Slightly Off-topic, but I think the spirit of geocaching/letterboxing is prevalent in this charity project

  • Danielle Skelton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2010
      http://www.bookcrossing.com/

      The deal works like a travel bug.  You buy (or recycle) a book, register it on this site, follow the direction for labeling and leave it somewhere for a child/adult to find.  He or she "captures" the book, reads it and then leaves it for another child/adult to find.

      Looks like it is a grassroots effort, but so was geocaching at one point, no?  As of today, there are 361 books in circulation in Texas, 17 of which are in Austin, 20 in Round Rock, and an amazing 97 in Kerrville.  Neat idea, I think, and it involves air conditioning so great for the summer.

      From their website:
      About BookCrossing
      what is bookcrossing?

      BookCrossing is many things. Most of all, it's the act of giving a book a unique identity, thus giving its reader the ability to stay connected and watch it pass through the hands of people all over the world.

      our mission

      to connect people through books

      how we do it

      our free online archival and tracking system allows users to connect with other readers, journal and review literature, give their books lives and track their journeys.

      who we are

      BookCrossers themselves are the spirit of BookCrossing, we simply provide form and function by advocating literacy and building relationships around the physical objects of books. The team *link to team page* that continues to make all of this happen is based in Sandpoint, Idaho.

      Danielle/Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2010
        My daughter, for one, will love that. Thanks.
        Jim -- JforceAtx