Release Notes - Geocaching.com: 01/12/10

  • banda_geocacher
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 13, 2010
      Wow, lot's of updates to the GC.com website:

      http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239821
    • Debbie Sampson
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 13, 2010
        There seems to be a problem when doing an advanced search by zip code.  Normally you could exclude your finds.  Now it seems it does not exclude your finds.  All your finds and your own caches appear.  You can still get rid of them in google maps but not the list itself.

      • Wayne Lind
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 14, 2010
          As some of you who have been at some of the recent event may have heard, we have a very important anniversary coming up. On March 24, 2001 the worlds first Geocaching event took place... Right here in Austin! This means that next March, we have the opportunity to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of this event. So the question becomes, do we want to celebrate? If so, how do we want to celebrate this? Here are a few of the discussion points we need to work through:
          1. The actual day next year (March 24) falls on a Thursday, which would tend to eliminate the exact day (or does it?) Also, the location for this event was Schultz's Beer Garden down town, a great place to have an event, but capacity could be an issue if the event gets too big.

          2. Do we want to hold a normal event or go for Mega event status? If we do go for Mega, where do we hold it? Again, if we want to go for a Mega event, we will need to move it to a weekend. If we want to stick to a smaller event, to some extent we try for Schultz's, but their capacity is limited. We could hold a small event that day, and go for a mega event on the weekend? The bigger the event we plan, the more volunteers we will need to help coordinate it. Are we as a community ready to sign up for that?

          3. I am not sure we can pull this part off, but I can explore the possibility of having the event Un-archived, so attendees could log the same event. While this may be cool, there is some concern that this would destroy the nostalgia of the original event. Discussion???

          Finally the idea and the credit for this goes to Joel (Thor's Hammer). I want to make sure he gets the credit for this.

          Ok, the floor is open....
        • semperquestio
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 14, 2010
            Thanks to building on the work of some others i the GS forums, I habe a couple Greasemonkey scripts that do a few things that reduces the occurrence of multi-line entries on the profile page and lets you block out your choice of elements on the side bar of your profile. Make the new format much more readable. They will require customization for you particular needs and tastes, but if anyone wants them, just ping me offline and I'll send then to you. Or, if you all prefer, I can just post them in-stream here.

            SQ

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 14, 2010
              Yeah, something needs to be done as close to the anniversary date as possible.

              I don't think going for Mega status is gonna work, Need over 400 or 500 attendees registered to get that I believe. I could be wrong.

              I wonder what it would take to get a piece of Zilker reserved and we could brng in pop-up tents, cookers, set up some games, etc. Maybe do a GPS accurracy game. I can get lots of ideas from my brother. They put on big shindigs that pull in 100-300 people depending on the event.

              SQ

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...> wrote:

              > As some of you who have been at some of the recent event may have heard, we
              > have a very important anniversary coming up. On March 24, 2001 the worlds
              > first Geocaching event took place... Right here in Austin! This means that
              > next March, we have the opportunity to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of
              > this event. So the question becomes, do we want to celebrate? If so, how do
              > we want to celebrate this? Here are a few of the discussion points we need
              > to work through:
              > 1. The actual day next year (March 24) falls on a Thursday, which would tend
              > to eliminate the exact day (or does it?) Also, the location for this event
              > was Schultz's Beer Garden down town, a great place to have an event, but
              > capacity could be an issue if the event gets too big.
              >
              > 2. Do we want to hold a normal event or go for Mega event status? If we do
              > go for Mega, where do we hold it? Again, if we want to go for a Mega event,
              > we will need to move it to a weekend. If we want to stick to a smaller
              > event, to some extent we try for Schultz's, but their capacity is limited.
              > We could hold a small event that day, and go for a mega event on the
              > weekend? The bigger the event we plan, the more volunteers we will need to
              > help coordinate it. Are we as a community ready to sign up for that?
              >
              > 3. I am not sure we can pull this part off, but I can explore the
              > possibility of having the event Un-archived, so attendees could log the same
              > event. While this may be cool, there is some concern that this would destroy
              > the nostalgia of the original event. Discussion???
              >
              > Finally the idea and the credit for this goes to Joel (Thor's Hammer). I
              > want to make sure he gets the credit for this.
              >
              > Ok, the floor is open....

            • softscienceofficer
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                The Zilker Clubhouse might be an option. It's located near virtual cache GCGCHK, can accommodate 150 people and has an outdoor grilling area. I think there's enough room there for the kind of games SQ describes. The Zilker Polo area and Zilker Rock Garden can accommodate 250-300 people. It's also a lot cheaper than the Clubhouse, but there's a no alcohol policy.

                I don't think these links will work, but here's where I found the info:

                Zilker Clubhbouse:
                http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/reservefacilities.htm

                Zilker picnic areas:
                http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/picnic.htm#zilker

                Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio" <sq@...> wrote:

                > Yeah, something needs to be done as close to the anniversary date as possible.
                >
                > I don't think going for Mega status is gonna work, Need over 400 or 500 attendees registered to get that I believe. I could be wrong.
                >
                > I wonder what it would take to get a piece of Zilker reserved and we could brng in pop-up tents, cookers, set up some games, etc. Maybe do a GPS accurracy game. I can get lots of ideas from my brother. They put on big shindigs that pull in 100-300 people depending on the event.
                >
                > SQ
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind" <wlind@> wrote:
                > >
                > > As some of you who have been at some of the recent event may have heard, we
                > > have a very important anniversary coming up. On March 24, 2001 the worlds
                > > first Geocaching event took place... Right here in Austin! This means that
                > > next March, we have the opportunity to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of
                > > this event. So the question becomes, do we want to celebrate? If so, how do
                > > we want to celebrate this? Here are a few of the discussion points we need
                > > to work through:
                > > 1. The actual day next year (March 24) falls on a Thursday, which would tend
                > > to eliminate the exact day (or does it?) Also, the location for this event
                > > was Schultz's Beer Garden down town, a great place to have an event, but
                > > capacity could be an issue if the event gets too big.
                > >
                > > 2. Do we want to hold a normal event or go for Mega event status? If we do
                > > go for Mega, where do we hold it? Again, if we want to go for a Mega event,
                > > we will need to move it to a weekend. If we want to stick to a smaller
                > > event, to some extent we try for Schultz's, but their capacity is limited.
                > > We could hold a small event that day, and go for a mega event on the
                > > weekend? The bigger the event we plan, the more volunteers we will need to
                > > help coordinate it. Are we as a community ready to sign up for that?
                > >
                > > 3. I am not sure we can pull this part off, but I can explore the
                > > possibility of having the event Un-archived, so attendees could log the same
                > > event. While this may be cool, there is some concern that this would destroy
                > > the nostalgia of the original event. Discussion???
                > >
                > > Finally the idea and the credit for this goes to Joel (Thor's Hammer). I
                > > want to make sure he gets the credit for this.
                > >
                > > Ok, the floor is open....

              • softscienceofficer
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                  Oh, I just realized--wouldn't this be the 9th anniversary?

                  Ed/SSO

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010

                    Umm, as you've probably already figured out, Wayne is talking about next year, 2011.  Either way, official mega-event or not, this has the potential to be BIG.  So, if we're going to do this, planning starts now . . .

                    Count me in to help,

                    Russ the waterweasel

                    Oh, I just realized--wouldn' t this be the 9th anniversary?

                    Ed/SSO

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...> wrote:

                    > As some of you who have been at some of the recent event may have heard, we
                    > have a very important anniversary coming up. On March 24, 2001 the worlds
                    > first Geocaching event took place... Right here in Austin! This means that
                    > next March, we have the opportunity to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of
                    > this event. So the question becomes, do we want to celebrate? If so, how do
                    > we want to celebrate this? Here are a few of the discussion points we need
                    > to work through:
                    > 1. The actual day next year (March 24) falls on a Thursday, which would tend
                    > to eliminate the exact day (or does it?) Also, the location for this event
                    > was Schultz's Beer Garden down town, a great place to have an event, but
                    > capacity could be an issue if the event gets too big.
                    >
                    > 2. Do we want to hold a normal event or go for Mega event status? If we do
                    > go for Mega, where do we hold it? Again, if we want to go for a Mega event,
                    > we will need to move it to a weekend. If we want to stick to a smaller
                    > event, to some extent we try for Schultz's, but their capacity is limited.
                    > We could hold a small event that day, and go for a mega event on the
                    > weekend? The bigger the event we plan, the more volunteers we will need to
                    > help coordinate it. Are we as a community ready to sign up for that?
                    >
                    > 3. I am not sure we can pull this part off, but I can explore the
                    > possibility of having the event Un-archived, so attendees could log the same
                    > event. While this may be cool, there is some concern that this would destroy
                    > the nostalgia of the original event. Discussion?? ?
                    >
                    > Finally the idea and the credit for this goes to Joel (Thor's Hammer). I
                    > want to make sure he gets the credit for this.
                    >
                    > Ok, the floor is open....

                  • gumbietygress
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                      Outlaw is talking '11... yeah, a year out.
                      Never too soon to start scheming!

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                      On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:49:08 -0000 "softscienceofficer"
                      <edgeanderson@...> writes:
                      > Oh, I just realized--wouldn't this be the 9th anniversary?
                      >
                      > Ed/SSO
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind"
                      > <wlind@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > As some of you who have been at some of the recent event may have
                      > heard, we
                      > > have a very important anniversary coming up. On March 24, 2001 the
                      > worlds
                      > > first Geocaching event took place... Right here in Austin! This
                      > means that
                      > > next March, we have the opportunity to celebrate the 10 year
                      > anniversary of
                      > > this event. So the question becomes, do we want to celebrate? If
                      > so, how do
                      > > we want to celebrate this? Here are a few of the discussion points
                      > we need
                      > > to work through:
                      > > 1. The actual day next year (March 24) falls on a Thursday, which
                      > would tend
                      > > to eliminate the exact day (or does it?) Also, the location for
                      > this event
                      > > was Schultz's Beer Garden down town, a great place to have an
                      > event, but
                      > > capacity could be an issue if the event gets too big.
                      > >
                      > > 2. Do we want to hold a normal event or go for Mega event status?
                      > If we do
                      > > go for Mega, where do we hold it? Again, if we want to go for a
                      > Mega event,
                      > > we will need to move it to a weekend. If we want to stick to a
                      > smaller
                      > > event, to some extent we try for Schultz's, but their capacity is
                      > limited.
                      > > We could hold a small event that day, and go for a mega event on
                      > the
                      > > weekend? The bigger the event we plan, the more volunteers we will
                      > need to
                      > > help coordinate it. Are we as a community ready to sign up for
                      > that?
                      > >
                      > > 3. I am not sure we can pull this part off, but I can explore the
                      > > possibility of having the event Un-archived, so attendees could
                      > log the same
                      > > event. While this may be cool, there is some concern that this
                      > would destroy
                      > > the nostalgia of the original event. Discussion???
                      > >
                      > > Finally the idea and the credit for this goes to Joel (Thor's
                      > Hammer). I
                      > > want to make sure he gets the credit for this.
                      > >
                      > > Ok, the floor is open....

                      There is only so much you can do -- but you have to do that much.
                      Garrison Keillor, News from Lake Woebegon 11/21/09
                      Senior Assisted Living
                      Put your loved ones in good hands with quality senior assisted living. Click now!
                      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=tIFkMtawbM18m3oPCF1pZQAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASUQAAAAA=
                    • softscienceofficer
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                        Oh, right, 2011. Of course...Duh.

                        Count me in, too, assuming you can deal with my absent-mindedness. Where did I place that cache again?

                        Ed/Soft-headed ScienceOfficer
                      • Carlin
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                          Thanks Joel for the heads up and thanks Wayne for getting this news story in digital print.

                          What a privilege in Geocaching history this area has!

                          I don't have skills in the event planning area, but do sign me up for volunteer grunt!

                          My vote on the original event is to leave it archived.  That was then, this is now.

                          Carlin/1Carlin

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010

                            Can you imagine what the impact would be to the geocaching community there?  Or if it happened here...?

                            Barry
                            aka Doc Geo

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010

                              I think California has gone to limited days for a large number of its parks as well.  Makes me glad that I didn't follow the career path of California Ranger (a near thing . . .)

                              Russ the waterweasel

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                2001 was the first event
                                2002   "    "   second
                                   03             third
                                   04             fourth
                                   05             fifth
                                   06             sixth
                                   07             seventh
                                   08             eighth
                                   09             ninth
                                   10             tenth

                                Is it me (with skewed sight), or would that make THIS year the tenth?

                              • gumbietygress
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                  There you go, being all logical and actually COUNTING...
                                  d'oh! (at me, not thee)
                                  BarbJ/Tygress

                                  @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                  There is only so much you can do -- but you have to do that much.
                                  Garrison Keillor, News from Lake Woebegon 11/21/09
                                  Diet Help
                                  Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
                                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=t-l_dKqagANo9kEPhjueLAAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=
                                • Esther Lopez
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                    BTW, no matter if this year or next or even both, count me in!

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010

                                      Yes, but the 10th anniversary is next year.  The first anniversary was in 2002.

                                      Russ the contrarian waterweasel

                                      @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @
                                      There is only so much you can do -- but you have to do that much.
                                      Garrison Keillor, News from Lake Woebegon 11/21/09
                                      Diet Help
                                      Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
                                      http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ c?cp=t-l_ dKqagANo9kEPhjue LAAAJ1CzOeYfqppc CgoUs_mWjB7KAAYA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AADNAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=

                                    • bcfroma
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...> wrote:

                                        > As some of you who have been at some of the recent event may have heard, we
                                        > have a very important anniversary coming up. On March 24, 2001 the worlds
                                        > first Geocaching event took place... Right here in Austin! This means that
                                        > next March, we have the opportunity to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of
                                        > this event. So the question becomes, do we want to celebrate? If so, how do
                                        > we want to celebrate this? Here are a few of the discussion points we need
                                        > to work through:
                                        > 1. The actual day next year (March 24) falls on a Thursday, which would tend
                                        > to eliminate the exact day (or does it?) Also, the location for this event
                                        > was Schultz's Beer Garden down town, a great place to have an event, but
                                        > capacity could be an issue if the event gets too big.

                                        <BCfA>
                                        Why not two events, one at Schultz's on Thursday Mar 24 and one on the weekend at some bigger place like Zilker Park?
                                        </BCfA>

                                        > 2. Do we want to hold a normal event or go for Mega event status? If we do
                                        > go for Mega, where do we hold it? Again, if we want to go for a Mega event,
                                        > we will need to move it to a weekend. If we want to stick to a smaller
                                        > event, to some extent we try for Schultz's, but their capacity is limited.
                                        > We could hold a small event that day, and go for a mega event on the
                                        > weekend? The bigger the event we plan, the more volunteers we will need to
                                        > help coordinate it. Are we as a community ready to sign up for that?

                                        <BCfA>
                                        I agree with SQ that a Mega may be overreaching. There probably are 100-200 in Texas that would come to a weekend event. But to get another 200-300 from out of state seems a bit much.
                                        </BCfZ>

                                        > 3. I am not sure we can pull this part off, but I can explore the
                                        > possibility of having the event Un-archived, so attendees could log the same
                                        > event. While this may be cool, there is some concern that this would destroy
                                        > the nostalgia of the original event. Discussion???

                                        <BCfA>
                                        Un-archiving the original event, NO. Getting a list of the original attendees and finding what they are up to nowadays, that would be interesting.
                                        </BCfA>

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010

                                          I like this concept . . .

                                          Russ the waterweasel

                                          > As some of you who have been at some of the recent event may have heard, we
                                          > have a very important anniversary coming up. On March 24, 2001 the worlds
                                          > first Geocaching event took place... Right here in Austin! This means that
                                          > next March, we have the opportunity to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of
                                          > this event. So the question becomes, do we want to celebrate? If so, how do
                                          > we want to celebrate this? Here are a few of the discussion points we need
                                          > to work through:
                                          > 1. The actual day next year (March 24) falls on a Thursday, which would tend
                                          > to eliminate the exact day (or does it?) Also, the location for this event
                                          > was Schultz's Beer Garden down town, a great place to have an event, but
                                          > capacity could be an issue if the event gets too big.

                                          <BCfA>
                                          Why not two events, one at Schultz's on Thursday Mar 24 and one on the weekend at some bigger place like Zilker Park?
                                          </BCfA>

                                          > 2. Do we want to hold a normal event or go for Mega event status? If we do
                                          > go for Mega, where do we hold it? Again, if we want to go for a Mega event,
                                          > we will need to move it to a weekend. If we want to stick to a smaller
                                          > event, to some extent we try for Schultz's, but their capacity is limited.
                                          > We could hold a small event that day, and go for a mega event on the
                                          > weekend? The bigger the event we plan, the more volunteers we will need to
                                          > help coordinate it. Are we as a community ready to sign up for that?

                                          <BCfA>
                                          I agree with SQ that a Mega may be overreaching. There probably are 100-200 in Texas that would come to a weekend event. But to get another 200-300 from out of state seems a bit much.
                                          </BCfZ>

                                          > 3. I am not sure we can pull this part off, but I can explore the
                                          > possibility of having the event Un-archived, so attendees could log the same
                                          > event. While this may be cool, there is some concern that this would destroy
                                          > the nostalgia of the original event. Discussion?? ?

                                          <BCfA>
                                          Un-archiving the original event, NO. Getting a list of the original attendees and finding what they are up to nowadays, that would be interesting.
                                          </BCfA>

                                          > Finally the idea and the credit for this goes to Joel (Thor's Hammer). I
                                          > want to make sure he gets the credit for this.
                                          >
                                          > Ok, the floor is open....

                                        • Wayne Lind
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010

                                            Sorry for the confusion, yes. I am talking about 2011. I'd rather start early then try to slap something together at the last moment.

                                          • jestrrrulz@aol.com

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010
                                                - How many folks showed up for dinner Saturday of the last Texas Challenge? Hmmmm that would be a pretty good starting point at determining at least "state numbers".

                                                - What would be the "penalty" or the process if we planned the larger event as a Mega but failed to get 500 participants?  Our area definitely has enough big name/number cachers to draw some people in as well as lots of varied levels of local/urban caches within a ten mile radius to give people a reason to come.

                                                - Where is the Texas Challenge 2011? Could we combine this celebration with the annual Texas Challenge and share our wonderful traditions with others?

                                                I know my schedule is screwy, but I definitely volunteer for an initial ideas committee to meet and bang out some sketches.

                                                Jeri/JestrRulz

                                                P.S. China is awesome. My boss forbade me to bring my GPS due to government stories she had heard. But where there's a will, there's a way...

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010
                                                  You are counting date occurrences. If you are counting anniversaries or birthdays, then it is

                                                  2001 - Original event
                                                  2002 - 1st anniversary (1 year has passed)
                                                  .
                                                  .
                                                  .
                                                  2011 - 10th anniversary (10 years have passed)

                                                  So this year would be the 10th iteration of the date, but next year would be the 10th anniversary of the event. If we had been doing an event on that date every year then this would be the 10th event, but not the tenth anniversary of the first one.

                                                  I always hated dealing with dates when programming. Too many nuances and obscure rules. :)

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 18, 2010

                                                    LOL, that may not be the best example for this. I have reached the point where my math says 29+1=29, +1 is 29+ 1 is 29...

                                                    Glad you made it safely!

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 20, 2010
                                                      Wayne:

                                                      Birthdays are relative. Like a child says, "I'm 6, but I'm going to be 7." I always want to respond, "Well we sure hope so, don't we!" ha ha  That's okay, you can stay 29 as LONG as you want.

                                                      Jeri/JestrRulz

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 20, 2010
                                                        39.99 plus shipping & handling...
                                                        which just keeps on increasing.

                                                        Tygress, expensive to ship

                                                        wlind@... writes:
                                                        I have reached the point where my math says 29+1=29, +1 is 29+ 1 is 29...

                                                        @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                                        There is only so much you can do -- but you have to do that much.
                                                        Garrison Keillor, News from Lake Woebegon 11/21/09
                                                        Small Business Tools
                                                        Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.
                                                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=tLtkqaZSWAqBu3SiXeSKfQAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=
                                                      • Maria "theJump"
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Feb 3, 2010
                                                          Well I'm coming ... all the way from PA and I'm going to get people up here excited to come.  You know you get a couple more people to do this and we might very well have MEGA status even though we don't officially file for it.

                                                          1) Do it on a weekend ... PRETTY PLEASE!

                                                          3) Gotta try to un-archive it!  Nothing would be more cool!!  Get Groundspeak to be excited about it.

                                                          Miss y'all!

                                                          Maria / TheJump