Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] New Cacher, ATX Caches

  • Nathaniel D
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
      In my experience, every area has their own unique "style" based on what's available to them in their area.  In NYC, there are a LOT of people, so cachers want to keep their search time down in order to prevent muggling.  This typically leads to more detailed hints than what we use here (once again, not a permanent rule, but a general practice that I've noticed).

      One of the problems with hints is that the need is based on the owners perspective of the difficulty of the hide.  If the owner has found 1,000 caches, they're naturally going to think that a hide is incredibly simple when a finder with less than 100 might think it impossible.  I remember when we found our first skirt-lifter.  It probably took us 20 minutes to find it, while we have them found, signed, and replaced, in less than 2 now.  I guess what I'm saying here is don't get frustrated if you're having difficulty when you start out.  Typically if you email the owner, they're happy to give you a hint or two to help you out the next time you make it near the cache.

      ~~Nathaniel
      A.K.A. grn beret 2b

      On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

      Hey all,

      I suppose this is a bit of an odd question.

      I'm a fairly new geocacher, and I've discovered something interesting: I prefer geocaching away from home.  London?  Love it.  NYC?  Perfect.  Wisconsin?  Fair enough.

      Why, you ask?

      It's because of this: Caches in other areas make sense.  Those in my neck of the woods, well, don't.  And I wonder why, or what I'm doing wrong.

      I've noticed two main things when caching in other areas.

      First off, the hints exist, and are useful.  As an example, in my recent NY expedition, one of the hints was "approach the brown tower from stone, first on the left, looking back, take a seat."  However, one of the caches in my area has the ever-helpful, "I'm shocked you need a hint."

      Second off, folks seem to love micros in my area.

      So my question is: Is it just that the people placing caches in my local area are trying to make them as obscure and inaccessible as possible, or is it something about the local caching culture?

      Either way, it's quite frustrating - it makes the barrier to entry shockingly high.

      Thoughts?  Bueller?  Bueller?

      Cheers,

      Elise/PandaChic

    • jestrrrulz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
        Don't forget Austin's Geocaching Hotline!!

        Jeri / JestrRulz

        In a message dated 6/2/2010 11:01:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time, grn.beret.2b@... writes:
        Typically if you email the owner, they're happy to give you a hint or two to help you out the next time you make it near the cache.
      • Jay Bingham
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010

          Elsie,

          First, I don’t think your question is even a bit odd. It can be very frustrating for the new cacher when hints are non-existent and even more frustrating when they are not hints, but are taunts. I feel your pain having been there myself quite recently, with just over 200 finds to my credit I am by no means what I would consider a seasoned cacher (there are a few folks in this area who are listed in the top 125 cache finders in the world (see the list All Geocachers with 200 or more finds) who are members of this list, I counted six that I recognized).

          First off I asked the question about why so many micros. The answer that I got was, it is hard to find places to hide larger caches in an urban setting. But I don’t buy that entirely, because I have seen way too many micro’s hidden where it would be fairly easy to hide a small and in many cases a smaller regular size cache. Here is what I think:

          o Micro containers are easier to hide, so folks choose the path of least resistance

          o Micro containers are generally less expensive to purchase, folks choose the path of least expense

          o Micro containers are harder for muggles (non-cachers) to find accidently, so they generally have a greater chance of remaining active for longer periods of time and require less maintenance (one of the most cleverly hidden regular size caches that I have seen was recently muggled in Round Rock)

          o There are some cache hiders who just enjoy creating a hard to find cache, some of them will warn you in the description that the hide is especially difficult, many will not.

          o The assignment of difficulty and terrain ratings is somewhat arbitrary and is very subjective (even though ClayJar has created a rating system (see Geocache Rating System) not everyone is aware of it and although it attempts to remove the subjectivity from the process it does not remove it entirely), so what a novice might consider a difficult find where a hint would be appreciated, a more experienced cacher might think that no hint was needed. For example the first lamp post cache that I attempted was in Albuquerque, NM, I did not find it on that attempt, when I found a lamp post cache here in the Austin area I thought it was very clever and suddenly I knew what to do to find the cache in Albuquerque, now that I have found several of them I know exactly what to do when my GPSr points to a lamp post and they are not nearly as fun too find.

          When I first started Geocaching I went on a few excursions with my son, who had been doing it for several months. The first attempt that I went with him on, we did not find the cache, it was the traditional cache Mortavika (GC165FD) in Norway which is rated at 1/1.5), it even has a fairly specific hint. The area where we were looking was covered with rocks full of cracks and fissures making it extremely hard to know where to look, we had to call off the search because the ferry that we needed to board was coming; I think that we could find it now that we both have much more experience.

          To address your other question about local caching culture, my son who did much of his initial caching in Norway , says that there is definitely regional and local flavoring in cache hiding and rating culture. Although I have cached in two countries (16 states in the US), when we are on the road I tend to choose easier caches (virtuals and earths) to look for so that I don’t spend too much time caching when I need to be driving, I feel I don’t have enough experience with caches in other areas to say that I have detected such regional flavoring.

          When I first started I harbored a lot of animosity toward micros mainly because I felt they were just too hard to find, I still like them less than the larger sizes but I have discovered that the more of them I have found the less I dislike them. My current distain for them is based mostly on two observations: (1) there are so many of them that it seems like when I need to drop off a travel bug they have like fire ants crowded out the larger caches and (2) they are rated to low (personally I think that nanos (bison tubes and blinkys) should never be rated less than 1.5 and usually at least 2).

          Having said all of that one of the favorite caches that I have found recently was a nano which is hidden in a location that probably could support a larger cache: Mowgli's Nano (GC266QQ) you ought to check it out, but be warned the terrain is, in my opinion, extremely under rated, I think it should be a 3 if not a 3.5

          My advice to you would be to pick the lower rated small and regular size caches to start with. And find a more experienced cacher to tag along with on a few excursions (although I have not done it yet (the seem to be scheduled at times when I have conflicts), I hear that a good way to meet other cachers is at local events (event caches) they usually get talked about in this list as well as being published in the weekly newsletter from Geocaching.com). Half the fun of Geocaching is getting into the mind of the hider and figuring out what they were thinking. Once you have more experience you will find that the ones that are really fun are the ones who don’t hide all their caches in the same way.

          One final thing, if you are really stumped, send a note to the cache owner (CO) (click on the owner name at the top on the cache page to go to the owners profile, then click the send message link) and ask for a hint, most will send you one.

          Sorry for the length of this missive.

          \|/ Jay / BingOGT
          -+- Georgetown , TX USA
          /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

[...]

        • Mrs. Captain Picard
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
            Hi Elise!

            Oh, don't EVEN get me started about micros and hints.  Ask me sometime when you see me at an event about my theory that geocaching IS whatever you first experienced it, so if you first found a nasty micro, then you think ALL geocaches should be nasty micros.

            ANYWAY,....

            I DO think there's alot of regional culture in geocaching (again, find me at an event) but what I wanted to add to this discussion was that caching in cities with tall buildings is completely different than caching elsewhere.  I once cached in downtown San Francisco and gave up because my GPS couldn't even decide which block I needed to be in.  If there hadn't been a VERY detailed hint, I never would have even found the one or two caches I found that day.  So I would say that a good part of the reason hints are so detailed in cities is that they're NECESSARY due to poor satellite reception.  Second, and I often recommend this in high muggle areas, MAKE THE HINT A SPOILER so the seeker can go right to the cache and retrieve it without attracting the attention a silly-looking search would.  One of my pet peeves is when people say "be stealthy" when they've hidden a micro in the huge shrub at the front door of the 24-hour WalMart.  PUH-LEEZ!  Just tell me it's a skirt lifter and I'll get in and out before the security guy can do a u-turn in his golf cart, for heaven's sake!

            Bottom line, don't cache among tall buildings unless there's a really good hint, and good, MEANINGFUL hints are always helpful, but there are people who honestly just want to make you squirm, so choose your caches accordingly.

            Hope to see you at an event soon!

            Cheers,

[...]

          • Carlin

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
                First off, my machine sent the reply before I had a chance to reply

                Hi Elise,

                I have noticed different styles of local culture and I enjoy the changes.  I HATE to cache for difficult finds in high muggle areas, but I LOVE a very creative difficult hide.  When I first started out, I loved the nano's because they were new.  I still love them, but signing and replacing the log makes me frustrated....I would prefer to virtually sign them.   Hints that make me think more abstractly are fun, but I would want a spoiler hint in muggle urban areas.  The evil caches, true to their name, giving any hint would be pointless, since the point is to make you really work for the find.   I have a few fairly easy hides out there, and still I put spoiler hints, since to me, the idea is to have the cache found.  But when I get off my lazy behind and put a creative tricky hide out there, there won't be a spoiler hint!

                Carlin/1Carlin

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Hi, Elise/Panda Chic, and Welcome!

                  Hmmm.... "I'm shocked you need a hint" -- was there anything like a junction box or electrical outlet there?

                  Some folks around here do like to give straightforward hints that essentially give the cache away. Others prefer word games: e.g. "It's starring you in the face" is not a typo. After all, the hunt is as important as the find.

                  Other hiders prefer to remain obscure. Others forget that not everyone looks at a hide and recognizes the obvious spot. [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up -- or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.

                  Every area has its certain caching style as well ... which takes some synchronizing to (the difficulty rating can be your friend).

                  And maybe many of us have come to rely on our phone-a-friend network (events are more than greet & eats) instead of hints.

                  Reading the logs can be helpful. *CAN BE* -- even if they don't say much. If all you get is a string of TFTC, there's probably nothing particularly striking or memorable about the hide -- but it does take time to learn the regionalism.

                  Sorry things are so difficult for you -- it's not that we're trying to be cliquish, we're just in an odd CenTex rhythm. And each hider is unique.

                  Certainly many of us are available to lend help on particularly troublesome caches. Of course, email is so after the fact.
                  But many (like me) tend to only give our cell numbers face-to-face, not over the internet. Thus the importance of attending events. There should be a Summer Solstice event in a couple weeks. Watch for it!

                  And watch for cache expeditions ... folks will post here that they're heading out to x, y, and/or z -- when such an offer is placed here in the forum, it's an invite to everyone.

                  Hang in there -- the strange lingo of the local cache will slowly make itself clear.

                  BarbJ/Tygress

                  Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:54 AM

[...]

                  $653/Month for $150,000 Mortgage!
                  Free Quotes. No SSN or Credit Check.
                  DeltaPrimeRefinance.com
                • The Outlaw
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Hi Elise,
                    First off, welcome! As Nathan has stated, there are a lot of regional differences as you travel across the country. My dad lives in Massachusetts, and up there you have almost no park and grab caches. Those are the ones you find here in abundance in parking lots all around the area. Most caches in the Northeast are either long hikers, multis, or puzzles. I am convinced this is because of the differences in weather in the areas involved. If they had 100 degree days in Massachusetts, they would probably have more easy caches. Puzzles give them something to do when they are snowed in.
                    As for hints, I agree with you that there seems to be a lot more lame hints in this area then other areas. My pet peeve is the hint that says "None needed" or something along those lines. Cache hiders have the option to leave the hint blank if they don't have anything of value to use. Another lame hint is to re-state the container. If the type of container is stated in the main body of the cache page, re-stating it in the hint is pretty useless. Other hints don't make a lick of sense until AFTER you have found the cache!

                    I very rarely look at the hints, preferring instead to read through previous logs for information that may be inadvertantly provided by previous finders. For example, if a log refers to a lot of Poison Ivy or Green briar close to the cache, looking in areas where those plants are thickest may lead you to the cache. Of course if you are surrounded by PI and Greenbriar, this may not be as helpful, but it is fairly rare when you find yourself in that situation.
                    Logs which involve having to reach may yield clues to the height of the cache.
                    Another helpful item is to build a list of Phone a friend contacts. Central Texas cachers are general among the most friendly and helpful you will find anywhere. We also have a TON of events, which are just gatherings of cachers to eat, meet, tell tall caching tales etc. This is a great way to meet other cachers and develop your contact list.

                    Hope this helps.
                    Wayne Lind
                    AKA The Outlaw

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

                    > Hey all,
                    >
                    > I suppose this is a bit of an odd question.
                    >
                    > I'm a fairly new geocacher, and I've discovered something interesting: I prefer geocaching away from home. London? Love it. NYC? Perfect. Wisconsin? Fair enough.
                    >
                    > Why, you ask?
                    >
                    > It's because of this: Caches in other areas make sense. Those in my neck of the woods, well, don't. And I wonder why, or what I'm doing wrong.
                    >
                    > I've noticed two main things when caching in other areas.
                    >
                    > First off, the hints exist, and are useful. As an example, in my recent NY expedition, one of the hints was "approach the brown tower from stone, first on the left, looking back, take a seat." However, one of the caches in my area has the ever-helpful, "I'm shocked you need a hint."
                    >
                    > Second off, folks seem to love micros in my area.
                    >
                    > So my question is: Is it just that the people placing caches in my local area are trying to make them as obscure and inaccessible as possible, or is it something about the local caching culture?
                    >
                    > Either way, it's quite frustrating - it makes the barrier to entry shockingly high.
                    >
                    > Thoughts? Bueller? Bueller?
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Elise/PandaChic

                  • Mike Detlefsen
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                      gumbietygress@... wrote:

                      > [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up --
                      > or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged
                      > gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the
                      > cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.

                      On the other hand, maybe the guy searching for it had updated the area
                      info in his iPod Touch that morning, read the entry when he got there,
                      looked in the place indicated, and still couldn't find it. :-)

                      Mike
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                        =smile=
                        But a lot of folks don't even ATTEMPT that one. They see the damage, dnf without looking, and drive on.
                        Others -- 'sweat gets in your eyes' is a lovely excuse!

                        We, of course, tend to place ornery hides -- we are MEAN cachers, Waterweasel and I. [But they don't get muggled often!]

                        BarbJ -- wasn't talking SPECIFICALLY about you, Mike ;-) -- Tygress

                        > [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up --
                        > or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged
                        > gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the
                        > cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.

                        On the other hand, maybe the guy searching for it had updated the area
                        info in his iPod Touch that morning, read the entry when he got there,
                        looked in the place indicated, and still couldn't find it. :-)

                        Mike

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                          And sometimes that sucker is gone . . . However, I do know it was there last week, because I replaced the log. Since then . . . ?

                          Russ the waterweasel
                          >> [And, my, my, does it get a string of dnfs when you change that up --
                          >> or, in the case of one of the Sunburned Zebras, a muggle rearranged
                          >> gz. It even says on the web page we knew about the damage and the
                          >> cache is relocated to stable 'ground' -- but, no good. Paperless caching.
                          >>
                          >On the other hand, maybe the guy searching for it had updated the area
                          >info in his iPod Touch that morning, read the entry when he got there,
                          >looked in the place indicated, and still couldn't find it. :-)
                          >

                          >Mike

                        • Mike Detlefsen
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                            gumbietygress@... wrote:

                            > BarbJ -- wasn't talking SPECIFICALLY about you, Mike ;-) -- Tygress
                            Oh, sure. Next thing is that you'll be telling me that my paranoia is
                            groundless. Tell that to the black helicopters that follow me around.

                            Just kidding.

                            They aren't black.

                            :-)

                            Mike
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010

                              From: Mike Detlefsen <detmik64@...>
                              To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:41:07 -0500

                              gumbietygress@... wrote:

                              > BarbJ -- wasn't talking SPECIFICALLY about you, Mike ;-) -- Tygress
                              Oh, sure. Next thing is that you'll be telling me that my paranoia is
                              groundless. Tell that to the black helicopters that follow me around.

                              Those a dragonflies, Mike. We grow 'em BIG in Texas.

                              Just kidding.

                              Sure!

                              They aren't black.

                              The green striping is a particular asset.

                              :-)

                              Just because you're paranoid does not mean things are not out to get you....

                              I *know* greenbriar has it in for me. And there is a special enmity that fire ants hold me in.

                              BarbJ/Tygress

                              Project Management
                              100% Online. Project Management certificate from Villanova. Free info.
                              VillanovaProjectManagement.com
                            • Mike Detlefsen
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                                gumbietygress@... wrote:

                                > Those a dragonflies, Mike. We grow 'em BIG in Texas.
                                But the fillings in my teeth pick up their radio messages to each other!

                                Nope. Helicopters.

                                Mike
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 3, 2010
                                  hmmm... might be time to switch to ceramic (or decaf!) =g=
                                  -B/T

                                  > Those a dragonflies, Mike. We grow 'em BIG in Texas.
                                  But the fillings in my teeth pick up their radio messages to each other!

                                  Nope. Helicopters.

                                  Mike

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                     Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:

                                  TODAY: iPads for $23.74?
                                  Special Report: Apple iPads are being auctioned for an incredible 80% off!
                                  QuiBids.com
                                • Dave Marquardt

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 11, 2010
                                      Hey Dave:

                                      Attend an event and collect some phone numbers! : )  Calling local cache owners is a great help!

                                      Jeri / JestrRulz