Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Newbie and Clueless

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010

      Hi!

      620 and 45?  As in Brushy Creek?  If so (and if you want, of course), drop me a line and we meet and do some of the local caches before dinner some evening.  Tygress and I live at roughly OConnor and Great Oaks.  The notable HiDude family and TreyB are also local residents.

      Best,

      Russ the waterweasel

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
        Paul

        We did try to find one that is right down the street from us that your family did but it was getting dark so we left and found our first one in CHP by Team Rocket! My son was very excited! We found that we could use my husband's cell phone as a GPS device! We are hooked!

        Thanks!
        Brandie/Still thinking!

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
            If you want cheap but capable, you can get a Garmin Etrex for under (or about) $100.  But you will eventually want to upgrade to a better model....  But it would be good to use for maybe a 6 months to a year and then you will see what everyone else is using and you'll really want to get a much more expensive model (but you can get used ones a bit cheaper).

            Look at the Etrex at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Cabelas or REI....
            Barry
            aka Doc Geo

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
              Brandie and family,

              First of all, welcome to the Austin geocaching family.  We are very supportive of each other and are glad to be of help.
              I have a basic entry level Garmin eTrex Legend which is something that was mentioned earlier that would be a good starting point in geocaching.  You can borrow that as it is updated to the lastest firmware and maps even though I don't use it as I have a Garmin 60 series which is something that most area cachers use.

              I live not too far from you, 183/Duval area and will be willing to loan you my eTrex Legend until you decide to get a unit of your own.  The Austin area cachers are a wonderful group and hope that you and your family enjoy this wonderful game and the family that goes with it.

              Cheers,
              Manny / handsoff

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 27, 2010
                Roger that (I hope; else I'm not worthy)...

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 27, 2010

                  Boobie Girdlebuns is based on the Captain Underpants name game ...

                  You can google Captain Underpants name or just go to http://www.tummyfluff.co.uk/games/newname.htm

                  Barb, Tygress LONG before Geocaching, J

                  Roger that (I hope; else I'm not worthy)...

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Pam Tobias <geopblt@...> wrote:

                  > Boobie Girdlebuns is missing it's first redirector!  At least I think it was this past weekend.  I sure couldn't find it and neither could jforceatx before me.
                  >
                  > Pam/pblt
                  >
                  > On Feb 23, 2010, at 2:40 PM, semperquestio wrote:
                  >
                  > > Welcome to the game. You could always get someone to take you to a certain cache called "Boobie Girdlebuns" to get you a name! ;)
                  > >
                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mrs. Captain Picard" <mrscaptainpicard@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Oh, and the MOST IMPORTANT piece of advice is to pick a really fun game
                  > > > name. This is how you'll be known to other players, so don't get in a hurry
                  > > > and pick your real name or a boring login ID or something. Get creative!
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > > Julie
                  > > > Mrs. Captain Picard

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:

                  Diet Help
                  Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.

                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                    I'm actually familiar with P-p-p-rofessor P-p-p-poopy P-p-p-pants because my kids had the book years ago. We had fun with the names back then. This in large part is why I've been anxious to get the whole family over to enjoy this cache. Getting the whole family anywhere to hunt a cache is a challenge. The other day I was merely scouting it out in anticipation of that, but spent countless minutes stealthingly acting like I was researching bark or something and wondering about feeling unworthy. Poopy. However, I digress.

                    I checked the link you included, and had to chuckle - not because of my translated name, which is kinda lame, but because of the fact that I already voluntarily use at least 3 of those names for table reservations and such. Sometimes when I walk into the right joint, I'm greeted with "Oh, hi Spanky."

                    Or Stinky, or Goober, or Doofus... Anything but George Bush, or Elvis, or Jim (my actual name).

                    They love to call it out over the PA - or hate to call it out over the PA, which just adds to the fun.

                    Years ago we were waiting for a table at restaurant X. They called "table for Jim" and 3 of us stood up. That's it, I thought, I'm never using my real name again. Now, there's no question. Fast forward to sometime well before the turn of the century. My sister comes in from out of town and drives to join us at the Oasis. Ever try to find someone at the Oasis? One thousand six hundred fifty seven different decks? Well, she walks up to the hostess, and meekly asks if by chance they might have a table in the... name... of... uh... stinky?

                    She said when the hostesses stopped laughing, they pointed her right to us. It works! It makes people look at you funny, but it works!

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010

                      We use Wolfe (with an e) ... Jernigan gives 'em conniptions.

                      Stinky, eh? Careful, sometimes thing STICK!

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                      I'm actually familiar with P-p-p-rofessor P-p-p-poopy P-p-p-pants because my kids had the book years ago.  We had fun with the names back then.  This in large part is why I've been anxious to get the whole family over to enjoy this cache.  Getting the whole family anywhere to hunt a cache is a challenge.  The other day I was merely scouting it out in anticipation of that, but spent countless minutes stealthingly acting like I was researching bark or something and wondering about feeling unworthy.  Poopy.  However, I digress.

                      I checked the link you included, and had to chuckle - not because of my translated name, which is kinda lame, but because of the fact that I already voluntarily use at least 3 of those names for table reservations and such.  Sometimes when I walk into the right joint, I'm greeted with "Oh, hi Spanky."

                      Or Stinky, or Goober, or Doofus...  Anything but George Bush, or Elvis, or Jim (my actual name).

                      They love to call it out over the PA - or hate to call it out over the PA, which just adds to the fun.

                      Years ago we were waiting for a table at restaurant X.  They called "table for Jim" and 3 of us stood up.  That's it, I thought, I'm never using my real name again.  Now, there's no question.  Fast forward to sometime well before the turn of the century.  My sister comes in from out of town and drives to join us at the Oasis.  Ever try to find someone at the Oasis?  One thousand six hundred fifty seven different decks?  Well, she walks up to the hostess, and meekly asks if by chance they might have a table in the... name... of... uh... stinky?

                      She said when the hostesses stopped laughing, they pointed her right to us.  It works!  It makes people look at you funny, but it works!

                      > Boobie Girdlebuns is based on the Captain Underpants name game ...
                      > You can google Captain Underpants name or just go to http://www.tummyfluff.co.uk/games/newname.htm
                      > Barb, Tygress LONG before Geocaching, J

                      Nutrition