Driving down the road...

  • shawnolsen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
      with my kid, I see this thing at a distance! It was not large it was quite small actually.  First I thought it might be a FAUX BUG, but as I got closer it was clear it was a real live Traveling Bug and it was Traveling at about 45mph in a 35mph zone where my wife picked up a ticket not long ago. It was with great care and diligence that I moved in at the approaching light which happened to be turning RED. Out I jump phone camera at the ready...I run to the back corner of the Black SUV and snap my picture. The owner at first must surely have thought I was a crazy nut.

      They told me as we drove off, that I was the first to spot it and that it has only been on the car for 3 days!

      Fun times,

      Shawn/S6sputnik
    • Reddog Texas
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010
        I had one of those on my truck....but it either fell off or got stolen.  I have a friend who does window stickers and am going to talk to her about making me a new bug that will go on the window, so it won't fall off or get stolen again.  My son and father both have TBs like this also.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2010

          Cool, that sounds like the kind of travel bug I would be interested in.

          Shawn,

          Where is the picture? Please post it so we can all enjoy it.

          \|/ Jay / BingOGT
          -+- Georgetown , TX USA
          /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
            Our own Alex/Slytherin used to do the TB window clings.
            You'll find several trackable rigs at any local caching event. =g=

            BarbJ/Tygress

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
              I got to thinking....can you make your own travel bug magnet from VistaPrint or the like?  If you already have the tracking number and you lost the sticker, you could make your own as a replacement, I guess.  I get "free stuff" emails from VP all the time and car magnets are usually included.  You could even dress it  up and give it your own personal touch.

              Can you "dip" vehicle travel bugs in Events to get mileage on them?

              Denise E. Vajdak  ><>

              The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
              http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak

              Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching!

              On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Reddog Texas <re2dog@...> wrote:

[...]

            • softscienceofficer
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
                The window sticker travel bugs are just like any other TB. You can dip them into events, regular caches, or virtuals, just as you would other TBs. I've got one on my car (but with tinted windows you can't really see it), and I dipped my car into caches I've found on our summer road trip. Now I've got a nice map showing where we stayed.

                Ed/SSO

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:

                > I got to thinking....can you make your own travel bug magnet from VistaPrint
                > or the like? If you already have the tracking number and you lost the
                > sticker, you could make your own as a replacement, I guess. I get "free
                > stuff" emails from VP all the time and car magnets are usually included.
                > You could even dress it up and give it your own personal touch.
                >
                > Can you "dip" vehicle travel bugs in Events to get mileage on them?
                >
                > Denise E. Vajdak ><>
                >
                > The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
                > http://denisevajdak.us http://facebook.com/denisevajdak
                >
                > Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching!
                >

                > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Reddog Texas <re2dog@...> wrote:
                >

                > > I had one of those on my truck....but it either fell off or got stolen. I
                > > have a friend who does window stickers and am going to talk to her about
                > > making me a new bug that will go on the window, so it won't fall off or get
                > > stolen again. My son and father both have TBs like this also.

              • Reddog Texas
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
                  This is exactly what I will do....make a sticker with the same TB number as on the magnet that is gone.

                  Yes...you can dip your vehicle TB in any geocache....I have done it as I have traveled so the TB gets the mileage...it's gone that far, should be able to claim it...lol.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
                    You can dip any TB in any cache -- events or otherwise.
                    Many people have personal coins that they dip to mark/count their travels. I started to do that, but it got to be too much work. Well, I log funny. Even for my own stuff.

                    And for events, there are a lot of personal coins and TBs that get dropped in -- and grabbed back by their owners. Perfectly legitimate behavior, even amid all the esoterica of the TB process.

                    BarbJ - travel bug facilitator - Tygress

                    with my kid, I see this thing at a distance! It was not large it was quite small actually.� First I thought it might be a FAUX BUG, but as I got closer it was clear it was a real live Traveling Bug and it was Traveling at about 45mph in a 35mph zone where my wife picked up a ticket not long ago. It was with great care and diligence�that I�moved in at the approaching light which happened to be turning RED. Out I jump phone camera at the ready...I run to the back corner of the Black SUV and snap my picture. The owner at first must surely have thought I was a crazy nut.
                    They told�me as we drove off, that I was the first to spot it and that it has only been on the car for 3 days!
                    Fun times,
                    Shawn/S6sputnik

                    Natural Arthritis Cure
                    Say goodbye arthritis drugs. Aches disappear with raisin remedy.
                    Secretfoodcures.com
                  • mws001_99
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
                      Howdy all!

                      I am the speeding, SUV driver. (For the record I did not know that was a 35 mph zone. Good to find out on here instead of from The Man!)

                      I have a couple of friends who have TBs on their car windows but they have never been caught. I ordered this one when Kemis sent me a gift certificate to shopgroundspeak.com. They have several sizes and I ordered the smallest available.

                      It was pretty funny when S6sputnik jumped out to photograph the bug. We thought he was trying to get the attention of the driver in the next lane over. When I saw him whip out his phone, I knew the TB had been spotted.

                      Kemis gave me the gift certificate to help jump start my interest in geocaching. I had been stuck at 96 finds since Feb. Thanks to Kemis I have finally crossed over the 100 threshold and thanks to S6sputnik I have a great TB story!

                      A little more back story, S6sputnik beat my daughter and I to a FTF a while back. He was super cool and let her pick a TB to deposit in the geocache. She is still tracking that bug!

                      Mike/AtHomeDaddy

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, shawnolsen@... wrote:

                      > with my kid, I see this thing at a distance! It was not large it was quite
                      > small actually. First I thought it might be a FAUX BUG, but as I got
                      > closer it was clear it was a real live Traveling Bug and it was Traveling at
                      > about 45mph in a 35mph zone where my wife picked up a ticket not long ago. It
                      > was with great care and diligence that I moved in at the approaching light
                      > which happened to be turning RED. Out I jump phone camera at the ready...I
                      > run to the back corner of the Black SUV and snap my picture. The owner at
                      > first must surely have thought I was a crazy nut.
                      >
                      > They told me as we drove off, that I was the first to spot it and that it
                      > has only been on the car for 3 days!
                      >
                      > Fun times,
                      >
                      > Shawn/S6sputnik

                    • mws001_99
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
                        http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4X8SVq3XLsQ/TFHmnKuUILI/AAAAAAAACMw/1hQa8jgSHPg/s1600/tb.jpg

                        A link to a pic of the Speeding TB.

                        Mike/AtHomeDaddy

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, shawnolsen@... wrote:

                        > with my kid, I see this thing at a distance! It was not large it was quite
                        > small actually. First I thought it might be a FAUX BUG, but as I got
                        > closer it was clear it was a real live Traveling Bug and it was Traveling at
                        > about 45mph in a 35mph zone where my wife picked up a ticket not long ago. It
                        > was with great care and diligence that I moved in at the approaching light
                        > which happened to be turning RED. Out I jump phone camera at the ready...I
                        > run to the back corner of the Black SUV and snap my picture. The owner at
                        > first must surely have thought I was a crazy nut.
                        >
                        > They told me as we drove off, that I was the first to spot it and that it
                        > has only been on the car for 3 days!
                        >
                        > Fun times,
                        >
                        > Shawn/S6sputnik

                      • Reddog Texas
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
                          When I was home, visiting Buffalo, NY, a couple of years ago.....I was chased down in Fredonia, NY. I had stopped to get gas and a cacher saw the TB on the truck. They told me they didn't know if they were suppose to take it or just take down the number and "discover" it. LOL! Thankfully, they decided to take down the number and not take the magnet off the truck.