Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Necropolis of Britannia Manor III

  • shawnolsen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
      I saw it, read it and I am leaving town on vacation :( ! LOOKS LIKE FUN! surely some of our readers are currently working hard!

      Shawn/s6sputnik

      In a message dated 7/7/2010 10:29:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time, geocaching@... writes:

      Don't miss the new cache published this evening - Necropolis of Britannia Manor III.

      http://coord.info/GC2B034

      I was fortunate enough to be invited to give this cache a test run a month or so ago for the Garriott team through drk knight while it was under final construction, and I can promise you they've created a very special adventure with a fantastic final location!

      It will take you a while to complete but is well worth the effort - and don't forget to take some quarters with you...

      I'm looking forward to seeing who gets the FTF. :-)

      Mike

    • Lisa Campbell
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2010
        I was just reading over the page. Looking forward to the adventure on this one, FTF or not!

        Lisa ~ BackroadsGal

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 8, 2010
          One of my non-geocacher coworkers told me about this one a few weeks ago. Evidently he was on-site for some sort of unrelated photo shoot & heard about it from another person familiar with the final location. Now that it's been posted, I see that it's every bit of what I would expect from Lord British himself!

          Looking over the description, though, I can't help but notice the 2/2 rating. I'm relatively new to geocaching and have obviously not completed this cache yet, but this is an example to me of questioning the relativity/objectiveness of cache ratings. For example, although I might see a "terrain" rating of 2 in the sense that perhaps at none of these places will you need to do much strenuous activity to complete the goal, I do not see how such an adventure could possibly add up to a mere 2 "difficulty"?

          This issue seems most prominent when assigning difficulty ratings to puzzle caches. If a puzzle is extremely difficult to solve, shouldn't that difficulty count toward the rating, even if the final is an LPC in an abandoned parking lot?

          I'm by no means passionate about this issue one way or another, so I hope my tone doesn't convey a sense of conviction. I'm more just "polling the audience" to see what you think about this issue & especially in relation to this cache (to keep it on topic).

          Anyway, I am certainly looking forward to completing this cache, no matter how "difficult" it may really be!!!! :-)

          Matt / Kemis

          > ________________________________

        • Jay Bingham
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 8, 2010

            I too feel like I am relatively new to Geocaching, especially when I compare my found count to the found counts of some of the members of this group, I feel like a mere novice.

            I must agree with you that when I first read the description of this cache I was sure it sounded like it would be rated higher that 2/2. So I was just a little disappointed with the rating, I say disappointed because I have been trying of late to spend my caching efforts filling in my grid of found caches with at least one cache in each rating pair, and since approximately 16% of the caches that I have found are 2/2’s it dampens my desire to go do this cache just a little.

            I agree that the difficulty of the puzzle should be a factor in assigning the difficulty rating to the cache, and I think that a puzzle cache should have automatically have a bias added to the difficulty just because they are puzzle caches, just as I think that micros and nanos should automatically have a bias or handicap just because they are micros and nanos. However, I am not certain that the issue is any more prominent with puzzle caches than with other caches. In my experience the ratings given by each cache hider are influenced by his/her experience in both finding and hiding caches.

            I do feel somewhat cheated when I cannot find a cache or it takes me a long time or many return visits to find a cache that is rated at a 2 or less. But by the same token when I easily find a higher rated cache I feel that I have been paid back.

            \|/ Jay / BingOGT
            -+- Georgetown , TX USA
            /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

            One of my non-geocacher coworkers told me about this one a few weeks ago. Evidently he was on-site for some sort of unrelated photo shoot & heard about it from another person familiar with the final location. Now that it's been posted, I see that it's every bit of what I would expect from Lord British himself!

            Looking over the description, though, I can't help but notice the 2/2 rating. I'm relatively new to geocaching and have obviously not completed this cache yet, but this is an example to me of questioning the relativity/objectiveness of cache ratings. For example, although I might see a "terrain" rating of 2 in the sense that perhaps at none of these places will you need to do much strenuous activity to complete the goal, I do not see how such an adventure could possibly add up to a mere 2 "difficulty"?

            This issue seems most prominent when assigning difficulty ratings to puzzle caches. If a puzzle is extremely difficult to solve, shouldn't that difficulty count toward the rating, even if the final is an LPC in an abandoned parking lot?

            I'm by no means passionate about this issue one way or another, so I hope my tone doesn't convey a sense of conviction. I'm more just "polling the audience" to see what you think about this issue & especially in relation to this cache (to keep it on topic).

            Anyway, I am certainly looking forward to completing this cache, no matter how "difficult" it may really be!!!! :-)

            Matt / Kemis

            > ________________________________

          • moosiegirltx
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 9, 2010
              Erin (AdventuresWithWags) and I were 2nd to find behind kayst, but she's right, there were LOTS of testers in the logbook! They included the 3 founders of geocaching dot com, who got a sneak preview when they were here for SXSW. I recall Adam being really excited about meeting them at a cache down on the river, and hearing about this new one.

              Erin and I were lucky enough to meet Richard's friend Dale at the cache (we weren't done with it just yet), and then as we were getting into the final, Richard himself showed up! That was quite exciting. It started raining as we were signing the log, and we were soaked by the time we got back to Erin's car, but it was WORTH IT. Very creative. It's certain to win the hero's portion of awards for this year.

              For those who wonder, it's kid friendly, as long as your kid likes haunted houses and daddy long-legs! Not a long hike and not real strenuous (I'm horribly out of shape, and I managed it). The chapters leading up to the final are all <500 feet car to cache.

              Wayne will be here this coming week for 5 days (not sure what 5 days, probably M-F), and I'll definitely be dragging him off to do it, if anyone is interested in going with us. :)

              Candy
              moosiegirl

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:

              > Don't miss the new cache published this evening - Necropolis of Britannia Manor III.
              >
              > http://coord.info/GC2B034
              >
              > I was fortunate enough to be invited to give this cache a test run a month or so ago for the Garriott team through drk knight while it was under final construction, and I can promise you they've created a very special adventure with a fantastic final location!
              >
              > It will take you a while to complete but is well worth the effort - and don't forget to take some quarters with you...
              >
              > I'm looking forward to seeing who gets the FTF. :-)
              >
              > Mike

            • Danielle Skelton
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 9, 2010
                About how long do you think it to you in total to do it?  we were thinking about trying it out tomorrow night?

                Danielle/Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

                On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:03 PM, moosiegirltx <candylind@...> wrote:

                Erin (AdventuresWithWags) and I were 2nd to find behind kayst, but she's right, there were LOTS of testers in the logbook! They included the 3 founders of geocaching dot com, who got a sneak preview when they were here for SXSW. I recall Adam being really excited about meeting them at a cache down on the river, and hearing about this new one.

                Erin and I were lucky enough to meet Richard's friend Dale at the cache (we weren't done with it just yet), and then as we were getting into the final, Richard himself showed up! That was quite exciting. It started raining as we were signing the log, and we were soaked by the time we got back to Erin's car, but it was WORTH IT. Very creative. It's certain to win the hero's portion of awards for this year.

                For those who wonder, it's kid friendly, as long as your kid likes haunted houses and daddy long-legs! Not a long hike and not real strenuous (I'm horribly out of shape, and I managed it). The chapters leading up to the final are all <500 feet car to cache.

                Wayne will be here this coming week for 5 days (not sure what 5 days, probably M-F), and I'll definitely be dragging him off to do it, if anyone is interested in going with us. :)

                Candy
                moosiegirl

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:

                > Don't miss the new cache published this evening - Necropolis of Britannia Manor III.
                >
                > http://coord.info/GC2B034
                >
                > I was fortunate enough to be invited to give this cache a test run a month or so ago for the Garriott team through drk knight while it was under final construction, and I can promise you they've created a very special adventure with a fantastic final location!
                >
                > It will take you a while to complete but is well worth the effort - and don't forget to take some quarters with you...
                >
                > I'm looking forward to seeing who gets the FTF. :-)
                >
                > Mike

              • SailorRory
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 29 8:14 PM
                  Good Evening fellow Geocachers, I hope you do not mind a Virginian Geocacher visiting the fair city of Austin for the next several days.

                  I am attending a conference Thurs, Fri, and half day Sat and intend to find and log the Britannia Manor cache on Saturday and was wondering if anyone would like to join me on this endeavor?

                  You can reach me at rorysturm@... or by cellphone 804-426-3700.

                  Take care and enjoy your day

                  SailorRory aka SailorRory & the Winch Wenches
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 29 8:49 PM
                    I'm sure you can hitch up with someone --
                    If you can spare the time from caching (and there are many caches in the vicinity) come to the 2009 Centex Geocaching Awards Ceremony (GC2EWD7)  http://coord.info/GC2EWD7
                    When: Saturday, October 2nd from 11am to 1pm.
                    Where: Mueller Lake (by the old Mueller Airport)

                    And I'm sure you'll find a cache buddy or buddies to do that fantabulous cache!

                    'Best!

                    BarbJ/Tygress

                    Good Evening fellow Geocachers, I hope you do not mind a Virginian Geocacher visiting the fair city of Austin for the next several days.

                    I am attending a conference Thurs, Fri, and half day Sat and intend to find and log the Britannia Manor cache on Saturday and was wondering if anyone would like to join me on this endeavor?

                    You can reach me at rorysturm@... or by cellphone 804-426-3700.

                    Take care and enjoy your day

                    SailorRory aka SailorRory & the Winch Wenches

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:

                    Refinance Now 3.7% FIXED
                    $160,000 Mortgage for $547/mo. FREE. No Obligation. Get 4 Quotes!
                    Mortgage.LendGo.com
                  • Denise Vajdak
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 14, 2010
                      For those that have completed this cache, approximately how much time does it take to start and complete the entire cache if you're not rushing through it?  About how many miles do you have to travel?

                      Denise E. Vajdak  ><>

                      The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
                      http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak

                      Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching!

                    • shawnolsen@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 14, 2010
                        Denise,

                        3 hours and 20 Miles should do it

                        Shawn/s6sputnik

                      • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 14, 2010
                          I agree with Shawn. 2.5 - 3 hours. You can't start after 5:15 pm or so because the locations for stages 1 and 2 close at 6 pm. Sometimes that's a hard time, sometimes there is some flex time there.

                          Jeri / JestrRulz

                          In a message dated 10/14/2010 4:04:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time, denise.vajdak@... writes:
                          For those that have completed this cache, approximately how much time does it take to start and complete the entire cache if you're not rushing through it?  About how many miles do you have to travel?
                        • Reddog Texas
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 14, 2010
                            I would give at least 4 hrs...just to be sure you can get it done.  The 1st part of Chapter 2 held us up for about an hour. I think it's one of those that if you are going to find it fast, you see it right off, otherwise, you might be roaming around for awhile.  This area does close at 6 PM, but gates don't always close right on time.

                            Chapter 4....that area can close at 5 or earlier.  First time I went, it was still open at 630 or so.  But, when I went back with a friend so she could do this cache, we got there before 5 and it was already closed.

                            The whole puzzle is pretty straight forward and easy to figure out all in all.

                            Re2dog (Dawn)

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 15, 2010
                              Are dogs allowed at all of the locations?

                              Brent (BandA)

                            • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 15, 2010
                                The signs say dogs aren't allowed at locations 1 or 2 but I just left mine in the car. Later I saw a woman walking three huge dogs at the same location.

                                The only place my dog really got to get out of the car was at the Glorious Lagoon and the finale.

                                Jeri / JestrRulz

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 17, 2010
                                  Don't really know why not. Only stop that might be iffy would be the chapter 4 area...but that doesn't take too long, so dog could stay in the car if need be.

                                  Re2dog (Dawn)