hasn't gotten a response. So, we'll ask the group. :-) Anyone have any clever names for our event? Just throw some ideas out and we will find a variation for the web site.

                        Hope this answers some of the questions out there. :-)

                        Liz
                        Lizeebie

                        BTW - is anyone out there an event planner or project manager who is willing and able to help out?

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@... wrote:

                        > Will the committee's be submitting the Mega on GC.com so that people can
                        > start making plans? I would imagine that we could get some flexibility on
                        > changing the final location once it has been set.
                        >
                        > Maybe we can start an e-mailing group or other communication method so that
                        > the other committees are aware of what all is going on.
                        >
                        > Jeri / JestrRulz
                        >

                        > In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:51:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                        > edgeanderson@... writes:
                        >
                        > The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional
                        > event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March

                        24).

                      • bananapooo
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 5, 2010
                          Ok, so I know I have been poking at this for a day or two now. I want a part in helping to put this event together, except my busy life means I cannot be counted on anything big. I don't have a ton of experience in event planning, but I also don't think an extremely experienced event planner needs to help. It would be nice though...

                          Just because I am actually at a computer responding, let me make a long winded post about some ideas...

                          1) Location Location Location. Get that resolved, and the rest falls in place. I will explain as I go through this.

                          2) Date and time. 3/26-3/27 might fit in line with the anniversary, but I think the spirit of the event is more important. JUST SAYING, I think having the event 3/19-3/20 will build a bigger audience. There would be a symbiotic relationship of this event with the Texas Challenge a week before. Why? Because both events would be the weekend before and after spring break week. Two mega events in the span of a week, in Texas, 2.5 hrs drive apart?! What geocacher wouldn't plan on making that? If you have a 2 week gap between events, people would likely need to pick and choose.

                          3) Sponsors. You need two things to get eager sponsors. An attractive event and an attractive crowd. See item 2. This is where location comes in, too. I bet something can be worked out with Lord British to use his land, but be prepared that he will likely want to make a profit somewhere. Lord British is a biggie business owner, and we cachers would need to make some sacrifices to use his place. It is a great idea, and to win his heart to the idea, make it lucrative to him. Allow him to sell souvenirs or have a cut of a registration fee for attending. If Lord British won't lend the land, maybe Zilker is available 3/19-3/20...?

                          4) Website. Keep it simple, and expand the site as the event rolls out. Look into http://www.google.com/a to automate everything better. The website is the best way to appeal to potential sponsors.

                          5) Location (again). Post the event now. Put in a dummy location, maybe at the geographical exact center of Austin for now. Geocachers need to know about the event asap. More details to come is all they need. Brag about how huge it will be. Work with the Houston cachers to make sure both the Texas Challenge event page and the Anniversary event page link to each other.

                          6) Everything else is cheese. If you get just one big sponsor, a location, and a date, other sponsors will come. Everyone wants a slice of popular pie. Sponsors are no different, and if there is advertising to be bought at the price of some bbq, or for the use of a canopy tent, or for setting up wifi, sponsor companies look for audience size, or in this case, the confident potential for a large audience. That confidence is brought on board by securing just one large sponsor, and making it known. Brag about sponsors when getting more sponsors. It is a join the band-wagon type of thing.

                          Ok, so that is it for now. Just my 6 cents.

                          Bananapoo

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lizeebie" <lizeebie@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > I wanted to put some info out for you guys. Plus, like Ed said, we need your help!
                          >
                          > I'm on the date/location committee (with Ed and others). We were hoping to have the event at Zilker Park the weekend of 3/26-3/27. However, the park is not available that weekend for such a large gathering. There is no other Austin run park big enough, so we're out of luck for a park, at least one run by the city of Austin.
                          >
                          > Someone on the committee is supposed to be contacting Lord British (this week, I hope - hint hint). I will try to see about the Expo center, too.
                          >
                          > Does anyone on this list have any other Austin locations we can check into for that weekend? If so, please send them to me off list. We really do need to find a suitable place SOON before much more can progress. But the location committee has been stumped! Help! :-)
                          >
                          > And we really need to get on the ball with sponsors. We need to know the budget and get some funds to put a deposit on the place we do find. If you know of anyone/business that can help, please contact Ed or Vicki as mentioned in the first email of this thread.
                          >
                          > Also, Di is supposed to be submitting the event to GC.com, since we have a date we like. I haven't heard yet what the status of the submission is. Di? Can you help with that?
                          >
                          > Next - my hubby, JustPlaneChris, has volunteered to be the web guy for this event. He's waiting on a domain name to move forward with getting that phase. He asked someone, and hasn't gotten a response. So, we'll ask the group. :-) Anyone have any clever names for our event? Just throw some ideas out and we will find a variation for the web site.
                          >
                          > Hope this answers some of the questions out there. :-)
                          >
                          > Liz
                          > Lizeebie
                          >
                          > BTW - is anyone out there an event planner or project manager who is willing and able to help out?
                          >

                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Will the committee's be submitting the Mega on GC.com so that people can
                          > > start making plans? I would imagine that we could get some flexibility on
                          > > changing the final location once it has been set.
                          > >
                          > > Maybe we can start an e-mailing group or other communication method so that
                          > > the other committees are aware of what all is going on.
                          > >
                          > > Jeri / JestrRulz
                          > >

                          > > In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:51:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                          > > edgeanderson@ writes:
                          > >
                          > > The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional
                          > > event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March
                          > > 24).

                        • Mrs. Captain Picard
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 6, 2010
                            When we were looking for a location for the Texas Challenge in 2009, some of the places we considered were fairgrounds, large churches, and rec centers.  We looked at the Millenium Youth Entertainment Center in East Austin.  If Zilker isn't available, what about Auditorium Shores or Fiesta Gardens?  Check out local party farms or ballrooms.  What about the Delco Center or gosh, have I lived in San Antonio so long that I forgot the name of that complex in south Austin?????  Sad!

                            I hope that gives you guys some new leads.

                            Cheers,

                            On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM, lizeebie <lizeebie@...> wrote:

                            Hi all,

                            I wanted to put some info out for you guys. Plus, like Ed said, we need your help!

                            I'm on the date/location committee (with Ed and others). We were hoping to have the event at Zilker Park the weekend of 3/26-3/27. However, the park is not available that weekend for such a large gathering. There is no other Austin run park big enough, so we're out of luck for a park, at least one run by the city of Austin.

                            Someone on the committee is supposed to be contacting Lord British (this week, I hope - hint hint). I will try to see about the Expo center, too.

                            Does anyone on this list have any other Austin locations we can check into for that weekend? If so, please send them to me off list. We really do need to find a suitable place SOON before much more can progress. But the location committee has been stumped! Help! :-)

                            And we really need to get on the ball with sponsors. We need to know the budget and get some funds to put a deposit on the place we do find. If you know of anyone/business that can help, please contact Ed or Vicki as mentioned in the first email of this thread.

                            Also, Di is supposed to be submitting the event to GC.com, since we have a date we like. I haven't heard yet what the status of the submission is. Di? Can you help with that?

                            Next - my hubby, JustPlaneChris, has volunteered to be the web guy for this event. He's waiting on a domain name to move forward with getting that phase. He asked someone, and hasn't gotten a response. So, we'll ask the group. :-) Anyone have any clever names for our event? Just throw some ideas out and we will find a variation for the web site.

                            Hope this answers some of the questions out there. :-)

                            Liz
                            Lizeebie

                            BTW - is anyone out there an event planner or project manager who is willing and able to help out?

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@... wrote:

                            > Will the committee's be submitting the Mega on GC.com so that people can
                            > start making plans? I would imagine that we could get some flexibility on
                            > changing the final location once it has been set.
                            >
                            > Maybe we can start an e-mailing group or other communication method so that
                            > the other committees are aware of what all is going on.
                            >
                            > Jeri / JestrRulz
                            >

                            > In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:51:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                            > edgeanderson@... writes:
                            >
                            > The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional
                            > event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March
                            > 24).

                          • Debbie Sampson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 6, 2010
                              I'm not sure how much land is out at Ghost Town but I know they have motorcycle rallies out there.

                              Joey & Deb

                            • Pam Tobias
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 6, 2010
                                What about the Travis County Expo Center, speaking of motorcycle rallies?  Or Williamson County Regional Park or Old Settler's Park in Round Rock?

                                Pam/pblt

                                On Oct 6, 2010, at 8:18 AM, Debbie Sampson wrote:

                                I'm not sure how much land is out at Ghost Town but I know they have motorcycle rallies out there.

                                Joey & Deb

                              • semperquestio
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 6, 2010
                                  If you're looking for a park setting (and not accounting for parking, fees, facilities, etc.) how about....

                                  Old Settlers Park, Round Rock
                                  Berry Springs Park, Georgetown
                                  Northeast Metro Park, Pflugerville
                                  Walter Long Metro Park, NE Austin
                                  East Metro County Park (off Blake Manor east of Travis Cty Expo)
                                  McKinney Falls State Park
                                  Circle C Ranch Metro Park
                                  Emma Long
                                  Southeast Metro Park
                                • Holly Cooper

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 6, 2010
                                      I highly encourage you to find a location with indoor space.  March weather can be very iffy.  Remember how cold it was at the Fredericksburg Challenge?  Imagine if we were using open air pavillions that weekend?  It would have been miserable.  Plus, if you want to have a vendor fair, they will want indoor space.

                                      San Gabriel Park in Georgetown has a nice community center with reasonable rent.   It's not Austin, of course.

                                      All public schools are available for rent when school's not in session, and they have lots of parking!

                                      Cheers,

                                      On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Mrs. Captain Picard <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:
> [...]

                                      Liz
                                      Lizeebie

                                      BTW - is anyone out there an event planner or project manager who is willing and able to help out?

                                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@... wrote:

                                      > Will the committee's be submitting the Mega on GC.com so that people can
                                      > start making plans? I would imagine that we could get some flexibility on
                                      > changing the final location once it has been set.
                                      >
                                      > Maybe we can start an e-mailing group or other communication method so that
                                      > the other committees are aware of what all is going on.
                                      >
                                      > Jeri / JestrRulz
                                      >

                                      > In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:51:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                      > edgeanderson@... writes:
                                      >
                                      > The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional
                                      > event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March

                                    • semperquestio
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 6, 2010
                                        AISD has the Delco center sitting out at 183 and Manor. Anyone know anything about that?

                                      • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 6, 2010
                                          If we plan Mega, we get more GC.com support and GC.com advertising. Just sayin...  Wasn't all of this hashed out at the original planning meeting folks?

                                          Jeri / JestrRulz

                                          In a message dated 10/6/2010 8:39:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time, lizeebie@... writes:
                                          I feel we should PLAN smaller and get it changed to MEGA if we have more than 500 attendees.
                                        • shawnolsen@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 7, 2010

                                            I think there is a lot of wisdom in Arnaud's thoughts below....

                                            Shawn/s6sputnik

                                            In a message dated 10/7/2010 8:05:12 P.M. Central Daylight Time, soaringeagle@... writes:

                                            Please pardon me if I repeat points made before. I have not read all the different threads.

                                            I just noticed that there is already a very well established Mega event on the 26th of March: GC2EWFJ MOGA'11. It may be difficult to get a second mega event the same day.

                                            Given that there is also the Texas Challenge within a couple of weeks, it may also reduce the number of participants.

                                            If the number of participants is more like 300-400, then would Scholtz Garten still be an option?

                                            Arnaud - SoaringEagle

                                            PS: Instead of the Mega Icon, should we ask for the "Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebration" special icon?