geocaching documentary

  • tha_snazzle@att.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 15, 2010
      Hey all, I'm part of a group doing a documentary on geocaching this semester for a course at UT. I've been caching for about 6 months now (jaypage on groundspeak), and figured it would be a good topic for a documentary. We're going to start shooting soon, so I figured this would be the best place to look for some input from the Austin area caching community.

      So, some general questions:

      - Are there any regular or semi-regular meetups that don't get posted as event caches on groundspeak? We'd like to go to a meetup, maybe film a bit of it, get some interviews, things like that.

      - Any recommendation of particularly scenic cache locations, or particularly cool caches? I'm looking through the Central Texas geocaching awards site, and that's giving me some good ideas, but any input would be great. As college students we don't have a huge amount of time to get out and film, so anything that would help to narrow the search for cool footage would be great.

      - Does anyone here use caching in the classroom? We might explore the educational aspects of geocaching as part of the documentary, and it'd be cool to get some firsthand input from someone actually teaching caching.

      - Any general input on what you think makes the Austin area in particular special? I heard a story from a fellow cacher about a certain Mr.Potato Head that became part of a game between north Austin and south Austin. Things like this would be excellent. One of the difficulties of the documentary as a genre seems to be getting a feel for which narratives are important or interesting. So, what makes caching special to you?

      - If you'd be willing to do an interview, and you're near campus, that would be wonderful. Right now, we're in the planning stages, so we're still not quite sure which direction we're going to go in.

      These things are just what come to mind immediately. Any other input is definitely welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

      --Dave Mauch (jaypage)
    • Doc
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 15, 2010
        Dave,
        I work next to the Capitol, have over 3000 finds, have completed many "challenge" series of caches and could easily meet you during lunch time every day if you wish.  I commute by bus from the Bastrop area so can't stay past 4pm except for "some" Thursdays and Fridays when I might be driving in....
        Barry
        aka Doc Geo

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 15, 2010

          Dave,

          I don’t have a lot of caching experience but I can recommend one cache that is not a typical cache, it is pure artistry: GCZMW2 - End of the Path. It is one that does not show up on any of the award lists that I have seen, so you might miss it if those were the only ones that you are considering. It is located in Round Rock near the Dell Diamond.

          ïõñöðøò÷ïõñöð

          Jay Bingham/ BingOGT

            Georgetown , TX USA

          ïõñöðøò÷ïõñöð

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 16, 2010
            Hi Dave,

            I am a pretty new cacher, but I did have a recommendation for a scenic cache - GC929: Cache on Prayer Mountain. You have to climb a LOT of steps to get up there, but the view is amazing.

            I also really like End of the Path (that the previous poster suggested). It's a really creative cache hiding spot. :)

            I look forward to hearing more about your documentary!!
          • Jay Bingham
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 16, 2010

              Dave,

              I forgot to mention that the Georgetown Parks and Recreation department sponsored a Geocaching course in January. I don’t think that they have any more in the next six months, but they might be able to provide information about how the course is taught.

              õñö Jay / BingOGT

              ï®ð

              ÷òø Georgetown , TX USA

            • banda_geocacher
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010

                  For interesting caches, in addition to some that you've already gotten, I would like to add GCKEPT -- Spring Loaded.  It's about 15 feet down in Barton Springs Pool . . . <G>

                  Russ aka the Waterweasel

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010
                    And don't forget Line of Sight

                    Barry

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010
                      Awesome! The group should be meeting tomorrow, so we can get some possible interview times worked out, and we'll let you know. Thanks!

                    • tha_snazzle@att.net
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010
                        Thanks everyone for the recommendations! keep them coming!

                      • tha_snazzle@att.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010
                          This sounds interesting. Would you happen to know who in particular would be the person to contact?

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Bingham" <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                          > Dave,
                          >

                          > I forgot to mention that the Georgetown Parks and Recreation department
                          > sponsored a Geocaching course in January. I don't think that they have any
                          > more in the next six months, but they might be able to provide information
                          > about how the course is taught.
                          >

                          > *** Jay / BingOGT
                          >
                          > ***
                          >
                          > *** Georgetown, TX USA

                        • Jay Bingham
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010

                            I do not have a name to contact but it was listed under the Adventure Program in the brochure, the phone number for that program is: (512) 763-8365

                            õñö Jay / BingOGT
                            ï®ð
                            ÷òø Georgetown , TX USA

                            This sounds interesting. Would you happen to know who in particular would be the person to contact?

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, " Jay Bingham " <binghamjc@. ..> wrote:

                            > Dave,
                            >

                            > I forgot to mention that the Georgetown
                            Parks and Recreation department
                            > sponsored a Geocaching course in January. I don't think that they have any
                            > more in the next six months, but they might be able to provide information
                            > about how the course is taught.
                            >

                            > *** Jay / BingOGT
                            >
                            > ***
                            >
                            > *** Georgetown ,
                            w:st="on">TX USA

                          • Wayne Lind
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010
                              As I posted back in January, Trey and I (along with many others) were laid off from Dell late in January, closing a chapter of our lives. I have now started the next chapter, which includes a career change. As such, I will be leaving for Dallas on Sunday to begin learning to drive a truck. This will take me out of the Austin are for 8 weeks before getting some time back here. This is going to be a difficult time for Candy and I, and most difficult for Candy. My days will be busy learning new skills and she will be alone. For this reason, I am asking the centex Geocaching family to help out by keeping Candy company while I am away. Hopefully we can find some cachers who are ready to cache with her and even help her with her diet.

                              The second part of this is an invitation. Although this is not a geocaching event, I am hoping for the opportunity to say a temporary goodbye to the cachers in the area before heading to Dallas. I plan to be at the Rudy's on 183 (N 30° 24.848 W 097° 44.806), Tomorrow at 7:00 PM. Everyone is welcome to join us and we'll eat and have a good time.

                              Wayne
                            • Casey Green
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010
                                Hi Wayne--

                                I haven't been actively involved in CentralTexasGeocachers, but I had to reply when I saw this.  I hope we will be able to make it to your mini-event tomorrow.  I would love to talk to your wife for a while and help be a support for her.  My husband is a truck driver and has been for many years (started at 21, turned 40 in January).  We've been married 10 years and have a 6 year old son.  It will definitely not be an easy transition for either of you, but we all understand you do what you have to do.  If my husband Keith is still home (his truck is in the shop right now and will hopefully done in the morning, but he may still be here for the weekend), we will all try to make it and wish you well in the new adventure.  And he can let you know about some of his cache finds on the road.

                                Casey Green

[...]

                              • Kay Barfield
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010
                                  As a truck driver you can still pursue this hobby through http://www.geotruckers.com/

                                  KAY/ AXX

                                  Parked dianglelly in parrallel universes.

                                  To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: casey_g2006@...
                                  Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:48:45 -0800
                                  Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] The next Chapter...

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010
                                    Ok, it has been suggested that 7:00 at Rudy's on a Friday is probably not the smartest idea. How about 5-6:30?
[...]

                                  • Mrs. Captain Picard

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                        5 - 6:30 is better for me, yes.  I'll post a separate announcement to re-grab everyone's attention.
                                        Hugs,
                                        Julie

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010

                                          Barb and I will be there at the NEW TIME (to reinforce it!) of 5 PM.

                                          Best,

                                          Russ the waterweasel

[...]

                                        • Richard
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                            Wayne, welcome to the Road Warrior World...you truly will be a King of the Road warrior. Hate to miss BBQ with you tomorrow but I will be on the road myself this week...work with an occasional cache along the way!
                                            Cache on,
                                            Dick

                                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...> wrote:

                                            > As I posted back in January, Trey and I (along with many others) were laid
                                            > off from Dell late in January, closing a chapter of our lives. I have now
                                            > started the next chapter, which includes a career change. As such, I will be
                                            > leaving for Dallas on Sunday to begin learning to drive a truck. This will
                                            > take me out of the Austin are for 8 weeks before getting some time back
                                            > here. This is going to be a difficult time for Candy and I, and most
                                            > difficult for Candy. My days will be busy learning new skills and she will
                                            > be alone. For this reason, I am asking the centex Geocaching family to help
                                            > out by keeping Candy company while I am away. Hopefully we can find some
                                            > cachers who are ready to cache with her and even help her with her diet.
                                            >
                                            > The second part of this is an invitation. Although this is not a geocaching
                                            > event, I am hoping for the opportunity to say a temporary goodbye to the
                                            > cachers in the area before heading to Dallas. I plan to be at the Rudy's on
                                            > 183 (N 30° 24.848 W 097° 44.806), Tomorrow at 7:00 PM. Everyone is welcome
                                            > to join us and we'll eat and have a good time.
                                            >

                                            > Wayne

                                          • Matthew Manning
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                              Itsloveinstereo and I love to cache with you and Candy. We still have a ton of caches to get in Austin, and would gladly go caching with Candy anytime!

                                              Wayne, we are still going to contact you for helpline service occasionally. Your knowledge of the many caches in Austin and San Antonio is immense, and you are a great person too. I wish we could make your event tonight, but it is a crazy day today.

                                              Matthew and Sarah

                                              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                              From: "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...>
                                              Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:59:54 -0600
                                              To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                                            • bcfroma
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                                Wayne,

                                                I will be there (cybercat will be there in spirit only) to join you and to say a temp good-bye. Since you have something for cybercat for me to deliver, I will pick it up then.

                                                I want to do some caching during the day on this coming Tuesday and Wednesday (I noticed I have never found a cache on the 23rd and 24th of Feb). If Candy wants some caching company during those days I will be glad to accompany her.

                                                Happy Caching,
                                                Backwards Charlie

                                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...> wrote:

                                                > As I posted back in January, Trey and I (along with many others) were laid
                                                > off from Dell late in January, closing a chapter of our lives. I have now
                                                > started the next chapter, which includes a career change. As such, I will be
                                                > leaving for Dallas on Sunday to begin learning to drive a truck. This will
                                                > take me out of the Austin are for 8 weeks before getting some time back
                                                > here. This is going to be a difficult time for Candy and I, and most
                                                > difficult for Candy. My days will be busy learning new skills and she will
                                                > be alone. For this reason, I am asking the centex Geocaching family to help
                                                > out by keeping Candy company while I am away. Hopefully we can find some
                                                > cachers who are ready to cache with her and even help her with her diet.
                                                >
                                                > The second part of this is an invitation. Although this is not a geocaching
                                                > event, I am hoping for the opportunity to say a temporary goodbye to the
                                                > cachers in the area before heading to Dallas. I plan to be at the Rudy's on
                                                > 183 (N 30° 24.848 W 097° 44.806), Tomorrow at 7:00 PM. Everyone is welcome
                                                > to join us and we'll eat and have a good time.
                                                >

                                                > Wayne

                                              • Carlin
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                                  Wayne and Candy,

                                                  I'll be there for this "non going away for real, non event".
                                                  Wayne, when I was a newbie and found one of your caches, you sent me such a lovely welcome email.  It was very much appreciated Smile emoticon
                                                  Candy, let's go caching!   Well, and Wayne too when you are in town!

                                                  Carlin/1Carlin

                                                  Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:48 PM

[...]

                                                • PKSimmang
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                                    Wayne, I don't think we'll be able to make it but we wish you all the best on your new adventure! Cache on!

                                                    Peter & Dana
                                                    pksimmang & aggiemd91

                                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Carlin" <carlinlb@...> wrote:

                                                    > Wayne and Candy,
                                                    >
                                                    > I'll be there for this "non going away for real, non event".
                                                    > Wayne, when I was a newbie and found one of your caches, you sent me such a lovely welcome email. It was very much appreciated
                                                    > Candy, let's go caching! Well, and Wayne too when you are in town!
                                                    >
                                                    > Carlin/1Carlin

                                                  • Dana Simmang
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                                      We are unable to make it this evening, but wish you all the best in your new adventures!

                                                      Dana
                                                      aggiemd91 (& pksimmang & the geokids)