BSA's "Get Into the Game" Geocaching Event

  • theparksplace
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
      Some of you know me and some do not. I just recently joined the CentralTexasGeocachers. I had been mostly posting on the SAGA group. The reason I am posting is that some of the other SA cachers said that I would reach more people on this forum than on the other one.

      I'm Forrest Parks (theparksplace) out of San Antonio. TheParksPlace is really the entire family but I do most of the caching. We have been caching since 2007. I actually joined in 2006 after watching "America's Treasures" on on of the travel channels which had a segment on geocaching. We found our first cache while on vacation in 2007 and we got hooked. We moved to Texas in Jul 08 and that is when we really got into caching. I just recently went over 1000 finds a few months ago (No, I didn't have an event) and am closing in on my 1000th Texas find in the next few days or so.

      My real purpose of posting is to put out some information on an upcoming event(s) that the Boy Scouts of America are doing as part of their 100th Anniversary. Of interest to cachers is the "Get Into the Game" event. The Alamo Area Council (AAC) is going to have their event in October 2010 (AAC covers Kerr, Kendall, Comal, Guadalupe, Bexar, Wilson, Karnes, Bandera, Medina, Frio, La Salle, McMullen, and Atascosa counties). This website gives some background on all the "Get Into the Game" activities.

      http://scouting.org/100years/100years/Geocaching.aspx

      I have been working with the AAC Executive Staff to come up with a plan for all the events scheduled to take place this year. They are really interested in doing all the different parts of it. But as of right now, nothing is set in stone. I am aware of one of the districts doing their own geocaching event, but don't know who they are working with. After my most recent meeting with the staff, they want to sit down and meet with some of us to plan out what they want to do. What I am considering doing is setting up an Event cache to get people to come and meet with the staff. I am going to meet with them today and try to set up a time and date. Keep a lookout for the posting. I will also send out a message here. If anyone wants to meet with them to go over what the council wants to do, please let me know.

      The main event is not until October, but there is a lot going on between now and then. As of right now, the council does not have the kit for the different parts of the program which is something they are working on. There are several TBs in it that will have to be put out, and several caches that will need to be placed.

      Here is another link with some more information on the kit.

      http://www.examiner.com/x-16640-Denver-Geocaching-Examiner~y2009m12d11-Geocaching-and-the-Boy-Scouts-of-America-centennial-celebration

      This is what we have determined so far that the Council wants to do:
      1. A large Boy/Cub Scout Geocaching event in October intended to get more boys interested in Scouting. It will be held on McGimsey SR. We already know that we are going to need a bunch of cachers to help with this event.

      2. The start of a new Cache Series called "Cache to Eagle" which is intended to showcase the numerous Eagle Scout projects in the Council area.

      3. The introduction of the "Pillars of Scouting" TB's.

      4. The "Race to 2010" pinewood derby cars that will be launched in March 2010 before the National Jamboree.

      5. A Boy Scout CITO event (or in conjunction with another planned CITO).

      6. Another cache series called "Treasures of Scouting" intended to "showcase Scouting people and programs".

      7. Another idea for a series of caches I have based on one in NH. It will be very labor intensive and I will need a lot of help getting put out.

      I am trying to set up the council so they will have their own geocaching account under which all the TBs and caches would be under. The intent will be to have several different cachers place the caches under the Council's name.

      This has the potential to get a lot more people interested in geocaching; both boys and their parents. We have a lot of ideas but would really appreciate having some more input from fellow cachers. At some point between now and then, BSA will be releasing the new GPS/GIS (maybe geocaching) merit badge. It will be a big part of the event once we get more details on the requirements.

      Again, keep a lookout for the "Get Into the Game" Planning Event cache which I will set up after today. I am going to try to have it in the next few weeks so we can get started on some of the events. If anyone wants some more details, please let me know.

      Forrest (theparksplace)
    • theparksplace
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
        The event is GC23DAB and will occur on 20 February at 0900 at the Scout Office.
      • electric_water_boy
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
          You know you can count me and 1st Sgt in on this.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "theparksplace" <theparksplace@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > This has the potential to get a lot more people interested in geocaching; both boys and their parents. We have a lot of ideas but would really appreciate having some more input from fellow cachers. At some point between now and then, BSA will be releasing the new GPS/GIS (maybe geocaching) merit badge. It will be a big part of the event once we get more details on the requirements.
          >
          > Again, keep a lookout for the "Get Into the Game" Planning Event cache which I will set up after today. I am going to try to have it in the next few weeks so we can get started on some of the events. If anyone wants some more details, please let me know.

        • Dana Simmang
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
            Has this event not been published yet?

            Thanks,
            Dana
            aggiemd91
            (mom of a cub scout)

            theparksplace wrote:

            The event is GC23DAB and will occur on 20 February at 0900 at the Scout Office.

          • Esther Lopez
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
              It wasn't the last time I checked.

              But the Meet & greet before the Tx Challenge was just published. It is GC23KN2.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
                It is published now. It's my first attempt at a "hide" and I kept clicking (and unclicking) the little box trying to figure out which was right.

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2010
                  I had to disable this event until I can get it rescheduled. I had something else come up that I can not get out of.

                  If anyone is interested in attending this that was unable to come tomorrow, let me know so I can keep you informed when it gets rescheduled.

                  Forrest

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2010
                    pksimmang and I would be interested (along with our cub scout).  We were unable to make tomorrow's meeting, but hopefully we can make the rescheduled event.

                    Thanks,
                    Dana
                    aggiemd91

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
                      Okay,

                      After having to disable this one because I had conflict I could not get out of, I am going to try to have this one on this Thursday @1800. The event is GC23DAB.

                      Right now I have 10 people that are going to try to come. It's a good start and we will be able to set some things in motion. I just want to let everyone know that we will be looking to get about 50 people or more for the actual event in October. We are going to talk about the parts of it at this event. We may or may not start planning the October event.

                      The time may get pushed back to as late as 6:30 but I will be there at 6pm regardless. I am still waiting on confirmation from the Council guy that he can make it at 6pm.

                      If you want to come, please log it on the cache page. I will e-mail anyone on the page if there are any changes (which I hope there won't be any more).

                      theparksplace
                    • theparksplace
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                        Okay. This is the absolute last time I will be cahnging this event. This time it was an issue with the Alamo Area Council rep that can't make it. So here it is....

                        The new date for the planning meeting (GC23DAB) is 3 March 2010 at 6pm at the Scout Office. We will be done before 7:30pm. Anyone interested in helping out with the big Geocaching Scouting event in October should come. This is a rain or shine, life or....well, I guess if I'm dead I won't be able to come so....life or life event.

                        There will be more meetings later on as that event gets closer. We are going to need at least 50 cachers to help out with it. This meeting is simply to get the ball rolling. The intent is to get a good core of cachers/scouters that want to work on this and form a committee to manage the different parts.

                        Those of you in Austin, you may want to look into what your council is doing for the Get Into the Game event. Every council is suppoed to be doing something to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Scouting.

                        theparksplace