Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Coming to town

  • Mrs. Captain Picard
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
      Hi Denise,
      Do you have access to a car while you're here, or are you on foot?  There are LOTS of cool caches in that area, but you'd do better with a car.  I have several caches in that area, and they'll take you to some cool Austin spots.  Start with Terra's Treasure and go from there.  I also would like to recommend Bouldin Mosaic which is not that far away that is awesome for the location.  Be sure you go in the daylight and check out the north side of the little bridge.
      Enjoy Austin!

      Cheers,

      On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:

      I'll be going to Austin on  Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a training class on the 3rd.  I don't see any events listed for either night yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search after class on the 3rd.

      Denise E. Vajdak  ><>

      The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
      http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak

      Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching!

    • Denise Vajdak
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010

        I'll be in my truck.

        Denise E. Vajdak
        http://denisevajdak.us
        Sent from my Droid

        On Oct 4, 2010 2:55 PM, "Mrs. Captain Picard" <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:
        > Hi Denise,
        > Do you have access to a car while you're here, or are you on foot? There
        > are LOTS of cool caches in that area, but you'd do better with a car. I
        > have several caches in that area, and they'll take you to some cool Austin
        > spots. Start with Terra's Treasure and go from there. I also would like to
        > recommend Bouldin Mosaic which is not that far away that is awesome for the
        > location. Be sure you go in the daylight and check out the north side of
        > the little bridge.
        > Enjoy Austin!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Julie
        > Mrs. Captain Picard
        >
        > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...>wrote:
        >

        >> I'll be going to Austin on Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a
        >> training class on the 3rd. I don't see any events listed for either night
        >> yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I
        >> may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search
        >> after class on the 3rd.
        >>
        >> *Denise E. Vajdak* ><>
        >>
        >> The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
        >> http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
        >>
        >> *Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching <http://geocaching.com>!
        >> *
        >> *
        >> *

      • softscienceofficer
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
          Hi Denise,

          This is my neck of the woods, so I'll chime in. I agree with Julie, there are a number of good caches, most of which take you to some unusual South Austin landmark. In addition to those Julie mentioned, "See" (GCKRVW) takes you to a unique piece of Austin. Right AT Oltorf and I-35 is a nice virtual (Blunn Creek Preserve). I also like "Grotto Cache Micro" because it's a beautiful location on the pretty St. Edward's campus. "Salute" (GC1M9N8)off of S. Lamar Blvd. just won our award for Best Urban Cache. If you're looking for a hike, the Barton Creek Greenbelt west off of S. Lamar has several.

          No events in Austin, and a cacher coming to town? Hmm....how firm is your arrival time?

          Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:
          > I'll be going to Austin on Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a
          > training class on the 3rd. I don't see any events listed for either night
          > yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I
          > may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search
          > after class on the 3rd.
          >
          > *Denise E. Vajdak* ><>
          >
          > The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
          > http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
          >
          > *Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching <http://geocaching.com>!*
          > *
          > *

        • Esther Lopez
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
            Howdy Denise,
            Welcome to Austin!
            I go to meetings and conferences around the state too and I used to look for local events, but I have found that hosting an event where I am going works even better!
            Post an event and they will come! It's a win/win situation for everyone. You earn a smiley in two columns and get to meet the locals, and we get to show off their area and get to meet you!

            This is my neck of the woods, so I'll chime in. I agree with Julie, there are a number of good caches, most of which take you to some unusual South Austin landmark. In addition to those Julie mentioned, "See" (GCKRVW) takes you to a unique piece of Austin. Right AT Oltorf and I-35 is a nice virtual (Blunn Creek Preserve). I also like "Grotto Cache Micro" because it's a beautiful location on the pretty St. Edward's campus. "Salute" (GC1M9N8)off of S. Lamar Blvd. just won our award for Best Urban Cache. If you're looking for a hike, the Barton Creek Greenbelt west off of S. Lamar has several.

            No events in Austin, and a cacher coming to town? Hmm....how firm is your arrival time?

            Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:

            > I'll be going to Austin on Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a
            > training class on the 3rd. I don't see any events listed for either night
            > yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I
            > may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search
            > after class on the 3rd.
            >
            > *Denise E. Vajdak* ><>
            >
            > The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
            > http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
            >
            > *Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching <http://geocaching.com>!*
            > *
            > *

          • Denise Vajdak
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
              I work in Bryan and I normally get off at 5 pm.  I could probably leave at 4 pm and be there by 6 pm.  I'll be at the Clarion Inn & Suites and I'll need to check in.  Then I'm free for the night.

              Then on Wednesday, I'm hoping to be done around 4pm and I can hang around town for a while before heading home to Snook.

              On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 7:18 PM, softscienceofficer <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

              Hi Denise,

              This is my neck of the woods, so I'll chime in. I agree with Julie, there are a number of good caches, most of which take you to some unusual South Austin landmark. In addition to those Julie mentioned, "See" (GCKRVW) takes you to a unique piece of Austin. Right AT Oltorf and I-35 is a nice virtual (Blunn Creek Preserve). I also like "Grotto Cache Micro" because it's a beautiful location on the pretty St. Edward's campus. "Salute" (GC1M9N8)off of S. Lamar Blvd. just won our award for Best Urban Cache. If you're looking for a hike, the Barton Creek Greenbelt west off of S. Lamar has several.

              No events in Austin, and a cacher coming to town? Hmm....how firm is your arrival time?

              Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:
              > I'll be going to Austin on Nov 2 and staying the night so I can go to a
              > training class on the 3rd. I don't see any events listed for either night
              > yet, so are there any "must do" caches around the I-35 S/Oltorf St. area? I
              > may not get to town until 7pm on the 2nd, so it might be easier to search
              > after class on the 3rd.
              >
              > *Denise E. Vajdak* ><>
              >
              > The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
              > http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
              >
              > *Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching <http://geocaching.com>!*
              > *
              > *

            • Denise Vajdak
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2010
                Looks like I'll be leaving Bryan at 3 pm on Tuesday, which means I'll hit 5:00 traffic, but I'll be there somewhere around then.