Re: Coming to town

  • softscienceofficer
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
      Hi Denise,

      This is my neck of the woods, so I'll chime in. I agree with Julie, there are a number of good caches, most of which take you to some unusual South Austin landmark. In addition to those Julie mentioned, "See" (GCKRVW) takes you to a unique piece of Austin. Right AT Oltorf and I-35 is a nice virtual (Blunn Creek Preserve). I also like "Grotto Cache Micro" because it's a beautiful location on the pretty St. Edward's campus. "Salute" (GC1M9N8)off of S. Lamar Blvd. just won our award for Best Urban Cache. If you're looking for a hike, the Barton Creek Greenbelt west off of S. Lamar has several.

      No events in Austin, and a cacher coming to town? Hmm....how firm is your arrival time?

      Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:
      > I'll be going to Austin on Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a
      > training class on the 3rd. I don't see any events listed for either night
      > yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I
      > may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search
      > after class on the 3rd.
      >
      > *Denise E. Vajdak* ><>
      >
      > The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
      > http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
      >
      > *Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching <http://geocaching.com>!*
      > *
      > *

    • Esther Lopez
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
        Howdy Denise,
        Welcome to Austin!
        I go to meetings and conferences around the state too and I used to look for local events, but I have found that hosting an event where I am going works even better!
        Post an event and they will come! It's a win/win situation for everyone. You earn a smiley in two columns and get to meet the locals, and we get to show off their area and get to meet you!

        This is my neck of the woods, so I'll chime in. I agree with Julie, there are a number of good caches, most of which take you to some unusual South Austin landmark. In addition to those Julie mentioned, "See" (GCKRVW) takes you to a unique piece of Austin. Right AT Oltorf and I-35 is a nice virtual (Blunn Creek Preserve). I also like "Grotto Cache Micro" because it's a beautiful location on the pretty St. Edward's campus. "Salute" (GC1M9N8)off of S. Lamar Blvd. just won our award for Best Urban Cache. If you're looking for a hike, the Barton Creek Greenbelt west off of S. Lamar has several.

        No events in Austin, and a cacher coming to town? Hmm....how firm is your arrival time?

        Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:

        > I'll be going to Austin on Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a
        > training class on the 3rd. I don't see any events listed for either night
        > yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I
        > may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search
        > after class on the 3rd.
        >
        > *Denise E. Vajdak* ><>
        >
        > The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
        > http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
        >
        > *Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching <http://geocaching.com>!*
        > *
        > *

      • Denise Vajdak
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
          I work in Bryan and I normally get off at 5 pm.  I could probably leave at 4 pm and be there by 6 pm.  I'll be at the Clarion Inn & Suites and I'll need to check in.  Then I'm free for the night.

          Then on Wednesday, I'm hoping to be done around 4pm and I can hang around town for a while before heading home to Snook.

          On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 7:18 PM, softscienceofficer <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

          Hi Denise,

          This is my neck of the woods, so I'll chime in. I agree with Julie, there are a number of good caches, most of which take you to some unusual South Austin landmark. In addition to those Julie mentioned, "See" (GCKRVW) takes you to a unique piece of Austin. Right AT Oltorf and I-35 is a nice virtual (Blunn Creek Preserve). I also like "Grotto Cache Micro" because it's a beautiful location on the pretty St. Edward's campus. "Salute" (GC1M9N8)off of S. Lamar Blvd. just won our award for Best Urban Cache. If you're looking for a hike, the Barton Creek Greenbelt west off of S. Lamar has several.

          No events in Austin, and a cacher coming to town? Hmm....how firm is your arrival time?

          Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:
          > I'll be going to Austin on Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a
          > training class on the 3rd. I don't see any events listed for either night
          > yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I
          > may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search
          > after class on the 3rd.
          >
          > *Denise E. Vajdak* ><>
          >
          > The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
          > http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
          >
          > *Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching <http://geocaching.com>!*
          > *
          > *

        • Denise Vajdak
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
            Looks like I'll be leaving Bryan at 3 pm on Tuesday, which means I'll hit 5:00 traffic, but I'll be there somewhere around then.