Window Cling Travel Bugs Confusion

  • kiweone
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2010
      Ok - I am really confused about the new window clings and car magnets that are out there, hopefully you guys can clear this up for m.

      We bought a window cling and it came with a traditional TB (even a copy for our records) So I get how the window cling works but what do I do with the travel bug?? Do I put it into the wild/circulation and have people find that one and continue to discover the window cling on my car at the same time?

      Or

      do I keep the traditional TB and put it on my keychain or bag etc and let people discover it that way.

      I think these new types of Trackables should come with some instructions for us blondes! ;)

      - Kiwe
    • Matthew Manning
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28, 2010
        Its a backup code. It is incase something destroys your window cling, you can still post something to the bug page.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28, 2010

          When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...

          Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?

          Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.

          I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.

          I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.

          In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.

          Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).

          Hope that's helped, not confused further.

          Tygress/BarbJ

          From: "kiweone" <kmcguire@...>
          Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:25:38 -0000
          To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

          Ok - I am really confused about the new window clings and car magnets that are out there, hopefully you guys can clear this up for m.

          We bought a window cling and it came with a traditional TB (even a copy for our records) So I get how the window cling works but what do I do with the travel bug?? Do I put it into the wild/circulation and have people find that one and continue to discover the window cling on my car at the same time?

          Or

          do I keep the traditional TB and put it on my keychain or bag etc and let people discover it that way.

          I think these new types of Trackables should come with some instructions for us blondes! ;)

          - Kiwe

          Weight Loss Program
          Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!

        • tnk120499
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28, 2010
            After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.

            > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
            > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
            > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
            > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
            > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
            >
            > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
            >
            > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
            > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
            >
            > Tygress/BarbJ

          • kiweone
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
              Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

              Thanks Again
              Kiwe

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

              > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
              > >

              > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
              > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
              > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
              > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
              > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
              > >
              > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
              > >
              > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
              > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
              > >
              > > Tygress/BarbJ

            • Vicki L. Almstrum
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

                -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

                Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

                Thanks Again
                Kiwe

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

                > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                > >

                > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
                > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
                > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
                > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                > >
                > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                > >
                > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
                > >
                > > Tygress/BarbJ

              • Mrs. Captain Picard
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                  The trick is to get the strategic parking spot at a big event!
                  Good luck!

                  On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Vicki L. Almstrum <almstrum@...> wrote:

                  It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

                  -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                  On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

                  Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

                  Thanks Again
                  Kiwe

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

                  > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
                  > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
                  > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
                  > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                  > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                  > >
                  > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                  > >
                  > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                  > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
                  > >
                  > > Tygress/BarbJ

                • Nathaniel D
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                    As kind of a tangent to this whole thing - wasn't there someone that made car graphics for existing bug numbers?  I've already got my Jeep set up as a bug, but I wouldn't mind adding a vinyl just above the trail-rated emblem.

                    Nathaniel
                    grn beret 2b
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

                      Slytherin -- Alex... is our local 'cling' man (if he's still doing them); he also does protective clear 'shields' for GPSes and other electronics

                      barbj/tygress

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

                        And writing 6 digits down from a moving vehicle (given my wonky vision anyway) is asking a LOT. Sorry.

                        BarbJ/Tygress

                        It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

                        -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                        On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

                        Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

                        Thanks Again
                        Kiwe

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

                        > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
                        >
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
                        > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
                        > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
                        > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                        > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                        > >
                        > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                        > >
                        > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                        > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
                        > >
                        > > Tygress/BarbJ

                        Nutrition

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

                          But I'd likely honk and wave!

                          BarbJ/Tygress

                          It can be a slow process -- we have had Fiedo's Odyssey up for several weeks and no finds yet! Part of the problem for us is that the bug is just too subtle -- black on grey-tinted window.

                          -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                          On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM, kiweone <kmcguire@...> wrote:

                          Thanks so much everyone - I now fully understand and now the challenge is on to find my "The Sentra Bug" and "The Vigor Bug" driving around North Austin. Mostly in Cedar Park! Lets see who can spot one first!

                          Thanks Again
                          Kiwe

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tnk120499" <tnk120499@...> wrote:

                          > After I received all of my different types of TBs, I put them where they are meant to be (Windows, Trucks, T-Shirts, etc...) then I take the tags and put them on my key chain. It works well enough for me. you can do pretty much whatever you would like with them. Just don't try and put your window in a cache. It might break.
                          >
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > When you order dog-tags, you usually get two -- one with 'copy' on it...
                          > > Usually that serves as a back-up, so when #1 goes missing, as happens too often, you can send out #2. You don't really want both out at the same time, because it confuses accounting -- how can the same 'bug' be in two places?
                          > > Once you purchase and activate a tb or coin, that number is YOURS. So if it does go missing, you can send out something else with that number (there's a company that's in the process of making proxy coins, which will be engraved with the numbers you choose), and the bug lives on. Some people even delete all the logs, so the mileage starts back at zero -- if you care about those statistics.
                          > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                          > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                          > >
                          > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                          > >
                          > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                          > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.
                          > >
                          > > Tygress/BarbJ

                          Small Business Tools
                          Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.

                        • Lisa Campbell
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Thanks for the window cling travel bug talk. I'm reminded that I now have one thanks to winning a door prize at the Very Merry Christmas Bache (GC21PB1) hosted by Opalblade and MamaCC. Heading out to put it on right now, so be on the lookout. I'm fulling expecting a Tygress honk and wave any day now. ;)

                            Lisa ~ BackroadsGal

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010

                              Hoo boy. Pressure.

> [...]

                              > > I don't know if that's purely copacetic behavior, but being that I was given the duplicate tags by Groundspeak with my first set of trackable tags, THEY set the precedence.
                              > > I also keep a record of all my bug #s, so if they do go missing, I have more than a physical tag as record. The trick is, of course, if you send out a proxy item, that cachers RECOGNIZE that is a trackable. I've had a couple failures in that regard. But all I was out was paper and lamination. So no tears.
                              > >
                              > > In your case, with the cling, what many do is put the dog-tag on their key ring, so folks at the event can write down the number without going into parking lot.
                              > >
                              > > Oh, you're not being obtuse, it's simply that the rules are so darn flexible that they don't give a whole lot of feedback to the touch (typing metaphorically here).
                              > > Hope that's helped, not confused further.

                            • poulsen
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                                Tygress

                                Do you know who picked up Xiolotl at the Valentine's day meet. The site has been archived and te travel bug was listed as lost. Thanks for any help in finding it and getting it back on the road.

                                Larry P

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010

                                  I saw it in someone's hand ... but don't remember whose.  I know for a fact it wasn't left in the box or I would have reclaimed it.

                                  It's not "lost," just in an unknown location. A subtle difference, but telling. Be patient -- it will turn up.

                                  However, you might write the event owner and ask, or thumb through the attendees.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                                    I also got the same automatic message. I know for a fact that no TBs were "lost". A note to the event page might remind those that took the TBs to be sure to log them out.

                                    Not to worry,
                                    BGTx

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                                      Thanks

                                      I will wait a while and then go looking.

                                      Larry P

                                      Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:07 PM
                                      Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] xolotl

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010

                                        =good thinks=

                                        travel bugs can be such pains ...

                                        Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:07 PM

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010

                                          except they have to be 'watching' the event to get the note.

                                          I know, details, details....

                                          -B/tygress

                                          I also got the same automatic message. I know for a fact that no TBs were "lost". A note to the event page might remind those that took the TBs to be sure to log them out.

                                          Not to worry,
                                          BGTx

                                          Do you know who picked up Xiolotl at the Valentine's day meet. The site has been archived and te travel bug was listed as lost. Thanks for any help in finding it and getting it back on the road.

                                          Larry P

                                          Diet Help
                                          Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.