Kid Caches??

  • BeOnTheLookOut <gjohnson2009@austin.rr.c
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      I need help!! I have two nieces, 5 & 6 years old, coming to visit
      for spring break. I need something for them to do in the Austin
      area. I know about the Childens Museum, but that will only take up a
      day. I want to find kid friendly caches for them to hunt. It would
      give me a great opportunity to teach them Cache - in Trash - out.
      Anybody have any ideas? The terrain would have to be fairly easy, as
      they are girls. I just don't want us to stay cooped up in the house
      all week. Thanks, Brandy
    • Wayne Lind
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        A whole lot depends on how messy and wet you want them to get :)

        My first suggestion would be kids only (GC755D). It is a 4 part multi that was created with children in mind. Another possiblity would be Bohican falls (GC71B7) which involves crossing Bull Creek. If the weather is warm enough they may enjoy the water. A third possibility may be Koi Cache (GCE80) which would allow them to see Zilker gardens and visit with (but not swim with) the fish in the Koi pond. One other possibility might be YAPIDKA4 (GC79BB) which is in a little park that has some pretty good playground stuff, a sandbox, and two ponds. Every time I have been there I have seen at least one duck in the pond so bring some bread with you and maybe they would like feeding the ducks.

        Good Luck,
        Wayne

      • Candy Lind <candylind@email.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "BeOnTheLookOut
          <gjohnson2009@a...>" <gjohnson2009@a...> wrote:
          > I need help!! I have two nieces, 5 & 6 years old, coming to visit
          > for spring break ... I want to find kid friendly caches for them
          > to hunt.

          Brandy, don't listen to Wayne about Bohican Falls. It's named for a
          fall off the rock face the owner took! :-}

          Here's a list I would consider kid friendly and I've thrown in
          some "too cool" virtuals that they would enjoy and learn from.

          If you think they can do an easy 2 mile hike, "Vaught Ranch Lagoon"
          is just lovely. You cross the creek 10 times before you get to the
          cache location. Waterfalls and pools abound, and the babbling water
          and birdsong is so restful!
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45035>

          "It's Balcones Fault... Two" is an easy walk in a little bitty Travis
          County Park.
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48272>

          "YAWCC" says "grab your mountain bike," but it's an easy walk down an
          easy hill from the pool to the cache, and you don't really have to
          get into the trails that can get you lost.

          Science Lesson Virtual Cache
          You walk up and think you only found a funky building, but look at
          what is inside!!
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=16385>

          YAPIDKA Series #3
          In a South Austin Park -- I bet it's the only one with a small
          cemetary right in the middle of it!
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29979>

          Kids Only
          Begins at a playground in a South Austin Park, so it's better to have
          kids to look for the clues.
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=30045>

          A Wee Bit O' Fun
          This is a fun puzzle cache on a walking trail in South Austin. We did
          it with a 5 year old and her parents and the excercise stations kept
          her busy enough to not get bored. The older ones can help with the
          puzzle.
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14018>

          If you want an entire day with caches and some other diversion, go to
          Longhorn Caverns State Park. There are four caches (3 real and 1
          virtual, 5 if you do the virtual posted on Navicache), and then you
          can tour the cave. If you just do the caches, there is no admission
          fee. A couple of the locations might be pretty wet if there has been
          recent rain, but should dry out pretty quickly afterwards.

          Backbone Ridge Cache
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8638>
          Be observant virtual cache
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8640>
          Longhorn Cache
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18825>
          Longhorn Cave Cache aka Stonehenge
          <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=54880>

          I hope you have a wonderful time!
          Happy Trails,
          Candy
        • Ed Franks
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003

            Also add K’s Birthday wish, a very easy terrain and a good find for kids

            Have fun…

            Aahz

            > I need help!!  I have two nieces, 5 & 6 years old, coming to visit

            > for spring break ... I want to find kid friendly caches for them
            > to hunt.

          • Wayne Lind
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2003
              Can't argue with you, that is a nice cache as well. Candy also had some very good suggestions. I did not know that spring break is next week, so I would agree that Bohican falls is probably not a good choice.
              Also add K’s Birthday wish, a very easy terrain and a good find for kids

              Have fun…

              Aahz

              > I need help!!  I have two nieces, 5 & 6 years old, coming to visit

              for spring break ... I want to find kid friendly caches for them

              > to hunt.

            • Tony Fannin
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2003
                --- Wayne Lind <wlind@...> wrote:
                > Another
                > possiblity would be Bohican falls
                > (GC71B7) which involves crossing Bull Creek. If the
                > weather is warm enough
                > they may enjoy the water.

                I wouldn't do it with kids at this time of year. I did
                cache maintence a few weeks ago and that water is bone
                chilling right now. In the middle of summer though it
                feels great. One you could try is another of ours just
                arund the bend from there, All Tangled Up(GC57D6).
                It's a really nice park with a good sized playground
                for the kiddos to play on after you find the cache.
                Fairly level hike in to it also with a small spring to
                play in.

                Tony
                El Capitan, Team Bohica

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Wayne Lind
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2003
                  True. I did not know that spring break was like this week. I was expecting it to be in the spring. Silly me.
                  > (GC71B7) which involves crossing Bull Creek. If the
                  > weather is warm enough
                  > they may enjoy the water.

                  I wouldn't do it with kids at this time of year. I did
                  cache maintence a few weeks ago and that water is bone
                  chilling right now. In the middle of summer though it
                  feels great. One you could try is another of ours just
                  arund the bend from there, All Tangled Up(GC57D6).
                  It's a really nice park with a good sized playground
                  for the kiddos to play on after you find the cache.
                  Fairly level hike in to it also with a small spring to
                  play in.

                  Tony
                  El Capitan, Team Bohica

                • BeOnTheLookOut
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5, 2003
                    Thanks to you all for the suggestions. They are just what I am
                    looking for. I may go scout Bohican Falls before the girls arrive.
                    Just to be sure. :-) I sure they will love them all though. Thanks
                    again, Brandy