Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Snippy logs

    Message 1 of 28 , May 3, 2010
      I'm sure that you're going to get lots of replies but 'PI' is poison ivy -- one of the banes of geocaching in central Texas.

      Russ the waterweasel

      Message 2 of 28 , May 3, 2010

        That is stunning, or maybe I should say dumbfounding, that someone would bother to do something they hate doing then complain about it. Well, like my mother used to say, “It takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round.”

        \|/ Jay / BingOGT
        -+- Georgetown , TX USA
        /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

        On 5/3/2010 8:28 AM, softscienceofficer wrote:

        oh yeah, I got one the other day on one of my virtuals.  It said something to the effect of.........I hate virtuals.
        ???????????
        Then why did you do it??????????
        DOH!

        I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.

        Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...

        Ed/SoftScienceOffic er

      • Doc
        Message 3 of 28 , May 3, 2010
          PI = Private Investigator
          (see Magnum, PI)

          ;-)
          Barry
          aka Doc Geo

          Message 4 of 28 , May 3, 2010
            I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie.

            I'd opt for letting it slide.  Not all newcomers to the sport are up to speed on geocacher decorum.  I've never had just one log entry that's stuck out in my mind as making me upset.  Although, I have known of a few cachers who are habitually short and snippy.  I won't mention any names.  None of them are here....thank goodness.

            Here's something else to consider: We've all been there.  We just DNF'd a cache or at the very least, strongly disagreed with the placement of a cache.  And it's gotten us a little hot under the collar.  But, by the time we made it back home to enter the log, our emotions have waned and we could better temper our log entry.  But with the advent of smart phones that can log caches from the "scene of the crime" people have the opportunity to hurl their slings and arrows while still in an agitated state.  Not saying this was the case in this instance...justa thought.

            Mark
            (BoP)

          • Lisa Campbell
            Message 5 of 28 , May 3, 2010
              PI = personal injury, which can certainly
              happen to any cacher. ;)

              Lisa ~ BackroadsGal

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

              • axxiues
                Message 7 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                  I have went through this same situation last week with a snippy log. I really really wanted to "S L A P" the ^&^%%#^* out of someone. I was slamming pots around in the kitchen and cooking enough food for an army.

                  Darbie got climbs out her tree and came into the kitchens. She climbed to my shoulder and screams in my ear,"Big Deal!". I stop what I was doing and looked at her. I thought about it. She was right. It is only a game not a way of life. I can understand geocaching is very addicting. You have to take the good with the bad. Some caches are easy to get to and others are hard to get to. (((Shrugs))) I cant believe a small bird can give the greatest advice.

                  Life goes on.

                  Axx/K

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 3, 2010

                    So you post a follow up note: Nope! There safe and sound!!!!

                    Though through sheer good fortune I saved one of mine from being muggled this morning. Perfect timing to show Jessie where the infamous Palace of the Thespians lurks. Dan, who has been taking on the landscaping there, had only just noticed it and was NEARLY going to throw it away! He's now been educated, too! Talk about perfect timing! I guess that's making up for whoever nicked Vivi's Xcellent P&G -- the whole damned GZ!!!! LOL. What a day.

                    BarbJ/Tygress

                    I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                    Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                    AwesomePennyStocks.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 3, 2010

                      That's some bird!

                      The cats? It's all... just SIT and we'll PURR at you!!!

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                      I have went through this same situation last week with a snippy log. I really really wanted to "S L A P" the ^&^%%#^* out of someone. I was slamming pots around in the kitchen and cooking enough food for an army.

                      Darbie got climbs out her tree and came into the kitchens. She climbed to my shoulder and screams in my ear,"Big Deal!". I stop what I was doing and looked at her. I thought about it. She was right. It is only a game not a way of life. I can understand geocaching is very addicting. You have to take the good with the bad. Some caches are easy to get to and others are hard to get to. (((Shrugs))) I cant believe a small bird can give the greatest advice.

                      Life goes on.

                      Axx/K

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

                      > I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.
                      >
                      > Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...
                      >
                      > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:

                      Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                      AwesomePennyStocks.com
                    • Malia B
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 4, 2010
                        I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

                      • bananapoo@stxga.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 4, 2010
                          I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...

                          "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"

                          Hehehe...

                          Bananapoo

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
                          Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
                          To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                        • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 4, 2010
                            Runs to Bananapoo's caches hidden page. Now THAT's something I can log!   LOL

                            Jeri/JestrRulz

                            In a message dated 5/4/2010 7:45:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bananapoo@... writes:
                            "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
                          • gtbevo2000
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 5, 2010
                              The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                              Message 14 of 28 , May 5, 2010

                                Yep, that's extreme.

                                =sympathy=

                                BarbJ/Tygress

                                Message 15 of 28 , May 5, 2010

                                  I did get a "it's too hard! I'm not going to bother!" email on an Earthcache.... but with a little encouragement, the cacher ultimately passed the test and logged it.

                                  Power of the gentle answer. [But folks don't always get one ... I can be, sadly, a CRANKY Tygress ... and you already know I'm a crank-pot ... not to mention crack pot ... er.... yeah]

                                  BarbJ/Tygress

                                  From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
                                  Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
                                  To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                                  I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@... > wrote:

                                  > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                                  Refi - Low as 3.32% APR
                                  Homeowners: Refi before rates rise. $300k for $1,306/mo. No SSN req'd
                                  QuickMatch.LendingTree.com
                                • wanda texas
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 5, 2010
                                    yes matt...

                                    its not snippy log buuuutttt.....

                                    someone recently did a DNF on PAWN.....and it was along the lines """i refuse to find a cache on private property""""......

                                    which is actually on PUBLIC CITY PROPERTY...the only thing remotely considered ''private'' property is the parking lot you park in and start the walk...

                                    and thats a wwhoooolllllle lot of caches....i.e. lamposts, "park here and walk to..."" etc...

                                    so i guess the walk was too much for the cacher..hehehehhehe

                                    wanda texas

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, bananapoo@... wrote:

                                    > I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...
                                    >
                                    > "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
                                    >
                                    > Hehehe...
                                    >
                                    > Bananapoo
                                    > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                  • Jay Bingham
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                                      I haven't hidden any caches yet (I have some planned, though) and I can see how that would be really annoying. Seems like the height of egotism to me to suggest that a cache be archived just because you can't find it. The only situation that I can think of where it might be justified to use the 'needs archiving' is that there are multiple DNF's all reporting that the remnants of the cache are strewn around the area and the owner has not responded. Otherwise just post a note asking for verification if there are multiple DNFs or if it looks like the area might have been disturbed by construction. Otherwise just admit that the owner was more clever than you think you are and you could not find it.

                                      Jay / BingOGT

                                      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: gtbevo2000@...
                                      Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                                        Even then, the 'Needs Archiving' is the nuclear option.

                                        My suggestion:
                                        • Multiple DNFs first
                                        • Note(s) to the owner
                                        • Needs Maintenance log
                                        • Needs Archiving
                                        I've only used it once or twice.  The one I remember clearly was a cache that had been muggled and not replaced, disabled, or archived for over a year.

                                        Best,

                                        Russ the waterweasel

                                        To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                        From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                                        Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                          OK, that's weird.  I posted this May 6th . . . why am I receiving it now?

                                          Russ the waterweasel

                                          To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                          From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                                          Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                          The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                                          --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                                          > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                                          >
                                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                                        • Kay Barfield
                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                            The computer is hiccupping....?????

                                            KAY/ AXX

                                            Parked dianglelly in parrallel universes.

                                            To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: waterweasel@...
                                            Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:33:18 -0500

                                            To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                            From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                                            Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                            The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                                            --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                                            > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                                            >
                                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                                          • Rich and Di Michelson
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                              I just got this today, too, Russ.  I've been seeing this kind of strange behavior all day with Yahoo groups - receiving messages late.

                                              --Di
                                              dirich92

                                              To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                              From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com