Re: Snippy logs

  • axxiues
    Message 1 of 28 , May 3, 2010
      I have went through this same situation last week with a snippy log. I really really wanted to "S L A P" the ^&^%%#^* out of someone. I was slamming pots around in the kitchen and cooking enough food for an army.

      Darbie got climbs out her tree and came into the kitchens. She climbed to my shoulder and screams in my ear,"Big Deal!". I stop what I was doing and looked at her. I thought about it. She was right. It is only a game not a way of life. I can understand geocaching is very addicting. You have to take the good with the bad. Some caches are easy to get to and others are hard to get to. (((Shrugs))) I cant believe a small bird can give the greatest advice.

      Life goes on.

      Axx/K

      Message 2 of 28 , May 3, 2010

        So you post a follow up note: Nope! There safe and sound!!!!

        Though through sheer good fortune I saved one of mine from being muggled this morning. Perfect timing to show Jessie where the infamous Palace of the Thespians lurks. Dan, who has been taking on the landscaping there, had only just noticed it and was NEARLY going to throw it away! He's now been educated, too! Talk about perfect timing! I guess that's making up for whoever nicked Vivi's Xcellent P&G -- the whole damned GZ!!!! LOL. What a day.

        BarbJ/Tygress

        Message 3 of 28 , May 3, 2010

          That's some bird!

          The cats? It's all... just SIT and we'll PURR at you!!!

          BarbJ/Tygress

          I have went through this same situation last week with a snippy log. I really really wanted to "S L A P" the ^&^%%#^* out of someone. I was slamming pots around in the kitchen and cooking enough food for an army.

          Darbie got climbs out her tree and came into the kitchens. She climbed to my shoulder and screams in my ear,"Big Deal!". I stop what I was doing and looked at her. I thought about it. She was right. It is only a game not a way of life. I can understand geocaching is very addicting. You have to take the good with the bad. Some caches are easy to get to and others are hard to get to. (((Shrugs))) I cant believe a small bird can give the greatest advice.

          Life goes on.

          Axx/K

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

          > I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.
          >
          > Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...
          >
          > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

          Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
          AwesomePennyStocks.com
        • Malia B
          Message 4 of 28 , May 4, 2010
            I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

          • bananapoo@stxga.com
            Message 5 of 28 , May 4, 2010
              I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...

              "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"

              Hehehe...

              Bananapoo

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
              Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
              To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

            • jestrrrulz@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , May 4, 2010
                Runs to Bananapoo's caches hidden page. Now THAT's something I can log!   LOL

                Jeri/JestrRulz

                In a message dated 5/4/2010 7:45:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bananapoo@... writes:
                "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
              • gtbevo2000
                Message 7 of 28 , May 5, 2010
                  The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 5, 2010

                    Yep, that's extreme.

                    =sympathy=

                    BarbJ/Tygress

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 5, 2010

                      I did get a "it's too hard! I'm not going to bother!" email on an Earthcache.... but with a little encouragement, the cacher ultimately passed the test and logged it.

                      Power of the gentle answer. [But folks don't always get one ... I can be, sadly, a CRANKY Tygress ... and you already know I'm a crank-pot ... not to mention crack pot ... er.... yeah]

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                      From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
                      Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
                      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                      I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@... > wrote:

                      > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                      Refi - Low as 3.32% APR
                      Homeowners: Refi before rates rise. $300k for $1,306/mo. No SSN req'd
                      QuickMatch.LendingTree.com
                    • wanda texas
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 5, 2010
                        yes matt...

                        its not snippy log buuuutttt.....

                        someone recently did a DNF on PAWN.....and it was along the lines """i refuse to find a cache on private property""""......

                        which is actually on PUBLIC CITY PROPERTY...the only thing remotely considered ''private'' property is the parking lot you park in and start the walk...

                        and thats a wwhoooolllllle lot of caches....i.e. lamposts, "park here and walk to..."" etc...

                        so i guess the walk was too much for the cacher..hehehehhehe

                        wanda texas

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, bananapoo@... wrote:

                        > I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...
                        >
                        > "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
                        >
                        > Hehehe...
                        >
                        > Bananapoo
                        > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      • Jay Bingham
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                          I haven't hidden any caches yet (I have some planned, though) and I can see how that would be really annoying. Seems like the height of egotism to me to suggest that a cache be archived just because you can't find it. The only situation that I can think of where it might be justified to use the 'needs archiving' is that there are multiple DNF's all reporting that the remnants of the cache are strewn around the area and the owner has not responded. Otherwise just post a note asking for verification if there are multiple DNFs or if it looks like the area might have been disturbed by construction. Otherwise just admit that the owner was more clever than you think you are and you could not find it.

                          Jay / BingOGT

                          To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                          From: gtbevo2000@...
                          Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                          Message 12 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                            Even then, the 'Needs Archiving' is the nuclear option.

                            My suggestion:
                            • Multiple DNFs first
                            • Note(s) to the owner
                            • Needs Maintenance log
                            • Needs Archiving
                            I've only used it once or twice.  The one I remember clearly was a cache that had been muggled and not replaced, disabled, or archived for over a year.

                            Best,

                            Russ the waterweasel

                            To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                            From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                            Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                            Message 13 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                              OK, that's weird.  I posted this May 6th . . . why am I receiving it now?

                              Russ the waterweasel

                              To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                              From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                              Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                              The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                              > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                              >
                              > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                            • Kay Barfield
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                The computer is hiccupping....?????

                                KAY/ AXX

                                Parked dianglelly in parrallel universes.

                                To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                From: waterweasel@...
                                Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:33:18 -0500

                                To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                                Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                                > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                                >
                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                              • Rich and Di Michelson
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                  I just got this today, too, Russ.  I've been seeing this kind of strange behavior all day with Yahoo groups - receiving messages late.

                                  --Di
                                  dirich92

                                  To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                  From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com