Glonass-capable G.P.S. receiver???

  • amischangel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2010
      Wondering if anyone knows of a Glonass-capable G.P.S. receiver out there in the wild as yet. Heard of some type of GPS that can track both USA GPS and Russian Federation Glonass using up to 44 satellites.

      What does you think on this?

      amishangel/don
    • Nathaniel D
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2010
        I seem to remember GLONASS being less accurate than GPS, so I can't see much of a market for GLONASS/GPS combined receivers, as you can only be as accurate as your LEAST accurate reading, although I'll give that you'd get higher accuracy just from the sheer number of satellites, so you'll have a higher chance of eliminating that lowest accuracy signal with a higher one.  A quick bit of googling turned up only a small handful of units that support both, and they all seemed to be in the surveying sector, costing thousands of dollars.  I can see the market increasing and the willingness of manufacturers to manufacture multi-system receivers when Galileo goes live, and if China will let us tap into Compass when it goes live.

        With all 4 systems operational, you're looking at over 100 satellites feeding data - if all that becomes available to manufacturers, I think that's when we'll start seeing multi-system receivers start to pop up in the compact handheld market, but I just can't see it happening with only GLONASS and GPS.

        grn beret 2b
        a.k.a. Nathaniel

      • jestrrrulz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2010