Time to upgrade the gprs

  • kperry1951
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
      I know this question is going to stir up a hornets nest, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting back into geocaching again and it's time to upgrade from my old Garmin Legend. What does the group suggest? I want more/better functionality and I'm cost sensitive. I want to go paperless and having auto routing to drive to caches is a real plus.

      Here's the choices that I see:

      --Getting a used 60csx - about $200
      --DeLorme PN-40 - about $220
      --Garmin Colorado 400t - about $220 open box from Amazon
      --Garmin Dakota 20 - about $250 after rebate
      --Garmin Oregon 200 - about $200 open box from Amazon

      Am I leaving anything out? Am I being short sighted in these choices? Are all the 'net posts about Garmin WAAS old news? What do you suggest?

      Let the flames begin!
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
        Well, new 60CSx prices should come down quite a bit, as the new models (62CX / CXs?) have been announced and (I believe) are shipping.

        Russ the waterweasel

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
          I was about to say the same thing as Russ -- 60CSx's with an accessory pack were on sale at Cabela's for $220 for Memorial Day, and I think that's just the first of many rollbacks we'll be seeing on 60 and 76 models. It certainly does everything you want it to do but the paperless caching. Do you have a smartphone? That might take care of that issue as well.

          Candy
        • banda_geocacher
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
            The PN-40 supports paperless caching, and includes street and topo maps for navigating, but the street routing algorithms are not as good as Garmin's in my opinion. But, maps are included in the price of the unit. With all of the Garmin units, you will have to spend an additional $100 to get City Navigator maps, if you want to have detailed street routing. The 60csx is a great unit, but does not support paperless caching.

          • bananapoo@stxga.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
              When I eventually stop using my blackberry and get an actual gps, I'm likely to go with a garmin oregon. I plan on mounting it to my bike and the touchscreen makes it ideal for that.

              Even if another brand came out with a touchscreen gps, I'd probably still go garmin. Reason being is the Garmin community is massive, and custom maps are readily available. And if you go Oregon, paperless caching is available.... :)

              Don't forget that signal right now is somewhat important, but shouldn't be an ultimatum on buying a device. Garmin does regular updates, and I would trust their devices to be compatible with the satellite upgrades that are coming soon. Devices have to understand the new satellites in order to get the accuracy improvements, and older devices will need upgrades or their accuracy is going to stay the same.

              Matthew
              Bananapoo

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: "banda_geocacher" <banda@...>
              Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:52:15 -0000
              To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Time to upgrade the gprs

              The PN-40 supports paperless caching, and includes street and topo maps for navigating, but the street routing algorithms are not as good as Garmin's in my opinion. But, maps are included in the price of the unit. With all of the Garmin units, you will have to spend an additional $100 to get City Navigator maps, if you want to have detailed street routing. The 60csx is a great unit, but does not support paperless caching.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "kperry1951" <santacarver@...> wrote:

              > I know this question is going to stir up a hornets nest, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting back into geocaching again and it's time to upgrade from my old Garmin Legend. What does the group suggest? I want more/better functionality and I'm cost sensitive. I want to go paperless and having auto routing to drive to caches is a real plus.
              >
              > Here's the choices that I see:
              >
              > --Getting a used 60csx - about $200
              > --DeLorme PN-40 - about $220
              > --Garmin Colorado 400t - about $220 open box from Amazon
              > --Garmin Dakota 20 - about $250 after rebate
              > --Garmin Oregon 200 - about $200 open box from Amazon
              >
              > Am I leaving anything out? Am I being short sighted in these choices? Are all the 'net posts about Garmin WAAS old news? What do you suggest?
              >
              > Let the flames begin!

            • Maria "theJump"

                From: "banda_geocacher" <banda@...>
                Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:52:15 -0000

                The PN-40 supports paperless caching, and includes street and topo maps for navigating, but the street routing algorithms are not as good as Garmin's in my opinion. But, maps are included in the price of the unit. With all of the Garmin units, you will have to spend an additional $100 to get City Navigator maps, if you want to have detailed street routing. The 60csx is a great unit, but does not support paperless caching.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "kperry1951" <santacarver@...> wrote:

                > I know this question is going to stir up a hornets nest, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting back into geocaching again and it's time to upgrade from my old Garmin Legend. What does the group suggest? I want more/better functionality and I'm cost sensitive. I want to go paperless and having auto routing to drive to caches is a real plus.
                >
                > Here's the choices that I see:
                >
                > --Getting a used 60csx - about $200
                > --DeLorme PN-40 - about $220
                > --Garmin Colorado 400t - about $220 open box from Amazon
                > --Garmin Dakota 20 - about $250 after rebate
                > --Garmin Oregon 200 - about $200 open box from Amazon
                >
                > Am I leaving anything out? Am I being short sighted in these choices? Are all the 'net posts about Garmin WAAS old news? What do you suggest?
                >
                > Let the flames begin!

              • Jay Bingham
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010

                  My son gave me his GPSMap60cs when he purchased a DeLorme, I think it was a PN-40, I had the opportunity to cache with him in Virginia Beach last fall, his unit seemed to work better in the trees than mine did. He seems to like it except for the color.

                  \|/ Jay / BingOGT
                  -+- Georgetown , TX USA
                  /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

                  The PN-40 supports paperless caching, and includes street and topo maps for navigating, but the street routing algorithms are not as good as Garmin's in my opinion. But, maps are included in the price of the unit. With all of the Garmin units, you will have to spend an additional $100 to get City Navigator maps, if you want to have detailed street routing. The 60csx is a great unit, but does not support paperless caching.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "kperry1951" <santacarver@...> wrote:

                  > I know this question is going to stir up a hornets nest, but I'll ask
                  anyway. I'm getting back into geocaching again and it's time to upgrade from my old Garmin Legend. What does the group suggest? I want more/better functionality and I'm cost sensitive. I want to go paperless and having auto routing to drive to caches is a real plus.

                  > Here's the choices that I see:
                  >
                  > --Getting a used 60csx - about $200
                  > --DeLorme PN-40 - about $220
                  > --Garmin Colorado
                  400t - about $220 open box from Amazon
                  > --Garmin Dakota 20 - about $250 after rebate
                  > --Garmin Oregon
                  200 - about $200 open box from Amazon

                  > Am I leaving anything out? Am I being short sighted in these choices? Are
                  all the 'net posts about Garmin WAAS old news? What do you suggest?

                  > Let the flames begin!

                • Nancy Lee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
                    I have a Garmin Colorado and enjoy it.  The only problem is deleting a cache that's stored.  Can't do it out in the field, so you have to wait till you get home.  Otherwise it's neat.
                    Nanblocker(Nancy)

                    The PN-40 supports paperless caching, and includes street and topo maps for navigating, but the street routing algorithms are not as good as Garmin's in my opinion. But, maps are included in the price of the unit. With all of the Garmin units, you will have to spend an additional $100 to get City Navigator maps, if you want to have detailed street routing. The 60csx is a great unit, but does not support paperless caching.

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "kperry1951" <santacarver@ ...> wrote:

                    > I know this question is going to stir up a hornets nest, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting back into geocaching again and it's time to upgrade from my old Garmin Legend. What does the group suggest? I want more/better functionality and I'm cost sensitive. I want to go paperless and having auto routing to drive to caches is a real plus.
                    >
                    > Here's the choices that I see:
                    >
                    > --Getting a used 60csx - about $200
                    > --DeLorme PN-40 - about $220
                    > --Garmin Colorado 400t - about $220 open box from Amazon
                    > --Garmin Dakota 20 - about $250 after rebate
                    > --Garmin Oregon 200 - about $200 open box from Amazon
                    >
                    > Am I leaving anything out? Am I being short sighted in these choices? Are all the 'net posts about Garmin WAAS old news? What do you suggest?
                    >
                    > Let the flames begin!

                  • electric_water_boy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                      You can't delete the caches in the field, but you can mark them as found so they'll go to a different list.