Snippy logs

  • softscienceofficer
    Message 1 of 28 , May 3, 2010
      I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.

      Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...

      Ed/SoftScienceOfficer
      Message 2 of 28 , May 3, 2010

        Well, PI is a Texas problem... people need to live with it. Or around it. Or not cache in the summer. I've got at least one (Hairy, Man! -- you've been warned) that PIs up in the summer. I'm sorry. That's how it is. I do believe I set that attribute. There's one cache in Round Rock that we first tried in summer -- and the PI was, like, 6-foot high and solid around GZ. Nope. That's a DNA (did not attempt). We went back in mid-winter.

        Snippy logs are mostly about THE LOGGER not about YOU. I happen to get pretty snarly about caches placed in landscaping in front of churches or businesses. The gardener may know about it, but what about the congregation? I feel like a trespasser, even a vandal, rifling through their shrubbery. So sometimes that bad vibe bleeds into the log. Part of the experience, I suppose. If other people don't have a problem, I am dismissable as 'experimental error' or 'fringe element.' Or just having a BAD day.

        Remember, DNFs are a bummer. DNFs at sites that creep you out are a worse bummer. Sometimes we all get snippy. [I've got a few pissy logs IN RHYME ... but usually for caches where there have been a string of DNFs (or, in one case, a log in December saying the cache was muggled and removed by the logger and the cache STILL hasn't been at least disabled).] And sometimes, things just read snippy, though they were never typed that way (though a 'never go back' is a bit rough ...). If you must respond ... don't lecture. Just say: I'm sorry you had a tough time with this one. Can I lend you a hint?

        Over half the time you won't get a response. But sometimes you make a friend.

        And, yeah, my Knucklehead has gotten at least one snarly "What's the point?" And for some, well, a smiley ain't worth it. For others, it's all about that kind of discovery. You have to treasure the latter, and let the former go, like water off a duck's back.

        We've got all kinds in the sport, so treasure the NICE folks. And realize the not so nice folks -- well, they have to live with themselves, don't they? Worse thing I could wish on 'em. heh heh heh.

        You MIGHT go check, and if there's a lot of PI, put up the attribute and a warning on your cache page with an apology -- aka WARNING! Lots of PI! Wasn't there when I placed it. Winter will come again. Meanwhile, Caveat Cacher!

        Gentle thoughts,

        BarbJ/Tygress

        I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.

        Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...

        Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
        AwesomePennyStocks.com
      • shawnolsen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , May 3, 2010

          I left one that could have been seen as snippy once when the coords were WAY off (300ft+).

          No doubt keeping up with caches is hard, and mother natures creatures have a way of moving them around in unintended ways much like Toyotas :)

          Cheers,

          Shawn/s6sputnik

          Message 4 of 28 , May 3, 2010
            Oh, yeah.  In general, it is best (if not easiest) to ignore them . . .

            Russ the waterweasel

            I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.

            Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...

            Ed/SoftScienceOffic er

          • Mrs. Captain Picard
            Message 5 of 28 , May 3, 2010
              Just assume the poster's girdle was too tight that day and let it go!

              Cheers,

              On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:28 AM, softscienceofficer <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

              I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.

              Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...

              Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

            • Jana Iannello
              Message 6 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                On 5/3/2010 8:28 AM, softscienceofficer wrote:

                oh yeah, I got one the other day on one of my virtuals.  It said something to the effect of.........I hate virtuals.
                ???????????
                Then why did you do it??????????
                DOH!

                I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.

                Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...

                Ed/SoftScienceOffic er

              • Victor Engel

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                    I'm sure that you're going to get lots of replies but 'PI' is poison ivy -- one of the banes of geocaching in central Texas.

                    Russ the waterweasel

                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/CentralTex asGeocachers/ join
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       CentralTexasGeocach ers-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                       CentralTexasGeocach ers-fullfeatured @yahoogroups. com

                       http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                  • Jay Bingham
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 3, 2010

                      That is stunning, or maybe I should say dumbfounding, that someone would bother to do something they hate doing then complain about it. Well, like my mother used to say, “It takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round.”

                      \|/ Jay / BingOGT
                      -+- Georgetown , TX USA
                      /|\ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

                      Message 10 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                        PI = Private Investigator
                        (see Magnum, PI)

                        ;-)
                        Barry
                        aka Doc Geo

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                          I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie.

                          I'd opt for letting it slide.  Not all newcomers to the sport are up to speed on geocacher decorum.  I've never had just one log entry that's stuck out in my mind as making me upset.  Although, I have known of a few cachers who are habitually short and snippy.  I won't mention any names.  None of them are here....thank goodness.

                          Here's something else to consider: We've all been there.  We just DNF'd a cache or at the very least, strongly disagreed with the placement of a cache.  And it's gotten us a little hot under the collar.  But, by the time we made it back home to enter the log, our emotions have waned and we could better temper our log entry.  But with the advent of smart phones that can log caches from the "scene of the crime" people have the opportunity to hurl their slings and arrows while still in an agitated state.  Not saying this was the case in this instance...justa thought.

                          Mark
                          (BoP)

                        • Lisa Campbell
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                            PI = personal injury, which can certainly
                            happen to any cacher. ;)

                            Lisa ~ BackroadsGal

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            Message 13 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                              I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                            • axxiues
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 3, 2010
                                I have went through this same situation last week with a snippy log. I really really wanted to "S L A P" the ^&^%%#^* out of someone. I was slamming pots around in the kitchen and cooking enough food for an army.

                                Darbie got climbs out her tree and came into the kitchens. She climbed to my shoulder and screams in my ear,"Big Deal!". I stop what I was doing and looked at her. I thought about it. She was right. It is only a game not a way of life. I can understand geocaching is very addicting. You have to take the good with the bad. Some caches are easy to get to and others are hard to get to. (((Shrugs))) I cant believe a small bird can give the greatest advice.

                                Life goes on.

                                Axx/K

                                Message 15 of 28 , May 3, 2010

                                  So you post a follow up note: Nope! There safe and sound!!!!

                                  Though through sheer good fortune I saved one of mine from being muggled this morning. Perfect timing to show Jessie where the infamous Palace of the Thespians lurks. Dan, who has been taking on the landscaping there, had only just noticed it and was NEARLY going to throw it away! He's now been educated, too! Talk about perfect timing! I guess that's making up for whoever nicked Vivi's Xcellent P&G -- the whole damned GZ!!!! LOL. What a day.

                                  BarbJ/Tygress

                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 3, 2010

                                    That's some bird!

                                    The cats? It's all... just SIT and we'll PURR at you!!!

                                    BarbJ/Tygress

                                    I have went through this same situation last week with a snippy log. I really really wanted to "S L A P" the ^&^%%#^* out of someone. I was slamming pots around in the kitchen and cooking enough food for an army.

                                    Darbie got climbs out her tree and came into the kitchens. She climbed to my shoulder and screams in my ear,"Big Deal!". I stop what I was doing and looked at her. I thought about it. She was right. It is only a game not a way of life. I can understand geocaching is very addicting. You have to take the good with the bad. Some caches are easy to get to and others are hard to get to. (((Shrugs))) I cant believe a small bird can give the greatest advice.

                                    Life goes on.

                                    Axx/K

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

                                    > I received a DNF log this morning that I thought was a bit snippy ("I'll never go back to this one" or something like that). Not from anyone here--I think the person's a newbie. I wrote what I thought was a polite but firm response about how people get to know you through the messages you leave, caches occasionally go missing, blah, blah, blah--very carefully crafted. I hit send and...internal server error 404. Apparently I took too long composing the message that it timed me out, and I lost the whole thing. Guess it's the cyber world's way of telling me to chill out.
                                    >
                                    > Anyone else ever get a log that made you want to slap someone? I suppose I could do more regular check-ups, but if I don't hear any word that's something's wrong, I only occasionally go back. And there was no PI when I put it there...
                                    >
                                    > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                       Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:

                                    Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
                                    AwesomePennyStocks.com
                                  • Malia B
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 4, 2010
                                      I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

                                    • bananapoo@stxga.com
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 4, 2010
                                        I wonder if anyone logs DNFs for caches they haven't even search for...

                                        "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"

                                        Hehehe...

                                        Bananapoo

                                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                        From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
                                        Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
                                        To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                                      • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 4, 2010
                                          Runs to Bananapoo's caches hidden page. Now THAT's something I can log!   LOL

                                          Jeri/JestrRulz

                                          In a message dated 5/4/2010 7:45:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bananapoo@... writes:
                                          "I want to find your cache, but I decided that it just isn't the cache for me. Hide a better one and I might just go for it!"
                                        • gtbevo2000
                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 5, 2010
                                            The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 5, 2010

                                              Yep, that's extreme.

                                              =sympathy=

                                              BarbJ/Tygress

                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 5, 2010

                                                I did get a "it's too hard! I'm not going to bother!" email on an Earthcache.... but with a little encouragement, the cacher ultimately passed the test and logged it.

                                                Power of the gentle answer. [But folks don't always get one ... I can be, sadly, a CRANKY Tygress ... and you already know I'm a crank-pot ... not to mention crack pot ... er.... yeah]

                                                BarbJ/Tygress

                                                From: "Malia B" <maliabarth@...>
                                                Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 00:41:29 -0000
                                                To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                                                I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.

                                                --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@... > wrote:

                                                > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                                                Refi - Low as 3.32% APR
                                                Homeowners: Refi before rates rise. $300k for $1,306/mo. No SSN req'd
                                                QuickMatch.LendingTree.com
                                              • wanda texas
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 5, 2010
                                                  yes matt...

                                                  its not snippy log buuuutttt.....

                                                  someone recently did a DNF on PAWN.....and it was along the lines """i refuse to find a cache on private property""""......

                                                  which is actually on PUBLIC CITY PROPERTY...the only thing remotely considered ''private'' property is the parking lot you park in and start the walk...

                                                  and thats a wwhoooolllllle lot of caches....i.e. lamposts, "park here and walk to..."" etc...

                                                  so i guess the walk was too much for the cacher..hehehehhehe

                                                  wanda texas

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                                                    I haven't hidden any caches yet (I have some planned, though) and I can see how that would be really annoying. Seems like the height of egotism to me to suggest that a cache be archived just because you can't find it. The only situation that I can think of where it might be justified to use the 'needs archiving' is that there are multiple DNF's all reporting that the remnants of the cache are strewn around the area and the owner has not responded. Otherwise just post a note asking for verification if there are multiple DNFs or if it looks like the area might have been disturbed by construction. Otherwise just admit that the owner was more clever than you think you are and you could not find it.

                                                    Jay / BingOGT

                                                    To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                                    From: gtbevo2000@...
                                                    Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 6, 2010
                                                      Even then, the 'Needs Archiving' is the nuclear option.

                                                      My suggestion:
                                                      • Multiple DNFs first
                                                      • Note(s) to the owner
                                                      • Needs Maintenance log
                                                      • Needs Archiving
                                                      I've only used it once or twice.  The one I remember clearly was a cache that had been muggled and not replaced, disabled, or archived for over a year.

                                                      Best,

                                                      Russ the waterweasel

                                                      To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                                      From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                                                      Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                                        OK, that's weird.  I posted this May 6th . . . why am I receiving it now?

                                                        Russ the waterweasel

                                                        To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                                        From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                                                        Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                                        The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                                                        --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                                                        > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                                                        >
                                                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                                                      • Kay Barfield
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                                          The computer is hiccupping....?????

                                                          KAY/ AXX

                                                          Parked dianglelly in parrallel universes.

                                                          To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                                          From: waterweasel@...
                                                          Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:33:18 -0500

                                                          To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                                          From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com
                                                          Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:10:41 +0000

                                                          The one that really irked me was when someone posted a "Needs Archiving" on one of mine because they couldn't find it! What?? Umm - just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it needs to be archived! I really dislike it when people use that "Needs Archiving" log. Ergh.

                                                          --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Malia B" <maliabarth@ ...> wrote:

                                                          > I saw one, also... I don't remember if it was on one of our caches, or on a couple nearby that are notoriously hard to find... but the logger said something to the effect "I couldn't find it, and as anyone knows, if I can't find it, it must not be there!" He may have been saying it tongue in cheek (he had just 15 finds logged), or may have been serious... but it was found a few days later by someone else.
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "M.Schreffler" <mschref@> wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I received a log recently that was a DNF where the cacher posted something to the effect "I didn't find it. It must have been muggled and isn't here any longer".  I checked and it was there.  I didn't find the log snippy but I was worried it would discourage the next cacher who came along!  A DNF does not a muggled cache make... - motx

                                                        • Rich and Di Michelson
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                                            I just got this today, too, Russ.  I've been seeing this kind of strange behavior all day with Yahoo groups - receiving messages late.

                                                            --Di
                                                            dirich92

                                                            To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
                                                            From: gtbevo2000@yahoo. com