Travel Bug mission completed!

  • softscienceofficer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 27, 2010
      I know they're not for everyone, but I enjoy Travel Bugs. I like it when I can help a TB on its way to its final destination. I also feel kind of bad when a TB I've left in a cache gets muggled. I know its geeky, but I just like to see where stuff has traveled, especially those little maps that track the cache placements for TBs (my love for maps is what attracted me to this insanity).

      So, I finally had a TB that completed its mission! I sent a little plastic Pluto toy that we wanted to get to Disneyland, and from there to Hawaii. The cacher that coordinated both locations was kind enough to post pictures of the dog in both places! I wanted to wake my daughter up to show her where her toy ended up when I received the email. This was even a TB that I thought we had lost.

      So, I'm curious: what are your success stories with TBs or geocoins? How many have actually fulfilled their missions? How many have been lost? Any lost and then found again?

      Ed/SoftScienceOfficer
    • penguin5374
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 27, 2010
        After having a brand new geocoin get muggled days after being placed in its first cache and a couple other headaches with travel bugs, I've been pretty much soured on the trackables experience.  Did have a red Jeep travel bug that went almost 33,000 miles before turning up missing.  That was pretty cool.  I dunno.  I may get back into it at some point.  Wish they'd bring the Jeep TB's back.

        Glad to hear about your TB success story.  That is quite the rarity, it seems.
        Mark
        (BewareOfPenguin)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

        > I know they're not for everyone, but I enjoy Travel Bugs. I like it when I can help a TB on its way to its final destination. I also feel kind of bad when a TB I've left in a cache gets muggled. I know its geeky, but I just like to see where stuff has traveled, especially those little maps that track the cache placements for TBs (my love for maps is what attracted me to this insanity).
        >
        > So, I finally had a TB that completed its mission! I sent a little plastic Pluto toy that we wanted to get to Disneyland, and from there to Hawaii. The cacher that coordinated both locations was kind enough to post pictures of the dog in both places! I wanted to wake my daughter up to show her where her toy ended up when I received the email. This was even a TB that I thought we had lost.
        >
        > So, I'm curious: what are your success stories with TBs or geocoins? How many have actually fulfilled their missions? How many have been lost? Any lost and then found again?
        >
        > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

      • Rich and Di Michelson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
          I love bug stories!

          Our first travel bug was a plastic Lassie dog.  We named her Lassie Come Home and I put her in a California cache while on a business trip.  She went here and there in California, even was picked up by Team Alamo who had something like 5000 caches found at the time, just an amazing amount back then.  Then I had another business trip to San Jose and she was in a cache just nearby, so I was going to pick her up and say hi.  The day before we got there, she was picked up by a newbie cacher and taken to Florida, put into a cache that was then (the next day!) destroyed by a lawn mower.  Poor little Lassie.

          In 2005, we spent 10 weeks in Australia when I was on sabbatical.  We organized a bug race, taking over 20 bugs down under.  We couldn't find a cache large enough to stash them in, so had to plant one ourselves. That lead to meeting a couple of Australian cachers who agreed to look after our caches.  (because of course we had to plant more than one)  Since then, we've kept in touch and have even shipped TBs down under - specifically jeeps and diabetes TBs when they were new.  I've still got all those bugs on our watchlist and it is fun to see where they are.  One of Tygress's got lost for a long time and is now on the road again.  This particular one has so many logs in non-English.  It's fun to look up where in the world it is.  One of fillr's got here just before he left for Connecticut.  So he changed the goal and I think it's still on its way to him.  Some of the others are still moving, but most are lost.

          Last year, we bought 4 keychains from one of the Smithsonian museums in DC, each one had one of our names on it.  We put them in a cache in Blackwater Falls SP, WV and they got points for miles and pictures and getting back to Texas.  Mine is in Canada, not 20 miles from a good non-caching friend.  The others seem to be lost.  I guess people like to steal key chains with their names.  The boys' names are more common than mine!

          We got to help a bug meet its mission recently, taking it from a cache in northeast Texas to Round Rock.  It's now in Corpus, I think.

          I have more bugs on our watchlist than caches!  Like you, I love to see where they go, and where the lost bugs turn up.

          One more story - our Vampire Teeth bug was left in one of those tunnel caches where you have to go into an old water tunnel and walk for miles in the dark.  I thought, ok, at least it's having fun in the dark.  It was put in there by the cache owner, and the cache went unfound for a year.  Then the first finder didn't take the bug!!!  Someone eventually took pity on it and took it out of the cache.  I think it's now lost too.

          I've lost a couple of bugs too.  I physically handed them to a friend of mine who swears he virtually grabbed them from me, but they are still in my inventory.  This is 4 years later.  He claims to have put them in a cache near Bryce Canyon.  One day, maybe I'll even own up to the bug owners.

          --Di
          dirich92

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
            Lessee....

            Well, I've got a long list of MIA. Moral: never send anything out you don't want to lose.
            We had one that was lost right off, then, after I sent out the proxy, it was found again (and immediately lost)(again).
            I've had one make it back home for repairs after a LONG journey.
            At least one was transformed by someone because it was too beat up....
            And I've dropped one TB only to discover its dogtag in my cache bag, so replaced it. I watch that one: Bee Cool is still going!

            The ones with log missions, like "What's the Scoop," eh, not so much success...  though better than nothing, and thus won't stop me from trying --> it came home again, as well. But I think I might retire it, as smaller tbs get better action in these days where a small cache is average. ((or find a smaller scoop.... yeah, that could do))

            The one that I sent out with a MISSION, Hair of the Bob that Left Us, actually made it out to the Carolinas -- Bob Chernow has it now. Kaching!

            I have also discovered that bugs that go into Germany seldom make it out -- though they do move around within the country.

            Coins have less success staying at large. Alas, people are ignorant, forgetful, or naughty.

            Still, I'll keep sending out travellers (and spell them with two ls, the Brit way) -- and giving them the same kind of log treatment I give caches.

            Bwahahaha!!! (Sometimes better -- to whit, the log for the 10 year coin I just dropped.... Though if I've discovered you or your rig a couple times, I probably will stop now.)

            Congrats on your TB reaching its goal! What's it going to do now?

            -BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

            Neulasta® (pegfilgrastim)
            Visit the Official Website to Learn About Neulasta and Receive Info.
            Neulasta.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
              =checking= Of 70 out, 32 have gone missing ... so, yeah, the odds ain't good.
              OTOH, the ones that do keep going appear to make up for those that don't -- and since I like finding 'em, I keep on sending 'em (well, I keep finding things that quirk my humor, and, thus... get to inflict themselves on others)

              But, yeah ... it's a wild world out there.

              Oh, Spirits, protect my TB from danger!
              From natural disaster and cold hearted stranger
              Don't let them eddy in forgotten pouch
              Or be muggled, or broken, or picked up by a slouch
              And most keep them clear of the cachers who steal
              (I mean, come on folks, what is that DEAL?!?)
              Let them keep moving -- make cacher friend
              On Happy Trails that'll ne'er e'er end.

              BarbJ/Tygress

              After having a brand new geocoin get muggled days after being placed in its first cache and a couple other headaches with travel bugs, I've been pretty much soured on the trackables experience.  Did have a red Jeep travel bug that went almost 33,000 miles before turning up missing.  That was pretty cool.  I dunno.  I may get back into it at some point.  Wish they'd bring the Jeep TB's back.

              Glad to hear about your TB success story.  That is quite the rarity, it seems.
              Mark
              (BewareOfPenguin)

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

              > I know they're not for everyone, but I enjoy Travel Bugs. I like it when I can help a TB on its way to its final destination. I also feel kind of bad when a TB I've left in a cache gets muggled. I know its geeky, but I just like to see where stuff has traveled, especially those little maps that track the cache placements for TBs (my love for maps is what attracted me to this insanity).
              >
              > So, I finally had a TB that completed its mission! I sent a little plastic Pluto toy that we wanted to get to Disneyland, and from there to Hawaii. The cacher that coordinated both locations was kind enough to post pictures of the dog in both places! I wanted to wake my daughter up to show her where her toy ended up when I received the email. This was even a TB that I thought we had lost.
              >
              > So, I'm curious: what are your success stories with TBs or geocoins? How many have actually fulfilled their missions? How many have been lost? Any lost and then found again?
              >
              > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

              Neulasta® (pegfilgrastim)
              Visit the Official Website to Learn About Neulasta and Receive Info.
              Neulasta.com
            • Larissa Worthen
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                Oh, man - don't say that about TB's that make it to Germany!  My oldest kiddo, elisabethw99, sent her first TB (Traveling Converse) out into the world in April - it went from TX to AZ and then was picked up by a German geocacher, ploped into a German cache and nothing since (despite may, many logs at the cache site)... :(  She was SO excited to have it go halfway around the world so quickly, but then... nothing since.

                We love grabbing them and sending them on their way - sometimes we get them a bunch of miles (like when daddy took some on a business trip to Ireland and dropped a few in a TB hotel), sometimes, just a few miles (we don't get around like we used to.)

                We need to pick up some more TB tags and get a few more on their way.  The girls just love tracking all the different ones we've found!

                Larissa
                worthen97
              • Shannan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                  We've had mixed sucess...some disappeared, some still out there.  I am releasing 10 this summer (8 down, two to go).  My plan is to then spend my summer vacation next year collecting those that haven't disappeared (their mission is to stay in the continental US).  I figured I would get to see a lot of the US that I haven't seen.  Although, if some end up in California (as one now is) and other's up in Maine and Florida that could present a challenge :).

                  I have one that claims to be in the hands of a cacher since last March (Mr. Cocky Roach)...I e-mailed asking about it twice but have gotten no response.  I'm about ready to call it "lost" and put out the copy.

                  Key is...don't get attached, odds are they will eventually disappear :).  Just enjoy watching them while they are out there.

                  This time, for the 10 new ones I put out, I added a laminated tag with a brief explaination of what one should do with a bug.  I'm hoping this will help them not disappear but who knows.

                  I have one that sat in a cache apparently on the top of a mountain from last September until a few days ago.  I put it in a cache in Maine while up visiting a friend.  It sat in its original cache from June until September, then was placed on top of a mountain only 35 miles from it's original location.  It was finally picked up a few days ago.  I thought I was going to have to go climb the mountain to retrieve it later this month when I'll be back in the area.  That one (Native Texan) has only traveled 35 miles in a year...while other's I've got traveled thousands of miles in their first year.
                  I will say that the smaller the attachment the better.  I have discovered bugs with HUGE things attached and it makes it hard to find a cache to put them in.  Sometimes we'll take them and move them to one of our large caches if we find it a ways from home so it will result in a significant move.  Most the time we leave them behind knowing it may be hard to find a cache to fit them in.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                    I've released one in memory of my dog and it has been to many places in Texas another one is in Canada.  This year my class is going to release travel bugs along with the other 3rd graders on a race to see where they go.
                    Nancy Lee(nanblocker)

                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/CentralTex asGeocachers/ join

                       CentralTexasGeocach ers-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                       CentralTexasGeocach ers-fullfeatured @yahoogroups. com

                       http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                  • amtneer@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                      I have to say, I'm worried about the Germany thing too.... I have one in Germany right now... a coin no less!  But, I am still getting messages on it, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.  The very first TB I released was picked up a couple of days after I released it and held hostage for 2 years before it resurfaced. I released one in memory of a deceased pet, and that one has disappeared, and a couple of my coins have disappeared too.

                      I am of the mind that if I put it out there, I probably won't see it again. I haven't released anything in a while, but I think the next ones will be proxies, a laminated photocopy, especially coins. By best geobuddy is doing that and having great success.

                      Angela
                      TN Girl on the Hunt

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                        sorry about that...
                        Yeah, not a lot of action moving Germany tbs lately.

                        [Sometimes they do wander off to Holland -- it's interesting looking at Dutch logs. I use Babelfish occasionally to get the gist.]

                        BarbJ/Tygress

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010

                          I have not released any travel bugs, and I have only helped a few along their way. I have mixed feelings about them. They are fun to find, I get a kick out of seeing where they started and where they have been and I enjoy helping them along their way when I can, but at times it can be a real pain to find a place to drop them, what with all the micros and smalls in the area. The first one I found was last December in South Austin , by the zoo. I hung on to it for about a month mainly because I had a hard time finding a place to drop it off.

                          Since that experience I have begun dipping them in every cache that I visit, where it is permitted, until I can find a suitable place to drop them. Perhaps I am somewhat picky about where I consider a suitable place to drop a traveler. I don’t drop them in caches that have several MIA travelers in their inventory, maybe it’s just paranoia but I don’t want the same thing to happen to the ones I have touched. Also if a cache has not had a reasonable number of recent finds I am reluctant to drop travelers in them, I don’t want them getting stuck someplace for the winter. Sometimes I won’t drop them because I know that I can contribute significantly to their goal. For example, on a trip that my wife and I took in May that took us through 12 states and back to Texas in two weeks, I carried a travel bug called RALF the Alien from a cache north of Roswell, NM (his second cache) that we found on our first day, all the way back to Texas. I dipped him in every cache (except the earth caches, which won’t let you dip travelers) that I found along the way, adding 25 caches and 2840.5 miles to his total.

                          I see a bunch of you met RALF at the event last Saturday. Now I wish I had come, in addition to meeting some of you, I would probably have been able to see my friend RALF again.

                          \|/ Jay / BingOGT
                          -+- Georgetown , TX USA
                          /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
                            RALF is hanging out down by Canyon Lake.... (I just dropped him).

                            I HAVE taken tbs on road trips and logged along the way -- but this can get, um, rather involved. For you know my logs aren't, um, ordinary.

                            As a tb owner, however, constant activity (maybe not EVERY cache you visit -- unless you post stories and pictures!) at least lets me know you haven't forgotten about my little feller.

                            I am also particular about where I drop -- typically not in multis or puzzles, unless they're something like Necropolis, which sees a LOT of traffic. Or if it's my own, and I don't care how fast it moves out.
                            Unless the traveler asks, I avoid remote caches for the same reason -- I like to give them a great chance at getting moved, and a low chance of getting muggled.

                            A lot of people don't even bother discovering them -- which is fine. But I, myself, like the stories and like adding to them (though I don't tend to follow them after they pass from my hands).

                            That's the beauty of this sport -- something for almost anybody!

                            Hey, at least several of my TBs got to go to GeoWoodstock ... and one of Waterweasel's made it into China!!!

                            BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

                            Health Plans From $50/mo.
                            Compare Low-Cost Health Plans Online. Blue Cross, Aetna and more.
                            healthinsurancesort.com
                          • Heather Ford
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 30, 2010
                              Hi Ed -

                              My daughter and I have a swallowtail geocoin with a goal of getting to my husband's extended family in Fukuoka, Japan.  A nice guy from the Army picked it up in Kansas, took it to New York and Alabama, and dropped it off near Tokyo once he settled into his new assignment there.  The process took six months, but I knew exactly where it was the whole time.  It's been bouncing around between Tokyo and Osaka ever since, and every once in a while it shows up in a new cache without being logged out of the previous one.  We know it's out there, it's just not getting logged regularly.  At least it's in the right country!

                              On the other hand, my GS troop launched a Take a Kid Caching coin in one of BigGuy's caches.  It made it's way to the Houston area, was put in a scout-related cache for premium members only, then disappeared.  I received a message from someone listing it as lost (the cache owner, I presume).  Unfortunately, I can't try to contact previous cache finders because I can't currently afford a premium membership for the troop.  I am presuming we will never see this one again, but wouldn't it be fun if it turned up many, many miles from where it was lost?

                              Heather/Ronin's Gal

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2, 2010

                                Hi Jeri -

                                Thanks for the offer!  I see the cache has been archived, though, so I can read the logs now.  Georeynozos dropped the coin there on 2/7/10, and the cache was muggled sometime between 2/14 and 2/20.  Our plastic coin sleeve was found on the ground relatively near the coords for the cache container.  Well, maybe someday someone will get curious about the coin and check out the code.  Not likely, but you never know...

                                Heather
                                If you will send me the GC code and the approximate date(s) we are looking at, I can send you some of the names of the cachers that visited that cache if you want.

                                Jeri / JestrRulz

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8, 2010
                                  Perhaps this topic has run its course and I am beating a dead horse, but I noticed a new feature that was implemented at geocaching.com since I last dropped a traveler that brought this thread to my mind, so I thought one more message on the subject would be appropriate.
                                  For those who dip travelers in caches (and maybe more for those who believe the dipping process is to involved) a new feature makes the process less involved. Now when there are travelers in your inventory and you log a cache, you have three action options for each traveler: - No Action -, Dropped Off or Visited. When you choose the Visited option the traveler is returned to your inventory automatically and a single log entry, which has a new icon with two green arrows pointing in opposite directions, is made in the traveler's logs. Thus eliminating the necessity to retrieve the traveler from the cache. Adding comments (e.g. poetry ;)) or photos to the log still requires a visit to the log to edit the entry (sorry Tygress, no automatic poetry option yet, so your involvement relief may not be significant).

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 9, 2010
                                    Ah, but it means one verse, not two....

                                    One of Russ' coins just had about ten dips via the 'visit' function. So clearly it works!

                                    Barb Yes, I do edit my drop logs. And add pictures! Tygress

                                    Perhaps this topic has run its course and I am beating a dead horse, but I noticed a new feature that was implemented at geocaching.com since I last dropped a traveler that brought this thread to my mind, so I thought one more message on the subject would be appropriate.
                                    For those who dip travelers in caches (and maybe more for those who believe the dipping process is to involved) a new feature makes the process less involved. Now when there are travelers in your inventory and you log a cache, you have three action options for each traveler: - No Action -, Dropped Off or Visited. When you choose the Visited option the traveler is returned to your inventory automatically and a single log entry, which has a new icon with two green arrows pointing in opposite directions, is made in the traveler's logs. Thus eliminating the necessity to retrieve the traveler from the cache. Adding comments (e.g. poetry ;)) or photos to the log still requires a visit to the log to edit the entry (sorry Tygress, no automatic poetry option yet, so your involvement relief may not be significant).

                                    \\|/ Jay / BingOGT
                                    -+- Georgetown, TX USA
                                    /|\\ "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."

                                    > RALF is hanging out down by Canyon Lake.... (I just dropped him).
                                    >
                                    > I HAVE taken tbs on road trips and logged along the way -- but this can get, um, rather involved. For you know my logs aren't, um, ordinary.
                                    >
                                    > As a tb owner, however, constant activity (maybe not EVERY cache you visit -- unless you post stories and pictures!) at least lets me know you haven't forgotten about my little feller.
                                    >
                                    > I am also particular about where I drop -- typically not in multis or puzzles, unless they're something like Necropolis, which sees a LOT of traffic. Or if it's my own, and I don't care how fast it moves out.
                                    > Unless the traveler asks, I avoid remote caches for the same reason -- I like to give them a great chance at getting moved, and a low chance of getting muggled.
                                    >
                                    > A lot of people don't even bother discovering them -- which is fine. But I, myself, like the stories and like adding to them (though I don't tend to follow them after they pass from my hands).
                                    >
                                    > That's the beauty of this sport -- something for almost anybody!
                                    >
                                    > Hey, at least several of my TBs got to go to GeoWoodstock ... and one of Waterweasel's made it into China!!!
                                    >
                                    > BarbJ/Tygress

                                    Professional Logo Designs
                                    Your business needs a logo! Order today, delivery in 5 days or less.
                                    logomojo.com