Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Travel Bug mission completed!

  • Heather Ford
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2010

      Hi Jeri -

      Thanks for the offer!  I see the cache has been archived, though, so I can read the logs now.  Georeynozos dropped the coin there on 2/7/10, and the cache was muggled sometime between 2/14 and 2/20.  Our plastic coin sleeve was found on the ground relatively near the coords for the cache container.  Well, maybe someday someone will get curious about the coin and check out the code.  Not likely, but you never know...

      Heather
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 8, 2010
        Perhaps this topic has run its course and I am beating a dead horse, but I noticed a new feature that was implemented at geocaching.com since I last dropped a traveler that brought this thread to my mind, so I thought one more message on the subject would be appropriate.
        For those who dip travelers in caches (and maybe more for those who believe the dipping process is to involved) a new feature makes the process less involved. Now when there are travelers in your inventory and you log a cache, you have three action options for each traveler: - No Action -, Dropped Off or Visited. When you choose the Visited option the traveler is returned to your inventory automatically and a single log entry, which has a new icon with two green arrows pointing in opposite directions, is made in the traveler's logs. Thus eliminating the necessity to retrieve the traveler from the cache. Adding comments (e.g. poetry ;)) or photos to the log still requires a visit to the log to edit the entry (sorry Tygress, no automatic poetry option yet, so your involvement relief may not be significant).

        \|/ Jay / BingOGT
        -+- Georgetown, TX USA
        /|\ "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 9, 2010
          Ah, but it means one verse, not two....

          One of Russ' coins just had about ten dips via the 'visit' function. So clearly it works!

          Barb Yes, I do edit my drop logs. And add pictures! Tygress

          Perhaps this topic has run its course and I am beating a dead horse, but I noticed a new feature that was implemented at geocaching.com since I last dropped a traveler that brought this thread to my mind, so I thought one more message on the subject would be appropriate.
          For those who dip travelers in caches (and maybe more for those who believe the dipping process is to involved) a new feature makes the process less involved. Now when there are travelers in your inventory and you log a cache, you have three action options for each traveler: - No Action -, Dropped Off or Visited. When you choose the Visited option the traveler is returned to your inventory automatically and a single log entry, which has a new icon with two green arrows pointing in opposite directions, is made in the traveler's logs. Thus eliminating the necessity to retrieve the traveler from the cache. Adding comments (e.g. poetry ;)) or photos to the log still requires a visit to the log to edit the entry (sorry Tygress, no automatic poetry option yet, so your involvement relief may not be significant).

          \\|/ Jay / BingOGT
          -+- Georgetown, TX USA
          /|\\ "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."

          > RALF is hanging out down by Canyon Lake.... (I just dropped him).
          >
          > I HAVE taken tbs on road trips and logged along the way -- but this can get, um, rather involved. For you know my logs aren't, um, ordinary.
          >
          > As a tb owner, however, constant activity (maybe not EVERY cache you visit -- unless you post stories and pictures!) at least lets me know you haven't forgotten about my little feller.
          >
          > I am also particular about where I drop -- typically not in multis or puzzles, unless they're something like Necropolis, which sees a LOT of traffic. Or if it's my own, and I don't care how fast it moves out.
          > Unless the traveler asks, I avoid remote caches for the same reason -- I like to give them a great chance at getting moved, and a low chance of getting muggled.
          >
          > A lot of people don't even bother discovering them -- which is fine. But I, myself, like the stories and like adding to them (though I don't tend to follow them after they pass from my hands).
          >
          > That's the beauty of this sport -- something for almost anybody!
          >
          > Hey, at least several of my TBs got to go to GeoWoodstock ... and one of Waterweasel's made it into China!!!
          >
          > BarbJ/Tygress

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

          Professional Logo Designs
          Your business needs a logo! Order today, delivery in 5 days or less.
          logomojo.com