New T Mobile Garminphone

  • re2dog
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30 8:46 AM
      I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new phone...or has gotten one. Is it a good phone? Is it useful for geocaching on the run? Can you geocache with it, is probably a better question. It obviously does the same as the Garmin in my truck, but I wasn't able to find out if you can enter coords, etc. I haven't looked into any of this very thoroughly, but figured if anyone here had gotten one, they would be the best to talk to about it....MUCH better than anyone at T Mobile!

      --Dawn (Re2dog)
    • Matthew Manning
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 30 8:57 AM

        If you are with T-Mobile, go with an Android phone. Trust me...

        Bananapoo

        On Aug 30, 2010 10:46 AM, "re2dog" <re2dog@...> wrote:

        I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new phone...or has gotten one. Is it a good phone? Is it useful for geocaching on the run? Can you geocache with it, is probably a better question. It obviously does the same as the Garmin in my truck, but I wasn't able to find out if you can enter coords, etc. I haven't looked into any of this very thoroughly, but figured if anyone here had gotten one, they would be the best to talk to about it....MUCH better than anyone at T Mobile!

        --Dawn (Re2dog)

      • Reddog Texas
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 30 10:11 AM
          it is an Android phone.....or at least uses Android apps.  I still have your basic, run of the mill phone...haven't gotten up to speed in that area.  Just one of those things that I figured I would do as I get to it or need it.  This new phone has tweaked my curiosity.

          Dawn (Re2dog)

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 30 12:43 PM
            Wow.  Hadn't even heard of the Garminfone.  I thought you were talking about the Nuvifone.  The two phones look slightly different, but it looks like the interface is basically the same.  I'm also curious to know if they're worth a rip out in the field.

            Mark
            (BewareOfPenguin)

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 7, 2010
              Ok, so my son came home for Labor Day weekend and has the phone. I ended up getting one too. So far, I love it! I haven't used it to actually find a cache yet, but I have played with the geocaching app. It is set up so you can choose a cache from the list and have the phone take you to it. I haven't been able to go out and check accuracy yet...but will do it soon.

              When you use the phone as a driving Garmin, and have it in it's window holder...when you remove the phone, it saves your location!!! No more wandering around parking lots, trying to find my truck for me!!!

              --Re2dog (Dawn)

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Benson <bewareofpenguin@...> wrote:

              > Wow. Hadn't even heard of the Garminfone. I thought you were talking
              > about the Nuvifone. The two phones look slightly different, but it
              > looks like the interface is basically the same. I'm also curious to
              > know if they're worth a rip out in the field.
              >
              > Mark
              > (BewareOfPenguin)
              >

              > On 8/30/2010 10:46 AM, re2dog wrote:
              > >
              > > I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new phone...or has
              > > gotten one. Is it a good phone? Is it useful for geocaching on the
              > > run? Can you geocache with it, is probably a better question. It
              > > obviously does the same as the Garmin in my truck, but I wasn't able
              > > to find out if you can enter coords, etc. I haven't looked into any of
              > > this very thoroughly, but figured if anyone here had gotten one, they
              > > would be the best to talk to about it....MUCH better than anyone at T
              > > Mobile!
              > >
              > > --Dawn (Re2dog)

            • Steve Fite
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 7, 2010

                I don’t have a Garminphone but I do have an iphone with the geocaching application.  I use it all the time.  Whenever I stop somewhere or have a few minutes to kill I pull up the geocaching application and do a search for nearby geocaches.  It’s not as good as my Garmin but it will get me to a cache typically.  The other thing I like is being out in the field close to a cache according to my Garmin.  If I’m having a bad day I can always pull up the cache on the phone and check recent logs, pictures, hints, etc.  While I might leave home without my Garmin I will NEVER leave home without my iphone and geocache application.  Let us know how you like it for geocaching.  A lot of us would be curious I’m sure.

                Steve/mogasman

                Ok, so my son came home for Labor Day weekend and has the phone. I ended up getting one too. So far, I love it! I haven't used it to actually find a cache yet, but I have played with the geocaching app. It is set up so you can choose a cache from the list and have the phone take you to it. I haven't been able to go out and check accuracy yet...but will do it soon.

                When you use the phone as a driving Garmin, and have it in it's window holder...when you remove the phone, it saves your location!!! No more wandering around parking lots, trying to find my truck for me!!!

                --Re2dog (Dawn)

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Benson <bewareofpenguin@...> wrote:

                > Wow. Hadn't even heard of the Garminfone. I thought you were talking
                > about the Nuvifone. The two phones look slightly different, but it
                > looks like the interface is basically the same. I'm also curious to
                > know if they're worth a rip out in the field.
                >
                > Mark
                > (BewareOfPenguin)
                >

                > On 8/30/2010 10:46 AM, re2dog wrote:
                > >
                > > I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new phone...or has
                > > gotten one. Is it a good phone? Is it useful for geocaching on the
                > > run? Can you geocache with it, is probably a better question. It
                > > obviously does the same as the Garmin in my truck, but I wasn't able
                > > to find out if you can enter coords, etc. I haven't looked into any of
                > > this very thoroughly, but figured if anyone here had gotten one, they
                > > would be the best to talk to about it....MUCH better than anyone at T
                > > Mobile!
                > >
                > > --Dawn (Re2dog)

              • Reddog Texas
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 7, 2010
                  That's the coolest part!!  Geocaching really on the go!  As the Garminfone is a GPS also...it will be interesting to see how it all works.

                  I don’t have a Garminphone but I do have an iphone with the geocaching application.  I use it all the time.  Whenever I stop somewhere or have a few minutes to kill I pull up the geocaching application and do a search for nearby geocaches.  It’s not as good as my Garmin but it will get me to a cache typically.  The other thing I like is being out in the field close to a cache according to my Garmin.  If I’m having a bad day I can always pull up the cache on the phone and check recent logs, pictures, hints, etc.  While I might leave home without my Garmin I will NEVER leave home without my iphone and geocache application.  Let us know how you like it for geocaching.  A lot of us would be curious I’m sure.

                  Steve/mogasman

                  Ok, so my son came home for Labor Day weekend and has the phone. I ended up getting one too. So far, I love it! I haven't used it to actually find a cache yet, but I have played with the geocaching app. It is set up so you can choose a cache from the list and have the phone take you to it. I haven't been able to go out and check accuracy yet...but will do it soon.

                  When you use the phone as a driving Garmin, and have it in it's window holder...when you remove the phone, it saves your location!!! No more wandering around parking lots, trying to find my truck for me!!!

                  --Re2dog (Dawn)

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Benson <bewareofpenguin@...> wrote:

                  > Wow. Hadn't even heard of the Garminfone. I thought you were talking
                  > about the Nuvifone. The two phones look slightly different, but it
                  > looks like the interface is basically the same. I'm also curious to
                  > know if they're worth a rip out in the field.
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > (BewareOfPenguin)
                  >

                  > On 8/30/2010 10:46 AM, re2dog wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this new phone...or has
                  > > gotten one. Is it a good phone? Is it useful for geocaching on the
                  > > run? Can you geocache with it, is probably a better question. It
                  > > obviously does the same as the Garmin in my truck, but I wasn't able
                  > > to find out if you can enter coords, etc. I haven't looked into any of
                  > > this very thoroughly, but figured if anyone here had gotten one, they
                  > > would be the best to talk to about it....MUCH better than anyone at T
                  > > Mobile!
                  > >
                  > > --Dawn (Re2dog)

                • Mark Benson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                    On 9/7/2010 5:04 PM, re2dog wrote:
                    No more wandering around parking lots, trying to find my truck for me!!!
                    Well that just takes the fun right out of it!

                    You mentioned a "geocaching app."  Do you mean the geocaching app that's available for the iPhone, Droid, etc?  Or, did you mean an application for geocaching that's native to the phone?

                    Mark
                    (BewareOfPenguin)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                      Oh, I bet it can still map source you.....

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                      No more wandering around parking lots, trying to find my truck for me!!!
                      Well that just takes the fun right out of it!

                      You mentioned a "geocaching app."  Do you mean the geocaching app that's available for the iPhone, Droid, etc?  Or, did you mean an application for geocaching that's native to the phone?

                      Mark
                      (BewareOfPenguin)

                      Staples® Weekly Ad
                      50% off backpacks, notebooks for 9¢ & other extreme deals on school supplies
                      staples.com
                    • Mark Benson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                        On 9/8/2010 6:54 AM, gumbietygress@... wrote:
                        > Oh, I bet it can still map source you.....
                        LOL! No such thing as the perfect map. I remember when I used to drive
                        a cement mixer in the Austin area. All the drivers for this company
                        used to have Mapsco map books in their trucks. And when someone would
                        take a wrong turn or end up in a dead end because the map told them to,
                        we'd say they got Mapsco'd.

                        Mark
                        (BewareOfPenguin)
                      • Reddog Texas
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                          Mark.....the phone is an Android.  I have the Groundspeak Geocaching app.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                            Tygress......not sure what you mean by "mapsource you".  I haven't played with it a ton yet and so far haven't seen an actual map with the caches shown.  I had a list of caches and how far they were from me....I chose one and hit the "go to" button...and then it showed the map.  I really have to play with this more....if only the rain would give me a break!  lol

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                              This works just like the map page on your GPSr.....shows the map and a line to the cache. There is a distance counter...just wondering how well that works. The actual driving GPS works exactly like the one in my truck....so I'm hoping the walking one works like my handheld (or similar). Rain, rain, go away!!

                              > > Oh, I bet it can still map source you.....
                              > LOL!  No such thing as the perfect map.  I
                              > remember when I used to drive
                              > a cement mixer in the Austin area.  All the drivers
                              > for this company
                              > used to have Mapsco map books in their trucks.  And
                              > when someone would
                              > take a wrong turn or end up in a dead end because the map
                              > told them to,
                              > we'd say they got Mapsco'd.
                              >
                              > Mark
                              > (BewareOfPenguin)

                              >     CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            • Nathaniel D
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                                Mapsource as a verb is a not-so-technical term that's used to describe when your GPSr takes you the longest possible route to a destination (maybe not the LONGEST, but it sure feels like it sometimes).

                                Nathaniel
                                a.k.a. grn beret 2b

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                                  Me, I tend to use it for when Mapsource routes me down a road that doesn't exist.  Particularly frustrating in country caching, as you might get within a 1/4 mile but with no way to pass through the locked gate and the private ranch road . . .

                                  Russ the waterweasel

                                  Oh, I bet it can still map source you.....

                                  BarbJ/Tygress

                                  No more wandering around parking lots, trying to find my truck for me!!!
                                  Well that just takes the fun right out of it!

                                  You mentioned a "geocaching app."  Do you mean the geocaching app that's available for the iPhone, Droid, etc?  Or, did you mean an application for geocaching that's native to the phone?

                                  Mark
                                  (BewareOfPenguin)

                                  Staples® Weekly Ad
                                  50% off backpacks, notebooks for 9¢ & other extreme deals on school supplies
                                  staples.com

                                • Mrs. Captain Picard
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                                    Yeah, I always start worrying when the road on my map is named "Road."  That's a sign you're about to be MapSourced!

                                    (MapSource is Garmin's PC map software.)

                                    Cheers,

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                                      Thanks for the info.....just hadn't heard that terminology as yet!

                                      --Re2dog (Dawn)

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                                        I have used MapSource on the PC.....used that to put my bookmark list on my GPSr, before I knew you could just send directly to the GPSr.  I don't keep caches loaded as I like mine more "tidy"....too many are too confusing, so usually, I just have the ones I'm headed out for on it.

                                        To this point, I have almost always planned my trip out before going.....including printing out the cache page and writing down my driving directions to each cache.  I have rarely had an issue getting to a cache this way.  I will really only use the Garminfone to cache with when I'm out and about and have extra time and haven't planned to cache.  Although, who knows....if it works very well and is so much easier....I may use it much more than I think I will.  That's what usually happens...lol.

                                        --Re2dog (Dawn)

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                                          I consider myself mapsourced when my GPSr takes me right into a neighborhood with all the backyards fenced in and the cache is on the other side of someone's fence in a park.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 8, 2010
                                            If you use a Garmin, you will.
                                            MapSource is the Garmin map system.
                                            We use it to route to caches (via the GPS) frequently. It's USUALLY pretty good --  But sometimes it thinks there are roads where there aren't -- "no, I'm not going to drive through that guy's barn." Sometimes it throws in an arbitrary around the block course. I've got pictures!
                                            When it fails us, leading us up a merry or nonextant lane, we call that being 'MapSourced.'

                                            GPSes are not perfect ... there are days that they won't give you a straight direction to save their chips.

                                            Ours get a bit twitchy in cemeteries.

                                            There are times identical units will point in opposite directions -- only to bring us back together as we get closer to the cache.

                                            Or you'll be searching like heck with a 5 foot reading -- until your partner finds the cache 30 feet away -- then the unit points OVER THERE!!!

                                            All part of the game -- no gimmes!

                                            BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

                                            EXPOSED: Make $99/hr Online
                                            BREAKING NEWS: People are beating the recession by working at home.
                                            News18Report.com