Re: Window Cling Travel Bugs Confusion

  • kiweone
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
      Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

      Thanks Again
      Kiwe

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

      > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
      > >

      > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
      > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
      > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
      > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
      > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
      > >
      > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
      > >
      > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
      > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
      > >
      > > Tygress/BarbJ

    • Vicki L. Almstrum
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
        It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

        -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

        On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

        Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

        Thanks Again
        Kiwe

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

        > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
        >
        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
        > >

        > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
        > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
        > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
        > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
        > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
        > >
        > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
        > >
        > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
        > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
        > >
        > > Tygress/BarbJ

      • Mrs. Captain Picard
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
          The trick is to get the strategic parking spot at a big event!
          Good luck!

          On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Vicki L. Almstrum <almstrum@...> wrote:

          It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

          -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

          On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

          Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

          Thanks Again
          Kiwe

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

          > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
          > >

          > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
          > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
          > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
          > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
          > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
          > >
          > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
          > >
          > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
          > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
          > >
          > > Tygress/BarbJ

        • Nathaniel D
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
            As kind of a tangent to this whole thing - wasn't there someone that made car graphics for existing bug numbers?  I've already got my Jeep set up as a bug, but I wouldn't mind adding a vinyl just above the trail-rated emblem.

            Nathaniel
            grn beret 2b
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

              Slytherin -- Alex... is our local 'cling' man (if he's still doing them); he also does protective clear 'shields' for GPSes and other electronics

              barbj/tygress

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

                And writing 6 digits down from a moving vehicle (given my wonky vision anyway) is asking a LOT. Sorry.

                BarbJ/Tygress

                It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

                -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

                Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

                Thanks Again
                Kiwe

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

                > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                > >

                > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
                > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
                > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
                > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                > >
                > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                > >
                > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
                > >
                > > Tygress/BarbJ

                Nutrition

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

                  But I'd likely honk and wave!

                  BarbJ/Tygress

                  It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

                  -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                  On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

                  Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

                  Thanks Again
                  Kiwe

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

                  > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
                  > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
                  > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
                  > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                  > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                  > >
                  > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                  > >
                  > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                  > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
                  > >
                  > > Tygress/BarbJ

                  Small Business Tools
                  Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.

                • Lisa Campbell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Thanks for the window cling travel bug talk. I'm reminded that I now have one thanks to winning a door prize at the Very Merry Christmas Bache (GC21PB1) hosted by Opalblade and MamaCC. Heading out to put it on right now, so be on the lookout. I'm fulling expecting a Tygress honk and wave any day now. ;)

                    Lisa ~ BackroadsGal

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

                      Hoo boy. Pressure.

> [...]

                      > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                      > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                      > >
                      > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                      > >
                      > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                      > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.

                    • poulsen
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                        Tygress

                        Do you know who picked up Xiolotl at the Valentine's day meet. The site has been archived and te travel bug was listed as lost. Thanks for any help in finding it and getting it back on the road.

                        Larry P

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010

                          I saw it in someone's hand ... but don't remember whose.  I know for a fact it wasn't left in the box or I would have reclaimed it.

                          It's not "lost," just in an unknown location. A subtle difference, but telling. Be patient -- it will turn up.

                          However, you might write the event owner and ask, or thumb through the attendees.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                            I also got the same automatic message. I know for a fact that no TBs were "lost". A note to the event page might remind those that took the TBs to be sure to log them out.

                            Not to worry,
                            BGTx

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                              Thanks

                              I will wait a while and then go looking.

                              Larry P

                              Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:07 PM
                              Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] xolotl

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010

                                =good thinks=

                                travel bugs can be such pains ...

                                Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:07 PM

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010

                                  except they have to be 'watching' the event to get the note.

                                  I know, details, details....

                                  -B/tygress

                                  I also got the same automatic message. I know for a fact that no TBs were "lost". A note to the event page might remind those that took the TBs to be sure to log them out.

                                  Not to worry,
                                  BGTx

                                  Do you know who picked up Xiolotl at the Valentine's day meet. The site has been archived and te travel bug was listed as lost. Thanks for any help in finding it and getting it back on the road.

                                  Larry P

                                  Diet Help
                                  Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.