Re: Semik on Podcacher

  • arnaud.geo
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2010
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

      > Anyone besides me (and I assume Big Guy In Texas) hear Semik on the latest Podcacher Podcast where she was interviewed while attending a "Mega-r" Event "Down Under?"

      Actually, on the previous podcacher, Mrs Captain Picard had a very nice exposure. She was dubbed as the queen of events! Which is well deserved!! One of the interviewee went on and on about the creativity of her events!

      No wonder she won best event two years in a row!! http://tinyurl.com/CTGCA Don't forget to nominate your favorite caches this year!
    • Deafdillos
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2010
        Anyone care to type up a transcript of Semik's interview? So we could enjoy to read her Down Under adventure.

        -Richard and Natalie
        Deafdillos

        On 5/4/2010 8:19 PM, arnaud.geo wrote:

        --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "electric_water_ boy" <electric_water_ boy@...> wrote:

        > Anyone besides me (and I assume Big Guy In Texas) hear Semik on the latest Podcacher Podcast where she was interviewed while attending a "Mega-r" Event "Down Under?"

        Actually, on the previous podcacher, Mrs Captain Picard had a very nice exposure. She was dubbed as the queen of events! Which is well deserved!! One of the interviewee went on and on about the creativity of her events!

        No wonder she won best event two years in a row!! http://tinyurl. com/CTGCA Don't forget to nominate your favorite caches this year!

      • penguin5374
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2010
          Darren: Well it's coming to the end of a very long weekend at the mega event and I've bumped into someone who's traveled all the way across the Pacific Ocean. Who are you and where are you from?

          Audra: It's Semik. My real name is Audra Allen. I'm from Austin, Texas. Central Texas.

          Now, this is your first mega event, isn't it?

          Yes, my very first mega event. I haven't been able to attend any back in the states and when I saw this one post, I thought, oh, I'm going to go to that event. It's gonna to be hard to top.

          You've been here a couple of days, how have you found both the mega event and Wagga Wagga?

          It's absolutely beautiful here. The caches that I've done in the area have taken me to places that I would not have gone without geocaching. Of course the people have been awesome.

          We spoke yesterday about the similarities between Australia and Texas. Tell us a little about both the climate and the people and the geocaching.

          I've actually felt right at home here in Australia. The lighting has been the same. The big blue sky. The big, starry skies at night. If it weren't for the different kinds of plants, the different kinds of animals and the accents, I'd really would feel like I'm still in Texas.

          Wagga Wagga isn't the only place that you've been. You've been here for about a week or two, is that right?

          Since March 25th.

          Okay, so you traveled up north. Where did you go on your drive out...and I must say, well done for driving on the left-hand side of the road. It's no easy feat, is it?

          I was terrified. I rented my first car in Brisbane, in the middle of the city and I had to get to the south side to get to the Koala sanctuary. I was absolutely scared that I was going to turn down a street and be on the wrong side and cause a wreck or something. But I made it okay. I atually had an in-car navigation system to help me get around. Even with that, I still made some wrong turns. But I managed to get myself turned around. I actually drove up to 1770 and visited the southernmost point of the great barrier reef, Lady Musgrave Island, and got to do some snorkeling and I hiked on the island there. It was just absolutely beautiful. It was only a 24-hour trip and I'm so sad that I didn't get to spend more time there.

          Earlier today you actually headed up into the Snowy Mountains?

          Yes, I went to Corryong, I wanted to visit the Man From Snowy River multicache. I actually had pegged that cache three years ago when I was planning my trip to Australia before the mega event was announced, I was already planning a trip. I contacted the owner and asked him if the cache was going to be alive an well by the time I could come and asked him to please keep it active so that I could find it. Because Man From Snowy River is actually my first knowledge of Australia, my first introduction to the continent and the culture that is out here in this region, so I had to go and do that cache today. I actually rented a car just so I could drive the 2 and a half hours over to Corryong, find that cache and come back. But the Snowy River Mountains....You guys downplay your mountains because of New Zealand, but those are some beautiful mountains. They're all green right now and they're just absolutely gorgeous.

          Certainly I've hiked up there a few times and it is beautiful country this is a fantastic time of the year because the snow hasn't set in yet, and so anyone, even locals should be headed up there. Now you're heading down to Melbourne next. What are you looking forward to down there?

          I'm gonna do some bike touring down there. I've actually gotten some tips from some of the geocachers here at the mega event to go to some places and maybe catch some Koalas in the wild.

          There's been a lot of discussion about when the next mega event will be occurring in Australia and where it will occur. What advice do you give to any locals back in Texas or in the U.S. that if they hear of the next Australian mega event. What advice would you give to them if they're thinking of coming to one?

          Oh, come without a shadow of a doubt. It is so worth the trip. And of course you get the mega icon at the same time. And don't come just for the event. Come for the weeks around it. Plan it, make it a big vacation. Because there is so much to see here, you won't do it justice by just coming to an event. You won't be able to see it all. You'll be aching for more.

          Thanks very much for coming along, for coming to Australia and coming to the mega event and safe trip back to Texas.

          It was good to meet you.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2010
            Thanks for posting this!

            Russ the waterweasel

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2010
              Many thanks, BoP! We enjoyed reading it!

              -=Richard=-

            • shawnolsen@aol.com