Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Snippy logs

  • jestrrrulz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , May 4, 2010
      Runs to Bananapoo's caches hidden page. Now THAT's something I can log!   LOL

      Jeri/JestrRulz

      In a message dated 5/4/2010 7:45:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bananapoo@... writes:
      "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
    • gtbevo2000
      Message 2 of 28 , May 5, 2010
        The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

        Message 3 of 28 , May 5, 2010

          Yep, that's extreme.

          =sympathy=

          BarbJ/Tygress

          The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it!  What??  Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived!  I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log.  Ergh.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@...> wrote:

          > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!"  He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious...  but it was found a few days later by someone else.
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

          Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
          AwesomePennyStocks.com
          Message 4 of 28 , May 5, 2010

            I did get a "it's too hard! I'm not going to bother!" email on an Earthcache.... but with a little encouragement, the cacher ultimately passed the test and logged it.

            Power of the gentle answer. [But folks don't always get one ... I can be, sadly, a CRANKY Tygress ... and you already know I'm a crank-pot ... not to mention crack pot ... er.... yeah]

            BarbJ/Tygress

            I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...

            "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"

            Hehehe...

            Bananapoo

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
            Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
            To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

            I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@... > wrote:

            > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

            Refi - Low as 3.32% APR
            Homeowners: Refi before rates rise. $300k for $1,306/mo. No SSN req'd
            QuickMatch.LendingTree.com
          • wanda texas
            Message 5 of 28 , May 5, 2010
              yes matt...

              its not snippy log buuuutttt.....

              someone recently did a DNF on PAWN.....and it was along the lines """i refuse to find a cache on private property""""......

              which is actually on PUBLIC CITY PROPERTY...the only thing remotely considered ''private'' property is the parking lot you park in and start the walk...

              and thats a wwhoooolllllle lot of caches....i.e. lamposts, "park here and walk to..."" etc...

              so i guess the walk was too much for the cacher..hehehehhehe

              wanda texas

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, bananapoo@... wrote:

              > I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...
              >
              > "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
              >
              > Hehehe...
              >
              > Bananapoo
              > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                I haven't hidden any caches yet (I have some planned, though) and I can see how that would be really annoying. Seems like the height of egotism to me to suggest that a cache be archived just because you can't find it. The only situation that I can think of where it might be justified to use the 'needs archiving' is that there are multiple DNF's all reporting that the remnants of the cache are strewn around the area and the owner has not responded. Otherwise just post a note asking for verification if there are multiple DNFs or if it looks like the area might have been disturbed by construction. Otherwise just admit that the owner was more clever than you think you are and you could not find it.

                Jay / BingOGT

                To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                From: gtbevo2000@...
                Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                Message 7 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                  Even then, the 'Needs Archiving' is the nuclear option.

                  My suggestion:
                  • Multiple DNFs first
                  • Note(s) to the owner
                  • Needs Maintenance log
                  • Needs Archiving
                  I've only used it once or twice.  The one I remember clearly was a cache that had been muggled and not replaced, disabled, or archived for over a year.

                  Best,

                  Russ the waterweasel

                  To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                  From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                  Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                    OK, that's weird.  I posted this May 6th . . . why am I receiving it now?

                    Russ the waterweasel

                    To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                    From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                    Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                    The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                    > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                    >
                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                  • Kay Barfield
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                      The computer is hiccupping....?????

                      KAY/ AXX

                      Parked dianglelly in parrallel universes.

                      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: waterweasel@...
                      Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:33:18 -0500

                      To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                      From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                      Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                      The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                      > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                    • Rich and Di Michelson
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                        I just got this today, too, Russ.  I've been seeing this kind of strange behavior all day with Yahoo groups - receiving messages late.

                        --Di
                        dirich92

                        To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                        From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com