Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Must-do San Diego caches?

  • bananapoo@stxga.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2010
      There is a virtual in La Jolla in a park on the coast. First off, breathe-taking views and bring a camera and be there at sunset. You would be looking for a green copper box on a pole with a bunch of letters and names on it. Not at a computer so I couldn't tell you the name of it right now. Look at my find in April/May 2008 to find it, or look at the map.

      We also ended up eating some really tasty burgers in La Jolla that were all organic. Not so memorable micro was down the street from it, across from a neat looking post office.

      Try and make it to downtown San Diego near the cruise ship terminal. There is a small area called Seaside Village? that a hobo lives at, and he will help you find a micro well hidden in the wharf rocks. We bought him a diet coke for his help, because that was what he liked to drink. Also out there was a giant statue of that famous times photo of the sailor and nurse kissing after WW2.

      San Diego was neat, but we didn't get to find that many geocaches while out there. I bet there are more.

      Bananapoo

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: "emmy_n_sapphie" <emmy_n_sapphie@...>
      Sender: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 23:50:48 -0000
      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Must-do San Diego caches?

      We're going to San Diego for business and pleasure (actually staying in LaJolla but going to a convention at the San Diego Convention Center). Do any of you have recommendations for "can't miss" caches in the area? Y'all did right by us with your recommendations last year when we went to San Francisco. Thanks.
      Mary Beth & Pat
      (emmy-n-sapphie)

    • lowracer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2010
        I'm biased of course but I have a "45-GALLON CACHE" up on a cliff overlooking the ocean, Torrey Pines area. Local cachers cannot figure out how I got that Hugh Jass cache up there, and I'm not telling. Bunch of other ammo can caches I put up on that cliff too. Also check out "It Sneaks up on San Diego."

        -Mark
        aka lowracer

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "emmy_n_sapphie" <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

        > We're going to San Diego for business and pleasure (actually staying in LaJolla but going to a convention at the San Diego Convention Center). Do any of you have recommendations for "can't miss" caches in the area? Y'all did right by us with your recommendations last year when we went to San Francisco. Thanks.
        > Mary Beth & Pat
        > (emmy-n-sapphie)

      • Mrs. Captain Picard
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2010

          I've cached there 4 times now and I LOVE Point Loma starting with the virtual at the lighthouse and the ones at the military cemetery.  BREATHTAKING!  Closes at 5pm.  Then, WALK to the caches in Balboa Park, the sight of a world's fair long ago.  We parked at the gymnasium and had a great afternoon caching.

          Have fun!

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2010
            Don't know about caches -- but we surely enjoyed Scripps Aquarium there in La Jolla, and the rocky beach below at low tide. Even found octopii.

            Of course, the Zoo and Wild Animal Park are must sees in that regard. I'm sure there are caches around Balboa Park (where the zoo is).

            Caching hadn't been invented yet when we lived down that way.

            [Of course, if you feel like getting out of town -- go up to Temecula/Hemet (about 90 minutes) and go see the Diamond Valley Reservoir. You can be smug knowing Waterweasel had a major hand in its construction -- he was the on site engineer.]

            -BarbJ/Tygress

            We're going to San Diego for business and pleasure (actually staying in LaJolla but going to a convention at the San Diego Convention Center). Do any of you have recommendations for "can't miss" caches in the area? Y'all did right by us with your recommendations last year when we went to San Francisco. Thanks.
            Mary Beth & Pat
            (emmy-n-sapphie)

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

          • Mary Beth Booth
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
              Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Mark, are yours the ones that google maps shows out in the ocean at Torrey Pines? I pretty well elimintaed those from the list considering where they looked like on the map! I thought "how the hell do you get to a cache out in the ocean without a kayak or boat?" We have been to San Diego (before caching was invented) so we have already done the zoo/animal park/sea world thing. This time we are looking for more walking/hiking, great views, etc. We had already plan to cache around Torrey Pines and Balboa Park to see all the fabulous gardens and cottages, but we will definitely add the 3 virtuals at Point Loma to the list. As Anne said, the caching density in the area is mind-boggling. I was getting overwhelmed just looking at it. So the suggestions are much appreciated. Please send more if you think of them.
              Mary Beth

                 http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/CentralTex asGeocachers/ join
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 CentralTexasGeocach ers-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                 CentralTexasGeocach ers-fullfeatured @yahoogroups. com

                 http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

              Get Free Email with Video Mail Video Chat!

            • lowracer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
                I don't have any out in the ocean. Try this one to start (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=07112c23-9a03-4eab-a07a-04fad6855048). Once you hike up there pretty much every cache up on that mesa is mine. Not a micro in the bunch. All ammo cans filled with swag. At least it was that way when I left town a year ago.

                -Mark

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
                  All ammo cans and no micros? Pat may kiss you if you're up there when we go. Thanks for the heads-up
                  Mary Beth
                  (emmy-n-sapphie)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
                    Last log for "It Sneaks up on San Diego" (GCZ1VE):

                    "We took the adventurous way to the cache by crossing the creek unnecessarily and dodging LOTS of poison oak. Very cool location and set up for the cache. The container lid has some cracks, but the contents are dry. After putting things back, we went the easy way out which consisted of bulldozing our way through walls of plants a foot taller than we were. This is where I came just inches from stepping on an angry rattler. I never saw it because I jumped 10 feet in the air, but Triple Crown's eyes got as big as his head as he looked down at my feet. I also removed a tick from inside my pocket as TC was "wrapping things up." Isn't caching fun???!!!"
                    I don't think so...

                    Mary Beth
                    emmy-n-sapphie

                    I'm biased of course but I have a "45-GALLON CACHE" up on a cliff overlooking the ocean, Torrey Pines area. Local cachers cannot figure out how I got that Hugh Jass cache up there, and I'm not telling. Bunch of other ammo can caches I put up on that cliff too. Also check out "It Sneaks up on San Diego."

                    -Mark
                    aka lowracer

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "emmy_n_sapphie" <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

                    > We're going to San Diego for business and pleasure (actually staying in LaJolla but going to a convention at the San Diego Convention Center). Do any of you have recommendations for "can't miss" caches in the area? Y'all did right by us with your recommendations last year when we went to San Francisco. Thanks.
                    > Mary Beth & Pat
                    > (emmy-n-sapphie)

                  • Carlin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
                      So how much different than here?

                      California, Poison Oak.  Texas, Poison Ivy.
                      California, rattlers.  Texas, rattlers.
                      Ticks, well, with my experience, California 1, Texas 0.

                      Caching fun?  I recently asked that question myself, while extracting cactus thorns and trying to detach Devils head thorns in 102 degree heat.  But still I cache.  Crazy sport.

                      Carlin/1Carlin

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
                        We got chiggers. I've suffered more chigger bites than ticks.
                        Now, Northern California's foxtails came in wonderous and painful variety. And I'd rather fight with greenbriar than blackberry cane. But that's NORTH....

                        BarbJ =Just back from good ol' CA= Tygress

                        I'm biased of course but I have a "45-GALLON CACHE" up on a cliff overlooking the ocean, Torrey Pines area. Local cachers cannot figure out how I got that Hugh Jass cache up there, and I'm not telling. Bunch of other ammo can caches I put up on that cliff too. Also check out "It Sneaks up on San Diego."

                        -Mark
                        aka lowracer

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "emmy_n_sapphie" <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

                        > We're going to San Diego for business and pleasure (actually staying in LaJolla but going to a convention at the San Diego Convention Center). Do any of you have recommendations for "can't miss" caches in the area? Y'all did right by us with your recommendations last year when we went to San Francisco. Thanks.
                        > Mary Beth & Pat
                        > (emmy-n-sapphie)

                        Top-Rated MBA Online
                        Earn Your MBA In 2 Years. No GMAT Required. 100% Online Program!
                        FloridaTechOnlineMBA.com?