RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Introduction

  • Mike Seay
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
      Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
      McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)

      In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer Belvin. I'm
      sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the Austin
      area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly those
      that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that the vast
      majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so that
      we don't increase the workload for you guys.

      You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
      thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so late
      that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.

      Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of cyberspace.
      I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
      receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to show you
      around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has lead
      you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!

      Regards,

      Mike "Peeve" Seay

    • michael_belvin
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
        Oh But I do carry a GPSr.. a Magellan Meridian Platnum with a 40mb
        street map and a 40mb topo map..My backup unit is a Garmin Legend.
        So if you ever see a cop wondering around with a GPSr its more than
        likely me..
        BTW most common question I get from other cops is "Who are those
        people walking in circles with a gps and do we need to worry about
        them ?" my usual answer is "High tech hide and seek and not unless
        theyre doing something really stupid or unlawfull" fortunately there
        is very little of that so far.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Seay"
        <MBSeay@P...> wrote:
        > Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
        > McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)
        >
        > In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer
        Belvin. I'm
        > sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the
        Austin
        > area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly
        those
        > that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that
        the vast
        > majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so
        that
        > we don't increase the workload for you guys.
        >
        > You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
        > thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so
        late
        > that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.
        >
        > Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of
        cyberspace.
        > I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
        > receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to
        show you
        > around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has
        lead
        > you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Mike "Peeve" Seay

      • Wayne Lind
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
          Hi Mike. I sure could have used you about two weeks ago. While heading for a cache out in the Barton Creek Greenbelt, Trey and I stumbled on a backpack which had apparently been stolen and taken out there to ransack. The contents were scattered all over in the area. Luckily, it had a wallet with a persons drivers license. We stuffed the contents back into the backpack and gave it to an Austin police officer after leaving the greenbelt. If they record 311 calls, you may want to retrieve the tape of me trying to explain GPSr technology to the 311 operator. The poor lady's eyes may still be glazed over. Anyway, I waypointed the site and gave her the coordinates.

          I would be very interested in learning about any uncached parks in the Austin area. My wife and I have a cache series named YAPIDKA, which is short for Yet Another Park I Didn't Know About. It would be nice to add some to the series.
          Welcome to Geocaching, I hope to see you on the trail, and thank you for offering your services.

          Wayne

          <MBSeay@P...> wrote:
          > Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
          > McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)
          >
          > In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer
          Belvin. I'm
          > sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the
          Austin
          > area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly
          those
          > that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that
          the vast
          > majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so
          that
          > we don't increase the workload for you guys.
          >
          > You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
          > thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so
          late
          > that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.
          >
          > Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of
          cyberspace.
          > I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
          > receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to
          show you
          > around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has
          lead
          > you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Mike "Peeve" Seay

        • Candy Lind
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
            OK, Wayne, now you went and got him thinking! If he beats us to those parks, it's YOUR FAULT! LOL
            (Mike, The Outlaw here is my DH. 20 Years sez I can yell at him whenever I want! ;-D )

            Can't believe Peeve called you "Officer Belvin" ... you have to forgive him, he's practicing for the courtroom! ;-D

            Candy Lind    candylind@...
            I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
            Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 7:01 AM
            Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Introduction

            ... I would be very interested in learning about any uncached parks in the Austin area. My wife and I have a cache series named YAPIDKA, which is short for Yet Another Park I Didn't Know About. It would be nice to add some to the series.
            Welcome to Geocaching, I hope to see you on the trail, and thank you for offering your services.

            Wayne

          • Dan Miner
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
              Welcome Mike! It's great for you to introduce yourself to our
              group and it's good to know we now have someone to go to for
              our questions.

              RE: YAPIDKA...
              A side-note to other cachers - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't put
              a cache in my little neighborhood park in Scofield Farms (NE of
              Metric and Parmer). I have a cache idea for it and I don't
              want to get caught in the geocaching.com rule about having
              caches too close together. I claim the tiny park as "mine". :-)

              - Dan Miner (WhiteShark)

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                We met Mike on the 360/Barton Creek parking lot. Knows a lot about
                all of the parks and I hope we interest him in participating in the
                message group and some of the events. Real nice guy.

                Aggie and Teasip
                bkrich@...

                - In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_belvin"

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003

                  Oops, that did sound a bit too much like something Eddie Haskell would say, didn’t it? It was more the many experiences of getting pulled over for traffic violations than  me practicing for the courtroom that lead to me sounding like a dork. J

                  Again, good to have you here, Mike.

                  Regards,

                  Citizen Seay (AKA Citizen Peeve)

                  OK, Wayne, now you went and got him thinking! If he beats us to those parks, it's YOUR FAULT! LOL

                  (Mike, The Outlaw here is my DH. 20 Years sez I can yell at him whenever I want! ;-D )

                  Can't believe Peeve called you "Officer Belvin" ... you have to forgive him, he's practicing for the courtroom! ;-D

                   .

                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Nice to meet you Officer Mike!  As far as stupidity goes... does going after a Mr. Potato Head, in the dark in a park count (ok it was 1am in Sunset Valley), ?   Had our run in with authorities last week.  All the officer could do was chuckle and shake his head... and then followed it up with.... " I have never, in my 10 years of duty have heard of this!"   ( we even made Mr. Spud talk for him)  ... hmm
                    -Tropical Diva

                    <MBSeay@P...> wrote:
                    > Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
                    > McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)
                    >
                    > In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer
                    Belvin. I'm
                    > sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the
                    Austin
                    > area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly
                    those
                    > that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that
                    the vast
                    > majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so
                    that
                    > we don't increase the workload for you guys.
                    >
                    > You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
                    > thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so
                    late
                    > that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.
                    >
                    > Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of
                    cyberspace.
                    > I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
                    > receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to
                    show you
                    > around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has
                    lead
                    > you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Mike "Peeve" Seay

                  • Mike Seay
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003

                      Ah, THAT was my question that I forgot last night.  How strictly are park curfews enforced? Are they mainly there to have an excuse to boot out “revelers”, or would you ticket / yell at an average every day geocacher up to no harm?

                      I’m sure if you guys would ticket, it’s primarily for safety reasons. Therefore, my second question – are there any parks out there where our chances of getting accosted at night by Bad People are significantly higher than other parks? I.e. Any parks we should absolutely, positively stay away from at night? Go off the beaten trail just a but in Travis park along Town Lake, and I get totally creeped out. And I found a hypodermic (drug needle) out in the woods in Eastwoods park. So clearly, some parks are a little sketchier than others. Anything outside of downtown we should worry about?

                      Note to my fellow Mr. hot potato head players – question was NOT asked for strategic purposes for the game! But now that I think about it,  it does raise interesting strategic possibilities. Be on the lookout for my 3/3 “homeless camp cache,” Yuppies! Mr, Potato Head will be arriving there at approximately 9:00 pm. Careful where you step. Just kiddin.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                        Mike,

                        That was the officer's warning to us..... that there were occasional homless people out there at night and it could be dangerous.  Common sense I guess and something I had not thought of... otherwise.. I might have thought twice.........   naaaaaa Mr Spud had to be got!   HOWEVER, I would NEVER do it alone!!!

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                          As far as citations go..If we catch you in the park after 10pm you
                          MAY get a citation but most of us old timers would only check you
                          out and advise you to be carefull. You would be amazed what we find
                          after dark. But I cant say what the rookies would do.
                          As far as the "urban campers" I would only worry about the remote
                          parks and the areas that arent well used.(Barton Creek Greenbelt is
                          a good example). Most of them try to avoid contact with us and park
                          users.
                          As for the drug needle...not that unusual for any park if you look
                          hard enough..I even found an old cache that was commandered and had
                          20 needles and heroin in it.

                        • Megindler@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                            Of course someone should worry about us, but not for legal reasons! ;o) And really stupid is a relative term....I for one have forgotten to mark my car as a waypoint and have had to resort to some fairly stupid (wandering around aimlessly)behavior. I'm sure I'm the only one though.

                            Big Mo
                          • Megindler@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                              Please no one use the word "perp"!!
                            • puerto_rican_jew2003
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 4, 2008
                                Hi Ya'll,
                                Some of you may have seen a couple of new names on your logs. I
                                thought I would sign up and send off an introduction to the cache
                                community here.
                                My wife, had seen an article on this sport sometime ago and suggested
                                that we try it. So, on July 19th, for here birthday, I took here out
                                caching.
                                We found a few of the local caches here in Seguin and were hooked
                                right away.
                                We have begun venturing out away from Seguin and have found some very
                                cleaver hides already.
                                We haven't placed any hides yet, as we wanted to get the feel for what
                                was right, but the wheels are already turning. So, I'm sure that it
                                won't be long and you have some new caches to plunder.
                                I'm sure that as our schedule allows we will surely join in some of
                                the events that go on around here, and look forward to meeting our
                                fellow addicts.

                                Cache on,
                                Puerto Rican Jew and Plug
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 4, 2008
                                  Welcome!
                                  Intriguing handle!

                                  To paraphrase the great Obi Wan, "You've taken your first steps into a
                                  new journey."
                                  [Or something like ... damn brain, it knew the line two minutes ago. Too
                                  much August caching, I think some circuits are melted.]

                                  Anyways. Welcome and welcome!

                                  Tygress/BarbJ

                                  On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 03:50:22 -0000 "puerto_rican_jew2003"
                                  <puertoricanjew@...> writes:
                                  > Hi Ya'll,
                                  > Some of you may have seen a couple of new names on your logs. I
                                  > thought I would sign up and send off an introduction to the cache
                                  > community here.
                                  > My wife, had seen an article on this sport sometime ago and
                                  > suggested
                                  > that we try it. So, on July 19th, for here birthday, I took here
                                  > out
                                  > caching.
                                  > We found a few of the local caches here in Seguin and were hooked
                                  > right away.
                                  > We have begun venturing out away from Seguin and have found some
                                  > very
                                  > cleaver hides already.
                                  > We haven't placed any hides yet, as we wanted to get the feel for
                                  > what
                                  > was right, but the wheels are already turning. So, I'm sure that it
                                  > won't be long and you have some new caches to plunder.
                                  > I'm sure that as our schedule allows we will surely join in some of
                                  > the events that go on around here, and look forward to meeting our
                                  > fellow addicts.
                                  >
                                  > Cache on,
                                  > Puerto Rican Jew and Plug

                                  Get help now! Click to find the right drug rehab solution for you.
                                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nCeLRsQjZvbZHnwXWt9qi2Qn2ZqC8v1nGqCJMRrKVb5mbM2/
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008

                                    Hi!

                                    Welcome to Geocaching from the Waterweasel (from Round Rock).  See you at a hide!

                                    Russ the waterweasel

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                      We see you found our Kingsbury Aerodrome Cache out that way so welcome to the addiction with the rest of us. Once this heat is gone we will hopefully get back into the groove and start doing some more caching but for now the 100 plus degrees on the thermometer outside is keeping me in the air conditioning.

                                      Paparazzi Pete of PetenMike and Wanakenagirl

[...]

                                    • electric_water_boy
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                        "Once this heat is gone we will hopefully get back into the groove and
                                        start doing some more caching but for now the 100 plus degrees on the
                                        thermometer outside is keeping me in the air conditioning.
                                        Paparazzi Pete of PetenMike and Wanakenagirl"

                                        That's my plan too, except I haven't stuck to the plan. I keep going
                                        out in the heat and working through it. Take LOTS of water and go
                                        through all of it.

                                        When it gets too cold I'll probably be saying the same junk, and then
                                        putting on 15 layers of clothes and going out anyway.

                                        Yep, I'm nuts. But at least I know it!
                                      • Doc
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                          Yep, I got 73 over last weekend...  all day Saturday and Sunday...  just leave the A/C on max and the engine running...   mostly PnG's....

                                          Barry

                                        • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                            Ummmm where are you caching that it's that cold? It's Central Texas. Winter lasts 3 days! ha ha ha

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 6, 2008
                                              I live in South Texas for a reason. Cold to me is when it gets below
                                              70. Freezing starts around 60.

                                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@... wrote:

                                              > Ummmm where are you caching that it's that cold? It's Central
                                              Texas. Winter
                                              > lasts 3 days! ha ha ha
                                              >

                                              > In a message dated 8/5/2008 11:19:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                              > electric_water_boy@... writes:
                                              >
                                              > When it gets too cold I'll probably be saying the same junk, and
                                              then
                                              > putting on 15 layers of clothes and going out anyway.
                                              >

                                              > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
                                              budget?
                                              > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
                                              > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
                                              ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

                                            • Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Gabriel and P
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                Congrats Mike on 2K! And the places you've been to find those caches is amazing!
                                                Nick, I'll never forget when we first met you at Julie's 3K event and you beat me on that crazy race!  Good luck and just think of all the new caches you'll have to find!

                                                Penny
                                                cpnowak

                                                Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 9:50 AM
                                                Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: The Heat

                                                I live in South Texas for a reason. Cold to me is when it gets below
                                                70. Freezing starts around 60.

                                                --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, jestrrrulz@. .. wrote:

                                                > Ummmm where are you caching that it's that cold? It's Central
                                                Texas. Winter
                                                > lasts 3 days! ha ha ha
                                                >

                                                > In a message dated 8/5/2008 11:19:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                                > electric_water_ boy@... writes:
                                                >
                                                > When it gets too cold I'll probably be saying the same junk, and
                                                then
                                                > putting on 15 layers of clothes and going out anyway.
                                                >

                                                > ************ **Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
                                                budget?
                                                > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
                                                > (http://autos. aol.com/cars- BMW-128-2008/ expert-review?
                                                ncid=aolaut00050000 000017 )

                                              • Andrew Young
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 22, 2009
                                                  Hi,

                                                  My name is Andrew Young. I'm relatively new to geocaching, but am
                                                  having a great time with it. I lead a Camp Fire USA club in central
                                                  Austin composed of kids in the 5-7 year old range, and we go
                                                  geocaching on our campouts. I also plan and lead the two annual
                                                  campouts held by Camp Fire USA Balcones Council. The council's annual
                                                  Spring Campout is coming up this weekend at Pedernales Falls State
                                                  Park, and as part of the scheduled activities we're going to be
                                                  placing a new cache in the park. I already have a container, a log
                                                  book, a pen, and the necessary permit for placing a cache in a Texas
                                                  State Park. However, I don't have any of the "Official Geocache"
                                                  stickers for the side of the container, and I don't have time to get
                                                  one before this weekend. If anyone in town has one that I can
                                                  purchase from them, I would be greatful! If not I'll just have to
                                                  improvise something. :) I'll be sure to post pics of the kids working
                                                  on the cache and the link to the cache page once I get it up on
                                                  geocaching.com, in case any of you will be out at Pedernales soon.

                                                  Thanks,
                                                  Andrew Young