RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Kid Caches??

  • Wayne Lind
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      A whole lot depends on how messy and wet you want them to get :)

      My first suggestion would be kids only (GC755D). It is a 4 part multi that was created with children in mind. Another possiblity would be Bohican falls (GC71B7) which involves crossing Bull Creek. If the weather is warm enough they may enjoy the water. A third possibility may be Koi Cache (GCE80) which would allow them to see Zilker gardens and visit with (but not swim with) the fish in the Koi pond. One other possibility might be YAPIDKA4 (GC79BB) which is in a little park that has some pretty good playground stuff, a sandbox, and two ponds. Every time I have been there I have seen at least one duck in the pond so bring some bread with you and maybe they would like feeding the ducks.

      Good Luck,
      Wayne
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "BeOnTheLookOut
        <gjohnson2009@a...>" <gjohnson2009@a...> wrote:
        > I need help!! I have two nieces, 5 & 6 years old, coming to visit
        > for spring break ... I want to find kid friendly caches for them
        > to hunt.

        Brandy, don't listen to Wayne about Bohican Falls. It's named for a
        fall off the rock face the owner took! :-}

        Here's a list I would consider kid friendly and I've thrown in
        some "too cool" virtuals that they would enjoy and learn from.

        If you think they can do an easy 2 mile hike, "Vaught Ranch Lagoon"
        is just lovely. You cross the creek 10 times before you get to the
        cache location. Waterfalls and pools abound, and the babbling water
        and birdsong is so restful!
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45035>

        "It's Balcones Fault... Two" is an easy walk in a little bitty Travis
        County Park.
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48272>

        "YAWCC" says "grab your mountain bike," but it's an easy walk down an
        easy hill from the pool to the cache, and you don't really have to
        get into the trails that can get you lost.

        Science Lesson Virtual Cache
        You walk up and think you only found a funky building, but look at
        what is inside!!
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=16385>

        YAPIDKA Series #3
        In a South Austin Park -- I bet it's the only one with a small
        cemetary right in the middle of it!
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29979>

        Kids Only
        Begins at a playground in a South Austin Park, so it's better to have
        kids to look for the clues.
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=30045>

        A Wee Bit O' Fun
        This is a fun puzzle cache on a walking trail in South Austin. We did
        it with a 5 year old and her parents and the excercise stations kept
        her busy enough to not get bored. The older ones can help with the
        puzzle.
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14018>

        If you want an entire day with caches and some other diversion, go to
        Longhorn Caverns State Park. There are four caches (3 real and 1
        virtual, 5 if you do the virtual posted on Navicache), and then you
        can tour the cave. If you just do the caches, there is no admission
        fee. A couple of the locations might be pretty wet if there has been
        recent rain, but should dry out pretty quickly afterwards.

        Backbone Ridge Cache
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8638>
        Be observant virtual cache
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8640>
        Longhorn Cache
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18825>
        Longhorn Cave Cache aka Stonehenge
        <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=54880>

        I hope you have a wonderful time!
        Happy Trails,
        Candy
      • Ed Franks
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003

          Also add K’s Birthday wish, a very easy terrain and a good find for kids

          Have fun…

          Aahz

          > I need help!!  I have two nieces, 5 & 6 years old, coming to visit

          > for spring break ... I want to find kid friendly caches for them
          > to hunt.

        • Wayne Lind
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2003
            Can't argue with you, that is a nice cache as well. Candy also had some very good suggestions. I did not know that spring break is next week, so I would agree that Bohican falls is probably not a good choice.
            Also add K’s Birthday wish, a very easy terrain and a good find for kids

            Have fun…

            Aahz

            > I need help!!  I have two nieces, 5 & 6 years old, coming to visit

            for spring break ... I want to find kid friendly caches for them

            > to hunt.

          • Tony Fannin
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2003
              --- Wayne Lind <wlind@...> wrote:
              > Another
              > possiblity would be Bohican falls
              > (GC71B7) which involves crossing Bull Creek. If the
              > weather is warm enough
              > they may enjoy the water.

              I wouldn't do it with kids at this time of year. I did
              cache maintence a few weeks ago and that water is bone
              chilling right now. In the middle of summer though it
              feels great. One you could try is another of ours just
              arund the bend from there, All Tangled Up(GC57D6).
              It's a really nice park with a good sized playground
              for the kiddos to play on after you find the cache.
              Fairly level hike in to it also with a small spring to
              play in.

              Tony
              El Capitan, Team Bohica

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Wayne Lind
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2003
                True. I did not know that spring break was like this week. I was expecting it to be in the spring. Silly me.
                > (GC71B7) which involves crossing Bull Creek. If the
                > weather is warm enough
                > they may enjoy the water.

                I wouldn't do it with kids at this time of year. I did
                cache maintence a few weeks ago and that water is bone
                chilling right now. In the middle of summer though it
                feels great. One you could try is another of ours just
                arund the bend from there, All Tangled Up(GC57D6).
                It's a really nice park with a good sized playground
                for the kiddos to play on after you find the cache.
                Fairly level hike in to it also with a small spring to
                play in.

                Tony
                El Capitan, Team Bohica

              • BeOnTheLookOut
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2003
                  Thanks to you all for the suggestions. They are just what I am
                  looking for. I may go scout Bohican Falls before the girls arrive.
                  Just to be sure. :-) I sure they will love them all though. Thanks
                  again, Brandy