Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Dam Rocks

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 20, 2010
      1> the cache isn't metal (or wasn't when we found it, but that's been years), so a metal detector wouldn't do unless it had metal swag in it. Though I think you'd have more CITO (cans and bottle caps) than cache....
      2> if you've been to this cache, you can see why each search would be new and unique and, especially in this weather, brutal.
      Ask me to go out on bare rip-rap in the spring or fall, not midsummer, and I'll be more cheerful to help you. That's not a whine, that's a fact.
      3> Let us not jump to the false contusions. If you knew me better you'd know the extra smiley request was Tygress humor -- I don't even relog the Rock that Rolls any more. Or most bonus smileys.

      Dam Rocks really *IS* a tough cache -- you simply look at GZ and start whining, unless you are made of sterner, more persistent caching stuff than most of us. HiDude_98's assessment is the best read to date.His stats speak for themselves. And he just re-DNFed it. But it's not: IT'S NOT THERE, it's: Probably didn't look in EVERY possible spot.

      There are some caches that do require more than a couple DNFs to consider missing -- because that little booger could be A> anywhere B> cachers just can't resist IMPROVING caches. So the cache that was just down a hole in the rocks, now has a different hole, and rocks piled on it, because CLEARLY it wasn't hard enough the way the hider put it.
      Though, yes, when people see a string of DNFs, MOST don't look as carefully, because the backbrain assumes it's not there to find. But if this one was taken down for every couple DNFs, it would never be active. It's that kind of cache. And says so.

      But, ultimately, unless folks REALLY want to take on this tough-by nature cache, it's just one smiley, and let it go.... Round Rock is FULL of more amenable caches that don't involve white riprap in midsummer.

      I know, I know, it TAUNTS you, Preciousssss....

      BarbJ/Tygress

      PS, 'Randy' -- since Mrs Captain Picard, who usually reminds us to mind our sign offs is off being Distracted -- even we old farts need to sign our names and handles, so we may be known. Email ids are sometimes helpful, but get separated.... thanks!