Re: Must-do San Diego caches?

  • lowracer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
      I don't have any out in the ocean. Try this one to start (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=07112c23-9a03-4eab-a07a-04fad6855048). Once you hike up there pretty much every cache up on that mesa is mine. Not a micro in the bunch. All ammo cans filled with swag. At least it was that way when I left town a year ago.

      -Mark

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mary Beth Booth <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Mark, are yours the ones that google maps shows out in the ocean at Torrey Pines? I pretty well elimintaed those from the list considering where they looked like on the map! I thought "how the hell do you get to a cache out in the ocean without a kayak or boat?" We have been to San Diego (before caching was invented) so we have already done the zoo/animal park/sea world thing. This time we are looking for more walking/hiking, great views, etc. We had already plan to cache around Torrey Pines and Balboa Park to see all the fabulous gardens and cottages, but we will definitely add the 3 virtuals at Point Loma to the list. As Anne said, the caching density in the area is mind-boggling. I was getting overwhelmed just looking at it. So the suggestions are much appreciated. Please send more if you think of them.
      > Mary Beth
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Mary Beth Booth
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
        All ammo cans and no micros? Pat may kiss you if you're up there when we go. Thanks for the heads-up
        Mary Beth
        (emmy-n-sapphie)

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
          Last log for "It Sneaks up on San Diego" (GCZ1VE):

          "We took the adventurous way to the cache by crossing the creek unnecessarily and dodging LOTS of poison oak. Very cool location and set up for the cache. The container lid has some cracks, but the contents are dry. After putting things back, we went the easy way out which consisted of bulldozing our way through walls of plants a foot taller than we were. This is where I came just inches from stepping on an angry rattler. I never saw it because I jumped 10 feet in the air, but Triple Crown's eyes got as big as his head as he looked down at my feet. I also removed a tick from inside my pocket as TC was "wrapping things up." Isn't caching fun???!!!"
          I don't think so...

          Mary Beth
          emmy-n-sapphie

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
            So how much different than here?

            California, Poison Oak.  Texas, Poison Ivy.
            California, rattlers.  Texas, rattlers.
            Ticks, well, with my experience, California 1, Texas 0.

            Caching fun?  I recently asked that question myself, while extracting cactus thorns and trying to detach Devils head thorns in 102 degree heat.  But still I cache.  Crazy sport.

            Carlin/1Carlin

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
              We got chiggers. I've suffered more chigger bites than ticks.
              Now, Northern California's foxtails came in wonderous and painful variety. And I'd rather fight with greenbriar than blackberry cane. But that's NORTH....

              BarbJ =Just back from good ol' CA= Tygress

              I'm biased of course but I have a "45-GALLON CACHE" up on a cliff overlooking the ocean, Torrey Pines area. Local cachers cannot figure out how I got that Hugh Jass cache up there, and I'm not telling. Bunch of other ammo can caches I put up on that cliff too. Also check out "It Sneaks up on San Diego."

              -Mark
              aka lowracer

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "emmy_n_sapphie" <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

              > We're going to San Diego for business and pleasure (actually staying in LaJolla but going to a convention at the San Diego Convention Center). Do any of you have recommendations for "can't miss" caches in the area? Y'all did right by us with your recommendations last year when we went to San Francisco. Thanks.
              > Mary Beth & Pat
              > (emmy-n-sapphie)

              Top-Rated MBA Online
              Earn Your MBA In 2 Years. No GMAT Required. 100% Online Program!
              FloridaTechOnlineMBA.com?