Geocaching Lexicon

  • shawnolsen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010
      Quiz at the next meet ..

      J/K

      S6sputnik/Shawn
    • Jana Iannello
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010
        On 7/27/2010 10:18 AM, shawnolsen@... wrote:

        several of these I had never heard of before....I can think of one that's not on the list.....CROMES.....Crow Miles.....As the Crow Flies............  LOL
        Jana

        Quiz at the next meet ..

        J/K

        S6sputnik/Shawn

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010
          Also, the list seems to be old.  The entry under 'mini' is a unofficial cache size between a micro and a regular.  Ever since I've been caching, the 'small' size has been official . . . <G>

          Russ the waterweasel

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010

            Thanks for sharing this.  I don’t know the history of it or how it came to be but I just learned more about cacheing in the last 10 minutes than I have in the last 6 months (or longer).  I had seen references to “dipping” a travel bug but had no idea what it meant and I was too shy to ask the question to anyone.  Now I know and my self esteem is intact.

            Steve/mogasman

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010

              The cryptic nature of the original post left me confused about the message it was intending to convey. Is it a warning that S6sputnik/Shawn intends to administer a quiz at the next event or is it a secret code between the more experienced cachers in the group?

              I have been actively involved in Geocaching for only about a year now and found the referenced web site shortly after I got started; I was useful to me in deciphering some of the logs that I read. Since then I have found The Geocaching Glossary at Geocacher University which appears to be a well maintained list of geocaching terminology.

              Just a week or so ago I found in the terminology section of the Geocaching article on Wikipedia a short, unsorted list of terms, a few of which do not appear in either the geolex or Geocacher University lists.

              So is there an official keeper of the lexicon of Geocaching and if so who is it? I like the list at Geocacher University because it has pictures for many entries.

              \|/ Jay / BingOGT
              -+- Georgetown , TX USA
              /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

              Also, the list seems to be old.  The entry under 'mini' is a unofficial cache size between a micro and a regular.  Ever since I've been caching, the 'small' size has been official . . . <G>

              Russ the waterweasel

                Also, the list seems to be old.  The entry under 'mini' is a unofficial cache size between a micro and a regular.  Ever since I've been caching, the 'small' size has been official . . . <G>

                Russ the waterweasel

                several of these I had never heard of before....I can think of one that's not on the list.....CROMES. ....Crow Miles.....As the Crow Flies....... .....  LOL
                Jana

                Quiz at the next meet ..

                J/K

                S6sputnik/Shawn

              • softscienceofficer
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010
                  Oh, I don't know Shawn. Maybe you could put together a puzzle cache?!

                  Ed/SSO

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, shawnolsen@... wrote:

                  > Wow....the quiz part was a joke (j/k) ..the Lexicon was posted on a
                  > different geocaching forum, and I thought that some of you would find it helpful.
                  > THERE WILL BE NO QUIZ! :)
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Shawn/S6
                  >

                  > In a message dated 7/27/2010 5:05:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  > binghamjc@... writes:
                  >

                  > The cryptic nature of the original post left me confused about the message
                  > it was intending to convey. Is it a warning that S6sputnik/Shawn intends
                  > to administer a quiz at the next event or is it a secret code between the
                  > more experienced cachers in the group?
                  > I have been actively involved in Geocaching for only about a year now and
                  > found the referenced web site shortly after I got started; I was useful to
                  > me in deciphering some of the logs that I read. Since then I have found
                  > _The Geocaching Glossary_
                  > (http://geocacher-u.com/component/option,com_glossary/Itemid,47/) at at <ST1>Univ which appears to be a well maintained list
                  > of geocaching terminology.
                  > Just a week or so ago I found in the terminology section of the
                  > _Geocaching article on Wikipedia_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching) a short,
                  > unsorted list of terms, a few of which do not appear in either the geolex
                  > or Geocacher University lists.
                  > So is there an official keeper of the lexicon of Geocaching and if so who
                  > is it? I like the list at So is the <ST1>Univ because it has pictures for
                  > many entries.
                  >

                  > \|/ Jay / BingOGT
                  > -+- -+- <ST1>, ,
                  > /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”
                  >

                  > ____________________________________

                • Jay Bingham
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010

                    Ok, so it was a secret code then. J

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010
                      Go ahead and ask next time ... we don't mind explaining nomenclature. We may even discuss alternative meanings!
                      The discussion about y'all vs ya'll was so inconclusive, the apostrophe was left off the CenTex caching shirt and we were pointed to Sharpies(tm) to place our own.
                      LOL

                      Seriously. We all started out. There are terms and acronyms I still blink at ... asking is a-ok.
                      Or mail one of us less scary types (Waterweasel is good!  ) privately if you don't want general discussion.

                      Cache on!

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 27, 2010
                          TSK... the entropy of language. Keystrokes dropping left and right. First the serial comma, now the apostrophe of a compound word.....

                          Yes, the sort of stuff a Tygress does get all curmudgeonly about. Sad, inn't it?

                          BarbJ/Tygress

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                            Barb -

                            Not said at all! And when did they stop making a double consonant standard before you add "ed" to the end of a word ("travelled" vs. "traveled")?  I'm too old to be relearning my English grammar all over again.

                            Heather/Ronin's Gal (feeling a bit curmudgeonly myself....)

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                              What about German grammar? I got a chuckle when I read "Sie verstecken Sich" on the Centex shirt. It means "you hide yourself". We'll count to 20 and then come find you!

                              My apologies if this has already been put to rest in a discussion I missed. And I still wear the shirt proudly!

                              --Lee
                              "Suchmann"

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3, 2010
                                Conservation of keystrokes. We only have so many, you know! =g=

                                Or maybe a spate of anti Brit feeling in the dictionary department (the doubling of the L in travelled is ok in a Brit dictionary!) =wink=

                                We can remain anachronists -- shaking our editor's pencils at those kids graffiti'ing the vernacular yard.

                                Barb -- why yes, I do have an English degree -- Tygress....

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 3, 2010
                                  Nah, that's only when muggles are watching, Lee...

                                  Barb -- Mir Deutsche gesprechen is nicht so gut.... -- Tygress

                                  What about German grammar? I got a chuckle when I read "Sie verstecken Sich" on the Centex shirt. It means "you hide yourself". We'll count to 20 and then come find you!

                                  My apologies if this has already been put to rest in a discussion I missed. And I still wear the shirt proudly!

                                  --Lee
                                  "Suchmann"

                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Heather Ford" <urania@...> wrote:

                                  > Barb -
                                  >
                                  > Not said at all! And when did they stop making a double consonant standard before you add "ed" to the end of a word ("travelled" vs. "traveled")?  I'm too old to be relearning my English grammar all over again.
                                  >
                                  > Heather/Ronin's Gal (feeling a bit curmudgeonly myself....)

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                     Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:

                                  PMP Certification Prep
                                  100% Online PMP Exam Prep course from Villanova University. Learn More.
                                  VillanovaU.com