Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] New Cacher, ATX Caches

  • Mrs. Captain Picard
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
      Hi Elise!

      Oh, don't EVEN get me started about micros and hints.  Ask me sometime when you see me at an event about my theory that geocaching IS whatever you first experienced it, so if you first found a nasty micro, then you think ALL geocaches should be nasty micros.

      ANYWAY,....

      I DO think there's alot of regional culture in geocaching (again, find me at an event) but what I wanted to add to this discussion was that caching in cities with tall buildings is completely different than caching elsewhere.  I once cached in downtown San Francisco and gave up because my GPS couldn't even decide which block I needed to be in.  If there hadn't been a VERY detailed hint, I never would have even found the one or two caches I found that day.  So I would say that a good part of the reason hints are so detailed in cities is that they're NECESSARY due to poor satellite reception.  Second, and I often recommend this in high muggle areas, MAKE THE HINT A SPOILER so the seeker can go right to the cache and retrieve it without attracting the attention a silly-looking search would.  One of my pet peeves is when people say "be stealthy" when they've hidden a micro in the huge shrub at the front door of the 24-hour WalMart.  PUH-LEEZ!  Just tell me it's a skirt lifter and I'll get in and out before the security guy can do a u-turn in his golf cart, for heaven's sake!

      Bottom line, don't cache among tall buildings unless there's a really good hint, and good, MEANINGFUL hints are always helpful, but there are people who honestly just want to make you squirm, so choose your caches accordingly.

      Hope to see you at an event soon!

      Cheers,

      On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

      Hey all,

      I suppose this is a bit of an odd question.

      I'm a fairly new geocacher, and I've discovered something interesting: I prefer geocaching away from home.  London?  Love it.  NYC?  Perfect.  Wisconsin?  Fair enough.

      Why, you ask?

      It's because of this: Caches in other areas make sense.  Those in my neck of the woods, well, don't.  And I wonder why, or what I'm doing wrong.

      I've noticed two main things when caching in other areas.

      First off, the hints exist, and are useful.  As an example, in my recent NY expedition, one of the hints was "approach the brown tower from stone, first on the left, looking back, take a seat."  However, one of the caches in my area has the ever-helpful, "I'm shocked you need a hint."

      Second off, folks seem to love micros in my area.

      So my question is: Is it just that the people placing caches in my local area are trying to make them as obscure and inaccessible as possible, or is it something about the local caching culture?

      Either way, it's quite frustrating - it makes the barrier to entry shockingly high.

      Thoughts?  Bueller?  Bueller?

      Cheers,

      Elise/PandaChic

    • Carlin

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
          First off, my machine sent the reply before I had a chance to reply

          Hi Elise,

          I have noticed different styles of local culture and I enjoy the changes.  I HATE to cache for difficult finds in high muggle areas, but I LOVE a very creative difficult hide.  When I first started out, I loved the nano's because they were new.  I still love them, but signing and replacing the log makes me frustrated....I would prefer to virtually sign them.   Hints that make me think more abstractly are fun, but I would want a spoiler hint in muggle urban areas.  The evil caches, true to their name, giving any hint would be pointless, since the point is to make you really work for the find.   I have a few fairly easy hides out there, and still I put spoiler hints, since to me, the idea is to have the cache found.  But when I get off my lazy behind and put a creative tricky hide out there, there won't be a spoiler hint!

          Carlin/1Carlin

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
            Hi, Elise/Panda Chic, and Welcome!

            Hmmm.... "I'm shocked you need a hint" -- was there anything like a junction box or electrical outlet there?

            Some folks around here do like to give straightforward hints that essentially give the cache away. Others prefer word games: e.g. "It's starring you in the face" is not a typo. After all, the hunt is as important as the find.

            Other hiders prefer to remain obscure. Others forget that not everyone looks at a hide and recognizes the obvious spot. [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up -- or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.

            Every area has its certain caching style as well ... which takes some synchronizing to (the difficulty rating can be your friend).

            And maybe many of us have come to rely on our phone-a-friend network (events are more than greet & eats) instead of hints.

            Reading the logs can be helpful. *CAN BE* -- even if they don't say much. If all you get is a string of TFTC, there's probably nothing particularly striking or memorable about the hide -- but it does take time to learn the regionalism.

            Sorry things are so difficult for you -- it's not that we're trying to be cliquish, we're just in an odd CenTex rhythm. And each hider is unique.

            Certainly many of us are available to lend help on particularly troublesome caches. Of course, email is so after the fact.
            But many (like me) tend to only give our cell numbers face-to-face, not over the internet. Thus the importance of attending events. There should be a Summer Solstice event in a couple weeks. Watch for it!

            And watch for cache expeditions ... folks will post here that they're heading out to x, y, and/or z -- when such an offer is placed here in the forum, it's an invite to everyone.

            Hang in there -- the strange lingo of the local cache will slowly make itself clear.

            BarbJ/Tygress

            Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:54 AM

[...]

            $653/Month for $150,000 Mortgage!
            Free Quotes. No SSN or Credit Check.
            DeltaPrimeRefinance.com
          • The Outlaw
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
              Hi Elise,
              First off, welcome! As Nathan has stated, there are a lot of regional differences as you travel across the country. My dad lives in Massachusetts, and up there you have almost no park and grab caches. Those are the ones you find here in abundance in parking lots all around the area. Most caches in the Northeast are either long hikers, multis, or puzzles. I am convinced this is because of the differences in weather in the areas involved. If they had 100 degree days in Massachusetts, they would probably have more easy caches. Puzzles give them something to do when they are snowed in.
              As for hints, I agree with you that there seems to be a lot more lame hints in this area then other areas. My pet peeve is the hint that says "None needed" or something along those lines. Cache hiders have the option to leave the hint blank if they don't have anything of value to use. Another lame hint is to re-state the container. If the type of container is stated in the main body of the cache page, re-stating it in the hint is pretty useless. Other hints don't make a lick of sense until AFTER you have found the cache!

              I very rarely look at the hints, preferring instead to read through previous logs for information that may be inadvertantly provided by previous finders. For example, if a log refers to a lot of Poison Ivy or Green briar close to the cache, looking in areas where those plants are thickest may lead you to the cache. Of course if you are surrounded by PI and Greenbriar, this may not be as helpful, but it is fairly rare when you find yourself in that situation.
              Logs which involve having to reach may yield clues to the height of the cache.
              Another helpful item is to build a list of Phone a friend contacts. Central Texas cachers are general among the most friendly and helpful you will find anywhere. We also have a TON of events, which are just gatherings of cachers to eat, meet, tell tall caching tales etc. This is a great way to meet other cachers and develop your contact list.

              Hope this helps.
              Wayne Lind
              AKA The Outlaw

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

              > Hey all,
              >
              > I suppose this is a bit of an odd question.
              >
              > I'm a fairly new geocacher, and I've discovered something interesting: I prefer geocaching away from home. London? Love it. NYC? Perfect. Wisconsin? Fair enough.
              >
              > Why, you ask?
              >
              > It's because of this: Caches in other areas make sense. Those in my neck of the woods, well, don't. And I wonder why, or what I'm doing wrong.
              >
              > I've noticed two main things when caching in other areas.
              >
              > First off, the hints exist, and are useful. As an example, in my recent NY expedition, one of the hints was "approach the brown tower from stone, first on the left, looking back, take a seat." However, one of the caches in my area has the ever-helpful, "I'm shocked you need a hint."
              >
              > Second off, folks seem to love micros in my area.
              >
              > So my question is: Is it just that the people placing caches in my local area are trying to make them as obscure and inaccessible as possible, or is it something about the local caching culture?
              >
              > Either way, it's quite frustrating - it makes the barrier to entry shockingly high.
              >
              > Thoughts? Bueller? Bueller?
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Elise/PandaChic

            • Mike Detlefsen
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                gumbietygress@... wrote:

                > [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up --
                > or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged
                > gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the
                > cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.

                On the other hand, maybe the guy searching for it had updated the area
                info in his iPod Touch that morning, read the entry when he got there,
                looked in the place indicated, and still couldn't find it. :-)

                Mike
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                  =smile=
                  But a lot of folks don't even ATTEMPT that one. They see the damage, dnf without looking, and drive on.
                  Others -- 'sweat gets in your eyes' is a lovely excuse!

                  We, of course, tend to place ornery hides -- we are MEAN cachers, Waterweasel and I. [But they don't get muggled often!]

                  BarbJ -- wasn't talking SPECIFICALLY about you, Mike ;-) -- Tygress

                  > [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up --
                  > or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged
                  > gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the
                  > cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.

                  On the other hand, maybe the guy searching for it had updated the area
                  info in his iPod Touch that morning, read the entry when he got there,
                  looked in the place indicated, and still couldn't find it. :-)

                  Mike

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                    And sometimes that sucker is gone . . . However, I do know it was there last week, because I replaced the log. Since then . . . ?

                    Russ the waterweasel
                    >> [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up --
                    >> or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged
                    >> gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the
                    >> cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.
                    >>
                    >On the other hand, maybe the guy searching for it had updated the area
                    >info in his iPod Touch that morning, read the entry when he got there,
                    >looked in the place indicated, and still couldn't find it. :-)
                    >

                    >Mike

                  • Mike Detlefsen
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                      gumbietygress@... wrote:

                      > BarbJ -- wasn't talking SPECIFICALLY about you, Mike ;-) -- Tygress
                      Oh, sure. Next thing is that you'll be telling me that my paranoia is
                      groundless. Tell that to the black helicopters that follow me around.

                      Just kidding.

                      They aren't black.

                      :-)

                      Mike
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010

                        From: Mike Detlefsen <detmik64@...>
                        To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:41:07 -0500

                        gumbietygress@... wrote:

                        > BarbJ -- wasn't talking SPECIFICALLY about you, Mike ;-) -- Tygress
                        Oh, sure. Next thing is that you'll be telling me that my paranoia is
                        groundless. Tell that to the black helicopters that follow me around.

                        Those a dragonflies, Mike. We grow 'em BIG in Texas.

                        Just kidding.

                        Sure!

                        They aren't black.

                        The green striping is a particular asset.

                        :-)

                        Just because you're paranoid does not mean things are not out to get you....

                        I *know* greenbriar has it in for me. And there is a special enmity that fire ants hold me in.

                        BarbJ/Tygress

                        Project Management
                        100% Online. Project Management certificate from Villanova. Free info.
                        VillanovaProjectManagement.com
                      • Mike Detlefsen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                          gumbietygress@... wrote:

                          > Those a dragonflies, Mike. We grow 'em BIG in Texas.
                          But the fillings in my teeth pick up their radio messages to each other!

                          Nope. Helicopters.

                          Mike
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                            hmmm... might be time to switch to ceramic (or decaf!) =g=
                            -B/T

                            > Those a dragonflies, Mike. We grow 'em BIG in Texas.
                            But the fillings in my teeth pick up their radio messages to each other!

                            Nope. Helicopters.

                            Mike

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:

                            TODAY: iPads for $23.74?
                            Special Report: Apple iPads are being auctioned for an incredible 80% off!
                            QuiBids.com
                          • Dave Marquardt
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 11, 2010
                              Are there details?  I've seen references to this hot line, but no details.  Thanks.

                              -Dave
                               Balde Runner

                              On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM, <jestrrrulz@...> wrote:

                              Don't forget Austin's Geocaching Hotline!!

                              Jeri / JestrRulz

                              In a message dated 6/2/2010 11:01:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time, grn.beret.2b@... writes:
                              Typically if you email the owner, they're happy to give you a hint or two to help you out the next time you make it near the cache.

                            • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 11, 2010
                                Hey Dave:

                                Attend an event and collect some phone numbers! : )  Calling local cache owners is a great help!

                                Jeri / JestrRulz