Newbie and Clueless

  • b_kennedy@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
      Hi all!

      I am wanting to start geocaching with my boys 9 and 11. I think they would really like it, however I am clueless where to begin. I have searched a lot on the internet and nothing I can find is very clear on how to start, where to find some near you, what are guidelines on hiding your own cache, what to hide etc. If anyone has some suggestions on an easy way to start I sure would appreciate it.

      Thanks!
      Brandie
    • Danielle Skelton
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
        Relative newbie here, too.  All on the list serve and groundspeak forums are very helpful.  read everything you can and take note of the veterans advice.  if you want, i (as would others, i bet) would be more the willing to meet up with you at a local park to get you started (i cache with my 11 year old son, boyfriend, and his 5 year old daughter).  I dont think you can beat having someone just show you what to do.

        To find some near you, go to geocaching.com, click on hide & seek a cache, enter your home address and a small search radius (say 1-2 miles if you live 'in town') and you should get a list of those in the area.  click on the first one and read through it.  Read all of the logs while your at it.  Glance through the picture galleries.  The more cache pages you read, the better your feel for what you are doing/looking for.

        Danielle/Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem.

        On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM, b_kennedy@... <b_kennedy@...> wrote:

        Hi all!

        I am wanting to start geocaching with my boys 9 and 11. I think they would really like it, however I am clueless where to begin. I have searched a lot on the internet and nothing I can find is very clear on how to start, where to find some near you, what are guidelines on hiding your own cache, what to hide etc. If anyone has some suggestions on an easy way to start I sure would appreciate it.

        Thanks!
        Brandie

      • Mrs. Captain Picard
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
          Hi Brandie!

          Welcome!  I'm glad you've connected with us.

          The best way to get kids involved in caching is to find REGULAR or LARGE caches that might have goodies in them.  I'd start with some caches in the Barton Creek Greenbelt (if you live south) because it's a cool hike and there are lots of ammo cans out there to be found.  On Geocaching.com, go to the Hide and Seek a Cache listing on the left side of the home screen.  Find the spot to search by zip code and put yours in.  When the list comes up, click through to the first cache.  Right below the hint on the left side is a link that says something like "Search GC.com using Google Maps"  Click there and you should see a map of all the caches in your neighborhood.  I would find a nearby greenbelt with some regular or large size caches and go from there.  Resist the temptation to go after the higher difficulty ones right away.  Kids want to FIND, not LOOK.

          If you'll tell us where you live, I'm sure you'll get some suggestions from this group, too.

          As far as hiding a cache, on that same Hide and Seek page, up in the right hand corner, you'll see links for guidelines and the online submission form.  I suggest you find several caches before you attempt to place one.  That'll give you an idea of what works and what doesn't.  But certainly don't be afraid to places caches, as some newbies are.  It's neither rocket science NOR life or death, so get out there and do it!  My BEST hint is to make sure you review your placement using the map on the cache page to make sure it shows where you intended it to show.  That's the #1 painful mistake that gets made.  The second is to think that you can submit the cache notes and THEN put out the cache.  Nope.  Have the cache in place when you submit the notes because it can happen really fast every once in a while and you don't want people out there looking for your cache that's on your dining room table still.  It happens!

          Have fun and we'll see you at an event soon!
          Cheers,
          Julie
          Mrs. Captain Picard (always list your name and your game name so we can figure out who you are!)

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010

            Hi and welcome to geocaching!

            First, I assume you have a GPS and know the basics of how to use it.  If not, that should be step 1.  Then, go to www.geocaching.com to start.  The web site is pretty straight forward and has information on getting started.  Get your free basic account with them.  As part of that, you give the coordinates of your home area (it doesn't have to be your house).  You can ask geocaching.com (aka Groundspeak) for a list of the caches around your home, by zip code, or various other search options).  Geocaches come in traditional (go to the coordinates and find the cache), multis (where the first set of coordinates leads you to a second step and so on to the final cache), puzzles or unknowns (where you need to solve something to obtain the cache coordinates), virtuals (where you get taken to a place of interest and find by answering a question about it.  Note that these are no longer allowed to be established but the older ones are still around.), and earthcaches (like a virtual but aimed at interesting geological/physical features and are still allowed.)  Caches are rated by difficulty and terrain.  Ratings are 1 through 5 in each case.  A terrain 1 SHOULD be wheelchair accessible, a terrain 5 needs special equipment (climbing gear, scuba, kyack, etc.).  Cache size ranges are micro (fingernail to 35 mm film can size), small (soap dish size), regular (tupperware and ammo can sized), and large.  Read the cache pages of the ones near you, find some that sound interesting to you, input their coordinates, and go find them.  I suggest that you bring print outs of the cache pages with you, particularly at first.

            Have fun!

            Russ the waterweasel

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
                Welcome to the game. You could always get someone to take you to a certain cache called "Boobie Girdlebuns" to get you a name! ;)

> [...]
                > > don't want people out there looking for your cache that's on your dining
                > > room table still. It happens!
                > >

                > > Have fun and we'll see you at an event soon!
                > > Cheers,
                > > Julie
                > > Mrs. Captain Picard (always list your name and your game name so we can
                > > figure out who you are!)
                > >

                > > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM, b_kennedy@... <
                > > b_kennedy@...> wrote:
                > >

                > >> Hi all!
                > >>
                > >> I am wanting to start geocaching with my boys 9 and 11. I think they would
                > >> really like it, however I am clueless where to begin. I have searched a lot
                > >> on the internet and nothing I can find is very clear on how to start, where
                > >> to find some near you, what are guidelines on hiding your own cache, what to
                > >> hide etc. If anyone has some suggestions on an easy way to start I sure

              • Pam Tobias
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
                  Boobie Girdlebuns is missing it's first redirector!  At least I think it was this past weekend.  I sure couldn't find it and neither could jforceatx before me.

                  Pam/pblt

                • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
                    And don't pick something that's LONG unless you have a cool abbreviation for it. Yeah - these are the good advice givers. ~laughs~  Because... you WILL be called by all of your names in the community. Monikers give you kharma!

                    Jeri / JestrRulz

                    Oh, and the MOST IMPORTANT piece of advice is to pick a really fun game
                    > name. This is how you'll be known to other players, so don't get in a hurry
                    > and pick your real name or a boring login ID or something. Get creative!
                    > Cheers,
                    > Julie
                    > Mrs. Captain Picard
                  • semperquestio
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
                      Just to support what others have said...

                      - Learn your gizmo. If you don't have one, someone here may have a spare they will let you use to learn the basics.
                      - Go to geocaching.com and read EVERYTHING about the basics of getting started.
                      - Check out some cache listings.
                      - Don't worry about hiding yet. Concentrate on finding until you have a good feel for the game and what kinds of hides you like.
                      - Try your hand at finding low difficulty, low terrain regular caches until you start getting the hang of it, then start on tougher and smaller caches.
                      - Go to some events and meet some of the folks around here (we won't bite...usually).
                      - Post here if you are looking for someone to go caching with you. There are LOTS of folks here that will go with you in a heartbeat.

                      Happy hunting!

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "b_kennedy@..." <b_kennedy@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all!
                      >
                      > I am wanting to start geocaching with my boys 9 and 11. I think they would really like it, however I am clueless where to begin. I have searched a lot on the internet and nothing I can find is very clear on how to start, where to find some near you, what are guidelines on hiding your own cache, what to hide etc. If anyone has some suggestions on an easy way to start I sure would appreciate it.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      > Brandie

                    • Doc
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 23, 2010
                        Brandie,
                        You have come to the right place!
                        Lots of folks here will help you with all questions you have.  If you want to go caching with someone who knows the ropes, many here will volunteer. I live out in the Bastrop area, but if you ever want to bring your boys out to Bastrop State Park, there are tons of caches and great trails and I'd be happy to be your geocaching guide.
                        Have you created an account on geocaching.com yet?  If so, what will your geocaching nickname be?

                        Barry
                        aka Doc Geo

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
                          Thanks everyone for the information! Went to geocaching.com and actualy found a lot in our neighborhood. We live in Round Rock at 620/45. So we will start with those and branch out. We don't have a GPS and would love suggestions for cheap but reliable ones.

                          Thanks!
                          Brandie/Don't have a nickname yet!
                        • Lisa Campbell
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
                            Brandie,

                            Welcome to the crazy sport/hobby/game that is geocaching! Garmin is a great GPSr product, and there are several different models in different price ranges. If you're looking for cheap, you might check on Craigslist or ebay. First, it's a good idea to look at the different models and compare features, such as on Amazon.

                            I also live in Round Rock off 620. Contact me off-list if you would like to work out a time to go geocaching. I'm always happy to cache with others, and enjoy introducing newbies to the fun!

                            Lisa
                            BackroadsGal

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
                              Brandie,

                              A lot of the caches in that area will be hidden by my family. Some are fairly tricky.
                              Make sure to check out the difficulty rating when you go searching for some of them.
                              If you ever get stuck on a cache, feel free to email me directly for help/hint.

                              Have a great time out there caching and welcome to this amazing sport.

                              -paul
                              HiDude_98

                            • wlind@austin.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
                                Hi Brandie,
                                let me add my belated welcome to you as well. I think you will find that the people in this forum are as helpful and friendly and you will find anywhere. You have received an awful lot of very good advice about how to start in the sport and I don't know that I can add anything else to it except for be patient with yourself as you start off. As you gain experience this will become easier, but when you first start out it can be very intimidating and frustrating. As previously suggested, focus on the lower the difficulty hides and you'll had pretty good success to start with. Even experienced cachers sometimes don't find caches every time they search. I hope you and your children enjoy the sport as much as my wife and I have.

                                Wayne Lind
                                AKA The Outlaw

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010

                                  Hi!

                                  620 and 45?  As in Brushy Creek?  If so (and if you want, of course), drop me a line and we meet and do some of the local caches before dinner some evening.  Tygress and I live at roughly OConnor and Great Oaks.  The notable HiDude family and TreyB are also local residents.

                                  Best,

                                  Russ the waterweasel

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
                                    Paul

                                    We did try to find one that is right down the street from us that your family did but it was getting dark so we left and found our first one in CHP by Team Rocket! My son was very excited! We found that we could use my husband's cell phone as a GPS device! We are hooked!

                                    Thanks!
                                    Brandie/Still thinking!

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
                                        If you want cheap but capable, you can get a Garmin Etrex for under (or about) $100.  But you will eventually want to upgrade to a better model....  But it would be good to use for maybe a 6 months to a year and then you will see what everyone else is using and you'll really want to get a much more expensive model (but you can get used ones a bit cheaper).

                                        Look at the Etrex at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Cabelas or REI....
                                        Barry
                                        aka Doc Geo

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 24, 2010
                                          Brandie and family,

                                          First of all, welcome to the Austin geocaching family.  We are very supportive of each other and are glad to be of help.
                                          I have a basic entry level Garmin eTrex Legend which is something that was mentioned earlier that would be a good starting point in geocaching.  You can borrow that as it is updated to the lastest firmware and maps even though I don't use it as I have a Garmin 60 series which is something that most area cachers use.

                                          I live not too far from you, 183/Duval area and will be willing to loan you my eTrex Legend until you decide to get a unit of your own.  The Austin area cachers are a wonderful group and hope that you and your family enjoy this wonderful game and the family that goes with it.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Manny / handsoff

                                          Thanks everyone for the information! Went to geocaching.com and actualy found a lot in our neighborhood. We live in Round Rock at 620/45. So we will start with those and branch out. We don't have a GPS and would love suggestions for cheap but reliable ones.

                                          Thanks!
                                          Brandie/Don' t have a nickname yet!

                                        • Jim
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 27, 2010
                                            Roger that (I hope; else I'm not worthy)...

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 27, 2010

                                              Boobie Girdlebuns is based on the Captain Underpants name game ...

                                              You can google Captain Underpants name or just go to http://www.tummyfluff.co.uk/games/newname.htm

                                              Barb, Tygress LONG before Geocaching, J

                                              Roger that (I hope; else I'm not worthy)...

                                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Pam Tobias <geopblt@...> wrote:

                                              > Boobie Girdlebuns is missing it's first redirector!  At least I think it was this past weekend.  I sure couldn't find it and neither could jforceatx before me.
                                              >
                                              > Pam/pblt
                                              >
                                              > On Feb 23, 2010, at 2:40 PM, semperquestio wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Welcome to the game. You could always get someone to take you to a certain cache called "Boobie Girdlebuns" to get you a name! ;)
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mrs. Captain Picard" <mrscaptainpicard@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Oh, and the MOST IMPORTANT piece of advice is to pick a really fun game
                                              > > > name. This is how you'll be known to other players, so don't get in a hurry
                                              > > > and pick your real name or a boring login ID or something. Get creative!
                                              > > > Cheers,
                                              > > > Julie
                                              > > > Mrs. Captain Picard

                                              <*> Your email settings:
                                                 Individual Email | Traditional

                                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                 (Yahoo! ID required)

                                              <*> To change settings via email:

                                              Diet Help
                                              Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.

                                            • Jim
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                                                I'm actually familiar with P-p-p-rofessor P-p-p-poopy P-p-p-pants because my kids had the book years ago. We had fun with the names back then. This in large part is why I've been anxious to get the whole family over to enjoy this cache. Getting the whole family anywhere to hunt a cache is a challenge. The other day I was merely scouting it out in anticipation of that, but spent countless minutes stealthingly acting like I was researching bark or something and wondering about feeling unworthy. Poopy. However, I digress.

                                                I checked the link you included, and had to chuckle - not because of my translated name, which is kinda lame, but because of the fact that I already voluntarily use at least 3 of those names for table reservations and such. Sometimes when I walk into the right joint, I'm greeted with "Oh, hi Spanky."

                                                Or Stinky, or Goober, or Doofus... Anything but George Bush, or Elvis, or Jim (my actual name).

                                                They love to call it out over the PA - or hate to call it out over the PA, which just adds to the fun.

                                                Years ago we were waiting for a table at restaurant X. They called "table for Jim" and 3 of us stood up. That's it, I thought, I'm never using my real name again. Now, there's no question. Fast forward to sometime well before the turn of the century. My sister comes in from out of town and drives to join us at the Oasis. Ever try to find someone at the Oasis? One thousand six hundred fifty seven different decks? Well, she walks up to the hostess, and meekly asks if by chance they might have a table in the... name... of... uh... stinky?

                                                She said when the hostesses stopped laughing, they pointed her right to us. It works! It makes people look at you funny, but it works!

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010

                                                  We use Wolfe (with an e) ... Jernigan gives 'em conniptions.

                                                  Stinky, eh? Careful, sometimes thing STICK!

                                                  BarbJ/Tygress

                                                  I'm actually familiar with P-p-p-rofessor P-p-p-poopy P-p-p-pants because my kids had the book years ago.  We had fun with the names back then.  This in large part is why I've been anxious to get the whole family over to enjoy this cache.  Getting the whole family anywhere to hunt a cache is a challenge.  The other day I was merely scouting it out in anticipation of that, but spent countless minutes stealthingly acting like I was researching bark or something and wondering about feeling unworthy.  Poopy.  However, I digress.

                                                  I checked the link you included, and had to chuckle - not because of my translated name, which is kinda lame, but because of the fact that I already voluntarily use at least 3 of those names for table reservations and such.  Sometimes when I walk into the right joint, I'm greeted with "Oh, hi Spanky."

                                                  Or Stinky, or Goober, or Doofus...  Anything but George Bush, or Elvis, or Jim (my actual name).

                                                  They love to call it out over the PA - or hate to call it out over the PA, which just adds to the fun.

                                                  Years ago we were waiting for a table at restaurant X.  They called "table for Jim" and 3 of us stood up.  That's it, I thought, I'm never using my real name again.  Now, there's no question.  Fast forward to sometime well before the turn of the century.  My sister comes in from out of town and drives to join us at the Oasis.  Ever try to find someone at the Oasis?  One thousand six hundred fifty seven different decks?  Well, she walks up to the hostess, and meekly asks if by chance they might have a table in the... name... of... uh... stinky?

                                                  She said when the hostesses stopped laughing, they pointed her right to us.  It works!  It makes people look at you funny, but it works!

                                                  > Boobie Girdlebuns is based on the Captain Underpants name game ...
                                                  > You can google Captain Underpants name or just go to http://www.tummyfluff.co.uk/games/newname.htm
                                                  > Barb, Tygress LONG before Geocaching, J

                                                  Nutrition