Re: Cachers helping cachers on puzzle caches.

  • Indigo Parrish
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2010
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "poofy1369" <Hilton@...> wrote:

      > Yes, you may call this whining but we are very frustrated.
      >
      > We enjoy spending time making puzzle caches and placing them. We don't enjoy when the answers are given out to people at will. We know this is happening because we have cachers logging a find without even visiting the cache site. Some of our caches take you to another page and on both pages we know how many times and who visit the page.
      >
      > It's frustrating to get logs from people who do not read the cache, do not follow the steps and then log or do not log what we have requested in the puzzle.
      >
      > At this point - we are ready to archive the puzzle caches we have out and stop making them.
      >
      > We know everyone plays the game differently but if a cache owner takes the time to make special steps, we feel they should be at least attempted. Also, if you need help with a cache - go to the cache owner first!
      >
      > Please voice your opinion and let us know your thoughts.

      Since you asked, here are my thoughts --

      Puzzle caches are not everyone's cup of tea. Some people assiduously avoid them. Also, no matter how much effort one puts into creating them they simply won't attract finders like a traditional cache. I hide caches because I WANT people to find them. I have a cool location for them to see or a fun or silly or interesting puzzle for them to solve. Sure, anyone can come up with an impenetrable puzzle that basically requires the finder to read the hider's mind (*cough* National Treasure *cough*) but where's the fun in that? What's the point?

      Therefore I prefer to hide puzzle caches that are either explicitly stated to be solve-on-site or where everything is completely presented on the page or I make it clear they can ask me for hints. I want them to know that the puzzle is doable and worth the effort and encourage them to DO IT rather than take the easy way out either by skipping it or phoning a friend for the final location. I think that's a healthier, more encouraging attitude to take: "I will HELP you appreciate my puzzle" rather than "how DARE anyone cheat past my masterpiece."

      I also agree with Mrs. Captain Picard's points about teams of people working together to solve puzzles. I've been on the phone for hours with my buddy Vinyl Slider trying to wrap our heads around a new puzzle when it got published. When one of us finally solved it, it's difficult NOT to share the result with each other after all that shared effort. But both of us view the point of any puzzle cache to be *solving the puzzle*, so one really should be either solving it themself or at least breaking a mental sweat helping to solve it. Therefore, I'd try not to fret about people helping each other to solve a puzzle. At least they are showing interest. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, the only thing worse than a puzzle cache being talked about is a puzzle cache not being talked about.

      I draw the line at Challenge caches however. In my mind it is flat out unethical to log a Challenge cache without personally doing the challenge as intended. Life is too short to discard one's ethics for a single smiley on a challenge cache. I will not allow bogus logs on "Nine Princes in Amber" and it is reasonable to expect other Challenge hiders to maintain similar vigilance. If you don't like that, then challenge caches are simply not the type for you. GC.com gives the "Delete Log" option for a reason, and bogus challenge cache logs are one of the very few cases I think where it is warranted. Even then I'd give the logger a fair, friendly warning and plenty of notice for them to change it to a "Note" instead.

      So make the puzzle caches doable and enjoyable and then just let the community appreciate them for what they are. Some will cheat, most won't, live and let live. And save your strength to righteously defend challenge caches :)

      -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
    • electric_water_boy
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
        I'll start with where I'll end. Play your own game. Do it for yourself. And when it isn't fun anymore, don't do it. If you worry about how everyone else does it you'll quit a lot sooner.

        I share the frustration from time to time, but I get over it.

        Am I frustrated that people who haven't solved my puzzles find them? No. As others have stated, sometimes the non-solvers are with a group. Some of these people could have solved the puzzle had they worked on it. Some would have even tried. Some are just new. But regardless, it's not their finding that bothers me.

        What ticks me off, and I'm assuming what is getting you as well, as when some people find your puzzle cache without solving the puzzle, they do possibly two things.

        1. They don't even look at the puzzle when they go to log the thing. If you log my puzzle without solving, at least take a minute or two to look at the thing. Tell me that you think you could have solved it, or that it was way over your head, or it looked interesting, or something. And some puzzles ask for you to log them a certain way. Even if you didn't solve the puzzle you could at least log it as asked.

        2. Your log makes it sound like you found the solution to global warming, created world peace, and you did it all on your coffee break. Some puzzle caches have tough hides, and I think it is okay to say something about that - "I didn't solve your puzzle (though I have since looked at it and it's over my head), but I did find your cache it was a tough one to find." But I would venture to say that the majority of puzzle caches have "normal" hides and the majority of us could find them with little difficulty. The finding of the cache is just meant to be verification that you solved the puzzle correctly. So, if you didn't solve the puzzle and didn't even look at it or read how to log it if there was a special way, don't make a big deal out of having found it - especially if you were with a group and you weren't the one to find it.

        So yeah, it does get to me a bit. But if I were to let those few people who don't "play like I think they should" get to me, I'd be doing something else. I create puzzles for me, for those who I know love to solve them, and for those who might eventually getthe puzzle solving bug. I can't waste my time and effort for the rest of you.

        So, to end where I started. Play your own game. Do it for yourself. And when it isn't fun anymore, don't do it. If you worry about how everyone else does it you'll quit a lot sooner.

        Electric Water Boy
        Tom