Re: Cache Scares

  • Opalblade
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2010
      That cache was the first one I ever found, was with my kiddos and saw some coaches and students in the back yard and figured they knew what I was up to since the cache was within view of the complex.  Ok, I just deleted the rest of this paragraph b/c I looked at the listing and the cache has now moved closer to the building, though it still looks to be down the street if I remember the building placement correctly.  I was going to say - wouldn't it make more sense for bombers to place a bomb inside or next to the building than hundreds of feet away, but given that they were fairly close to the building and presumably spotted holding an ammo can; I can see where someone would be concerned, regardless of the gender of the suspicious ammo can hiders :)

      There was a geocacher arrested here in TX very recently when a dad and his son were seen manipulating a lamp skirt hide in an Academy parking lot.  A customer called the police and the customers were trapped in the store for hours while the bomb squad used a robot to lift the lamp skirt.  Meanwhile the dad was arrested in front of his son.  I think some people spend too much time watching the news and crime shows - if he had been planning to plant a bomb or hide some drugs, why would he do it in broad daylight in the middle of a public parking lot?  That said, it is a good thing to be overly cautious, and the bomb squad is certainly to be commended for taking each situation seriously.

      This then sparked a negative news spot in Waco (and an aside, who on earth edits their online summaries?? - "past time"?? - they didn't even go for the common misspelling)

      I definitely go the route of acting like I belong there, though it probably helps that I almost always have kids with me :)  All the muggles I've told about caching so far have looked at me like I was crazy, with the exception of one that was holding a metal detector, but then he obviously has a tendency towards eccentric collection hobbies ;)

      Opalblade/Laura