Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Snippy logs

    Message 1 of 28 , May 3 5:43 PM

      That's some bird!

      The cats? It's all... just SIT and we'll PURR at you!!!

      BarbJ/Tygress

      Message 2 of 28 , May 4 5:41 PM
        I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

      • bananapoo@stxga.com
        Message 3 of 28 , May 4 5:45 PM
          I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...

          "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"

          Hehehe...

          Bananapoo

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
          Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
          To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

        • jestrrrulz@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , May 4 6:26 PM
            Runs to Bananapoo's caches hidden page. Now THAT's something I can log!   LOL

            Jeri/JestrRulz

            In a message dated 5/4/2010 7:45:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bananapoo@... writes:
            "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
          • gtbevo2000
            Message 5 of 28 , May 5 4:10 AM
              The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

              Message 6 of 28 , May 5 5:10 AM

                Yep, that's extreme.

                =sympathy=

                BarbJ/Tygress

                Message 7 of 28 , May 5 5:42 AM

                  I did get a "it's too hard! I'm not going to bother!" email on an Earthcache.... but with a little encouragement, the cacher ultimately passed the test and logged it.

                  Power of the gentle answer. [But folks don't always get one ... I can be, sadly, a CRANKY Tygress ... and you already know I'm a crank-pot ... not to mention crack pot ... er.... yeah]

                  BarbJ/Tygress

                  From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
                  Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
                  To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                  I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@... > wrote:

                  > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                  Refi - Low as 3.32% APR
                  Homeowners: Refi before rates rise. $300k for $1,306/mo. No SSN req'd
                  QuickMatch.LendingTree.com
                • wanda texas
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 5 8:01 AM
                    yes matt...

                    its not snippy log buuuutttt.....

                    someone recently did a DNF on PAWN.....and it was along the lines """i refuse to find a cache on private property""""......

                    which is actually on PUBLIC CITY PROPERTY...the only thing remotely considered ''private'' property is the parking lot you park in and start the walk...

                    and thats a wwhoooolllllle lot of caches....i.e. lamposts, "park here and walk to..."" etc...

                    so i guess the walk was too much for the cacher..hehehehhehe

                    wanda texas

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, bananapoo@... wrote:

                    > I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...
                    >
                    > "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
                    >
                    > Hehehe...
                    >
                    > Bananapoo
                    > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  • Jay Bingham
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 6 8:56 AM
                      I haven't hidden any caches yet (I have some planned, though) and I can see how that would be really annoying. Seems like the height of egotism to me to suggest that a cache be archived just because you can't find it. The only situation that I can think of where it might be justified to use the 'needs archiving' is that there are multiple DNF's all reporting that the remnants of the cache are strewn around the area and the owner has not responded. Otherwise just post a note asking for verification if there are multiple DNFs or if it looks like the area might have been disturbed by construction. Otherwise just admit that the owner was more clever than you think you are and you could not find it.

                      Jay / BingOGT

                      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: gtbevo2000@...
                      Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                      Message 10 of 28 , May 6 12:17 PM
                        Even then, the 'Needs Archiving' is the nuclear option.

                        My suggestion:
                        • Multiple DNFs first
                        • Note(s) to the owner
                        • Needs Maintenance log
                        • Needs Archiving
                        I've only used it once or twice.  The one I remember clearly was a cache that had been muggled and not replaced, disabled, or archived for over a year.

                        Best,

                        Russ the waterweasel

                        To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                        From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                        Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 14 11:33 AM
                          OK, that's weird.  I posted this May 6th . . . why am I receiving it now?

                          Russ the waterweasel

                          To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                          From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                          Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                          The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                          > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                          >
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                        • Kay Barfield
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 14 11:35 AM
                            The computer is hiccupping....?????

                            KAY/ AXX

                            Parked dianglelly in parrallel universes.

                            To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: waterweasel@...
                            Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:33:18 -0500

                            To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                            From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                            Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                            The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                            > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                            >
                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                          • Rich and Di Michelson
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 14 11:43 AM
                              I just got this today, too, Russ.  I've been seeing this kind of strange behavior all day with Yahoo groups - receiving messages late.

                              --Di
                              dirich92

                              To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                              From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com