Introduction

  • michael_belvin
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 4, 2003
      Greetings:
      My name is Mike Belvin and I am an Austin Park Police Officer who
      is also one of our enviromental officers.
      Although I am not a geocacher per se I an familiar with it and
      would like to offer myself as a contact if needed.
      (Yes I am wearing flame retardant long johns so have at it.)
      If you see any problems that need to be taken care of (suspicious
      activity,safety problems,dumps ect) please feel free to contact me
      direct and I will do what I can to solve them.
      I would be more than happy to answer any questions as far as park
      policy,city ordinances,park rules,who to contact or just general
      park questions
      I would also like to thank the geocachers in this area for not
      causing the problems I am hearing about from other agencies both
      local and national.
      You may contact me if needed by the following methods.

      City e-mail: mike.belvin@...
      personal e-mail: mbelvin@...
      Park Police office phone: 974-7707
      city pager: 802-7923
      home phone: ask nicely

      By the way I do know of a couple of nice parks no ones using yet:)
      Again if I can be of any help dont hesitate to contact me.
    • Mike Seay
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
        Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
        McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)

        In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer Belvin. I'm
        sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the Austin
        area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly those
        that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that the vast
        majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so that
        we don't increase the workload for you guys.

        You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
        thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so late
        that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.

        Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of cyberspace.
        I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
        receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to show you
        around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has lead
        you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!

        Regards,

        Mike "Peeve" Seay

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
          Oh But I do carry a GPSr.. a Magellan Meridian Platnum with a 40mb
          street map and a 40mb topo map..My backup unit is a Garmin Legend.
          So if you ever see a cop wondering around with a GPSr its more than
          likely me..
          BTW most common question I get from other cops is "Who are those
          people walking in circles with a gps and do we need to worry about
          them ?" my usual answer is "High tech hide and seek and not unless
          theyre doing something really stupid or unlawfull" fortunately there
          is very little of that so far.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Seay"
          <MBSeay@P...> wrote:
          > Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
          > McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)
          >
          > In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer
          Belvin. I'm
          > sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the
          Austin
          > area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly
          those
          > that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that
          the vast
          > majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so
          that
          > we don't increase the workload for you guys.
          >
          > You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
          > thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so
          late
          > that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.
          >
          > Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of
          cyberspace.
          > I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
          > receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to
          show you
          > around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has
          lead
          > you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Mike "Peeve" Seay

        • Wayne Lind
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
            Hi Mike. I sure could have used you about two weeks ago. While heading for a cache out in the Barton Creek Greenbelt, Trey and I stumbled on a backpack which had apparently been stolen and taken out there to ransack. The contents were scattered all over in the area. Luckily, it had a wallet with a persons drivers license. We stuffed the contents back into the backpack and gave it to an Austin police officer after leaving the greenbelt. If they record 311 calls, you may want to retrieve the tape of me trying to explain GPSr technology to the 311 operator. The poor lady's eyes may still be glazed over. Anyway, I waypointed the site and gave her the coordinates.

            I would be very interested in learning about any uncached parks in the Austin area. My wife and I have a cache series named YAPIDKA, which is short for Yet Another Park I Didn't Know About. It would be nice to add some to the series.
            Welcome to Geocaching, I hope to see you on the trail, and thank you for offering your services.

            Wayne

            <MBSeay@P...> wrote:
            > Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
            > McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)
            >
            > In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer
            Belvin. I'm
            > sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the
            Austin
            > area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly
            those
            > that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that
            the vast
            > majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so
            that
            > we don't increase the workload for you guys.
            >
            > You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
            > thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so
            late
            > that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.
            >
            > Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of
            cyberspace.
            > I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
            > receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to
            show you
            > around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has
            lead
            > you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Mike "Peeve" Seay

          • Candy Lind
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
              OK, Wayne, now you went and got him thinking! If he beats us to those parks, it's YOUR FAULT! LOL
              (Mike, The Outlaw here is my DH. 20 Years sez I can yell at him whenever I want! ;-D )

              Can't believe Peeve called you "Officer Belvin" ... you have to forgive him, he's practicing for the courtroom! ;-D

              Candy Lind    candylind@...
              I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
              Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 7:01 AM
              Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Introduction

              ... I would be very interested in learning about any uncached parks in the Austin area. My wife and I have a cache series named YAPIDKA, which is short for Yet Another Park I Didn't Know About. It would be nice to add some to the series.
              Welcome to Geocaching, I hope to see you on the trail, and thank you for offering your services.

              Wayne

            • Dan Miner
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                Welcome Mike! It's great for you to introduce yourself to our
                group and it's good to know we now have someone to go to for
                our questions.

                RE: YAPIDKA...
                A side-note to other cachers - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't put
                a cache in my little neighborhood park in Scofield Farms (NE of
                Metric and Parmer). I have a cache idea for it and I don't
                want to get caught in the geocaching.com rule about having
                caches too close together. I claim the tiny park as "mine". :-)

                - Dan Miner (WhiteShark)

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                  We met Mike on the 360/Barton Creek parking lot. Knows a lot about
                  all of the parks and I hope we interest him in participating in the
                  message group and some of the events. Real nice guy.

                  Aggie and Teasip
                  bkrich@...

                  - In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "michael_belvin"

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003

                    Oops, that did sound a bit too much like something Eddie Haskell would say, didn’t it? It was more the many experiences of getting pulled over for traffic violations than  me practicing for the courtroom that lead to me sounding like a dork. J

                    Again, good to have you here, Mike.

                    Regards,

                    Citizen Seay (AKA Citizen Peeve)

                    OK, Wayne, now you went and got him thinking! If he beats us to those parks, it's YOUR FAULT! LOL

                    (Mike, The Outlaw here is my DH. 20 Years sez I can yell at him whenever I want! ;-D )

                    Can't believe Peeve called you "Officer Belvin" ... you have to forgive him, he's practicing for the courtroom! ;-D

                     .

                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Nice to meet you Officer Mike!  As far as stupidity goes... does going after a Mr. Potato Head, in the dark in a park count (ok it was 1am in Sunset Valley), ?   Had our run in with authorities last week.  All the officer could do was chuckle and shake his head... and then followed it up with.... " I have never, in my 10 years of duty have heard of this!"   ( we even made Mr. Spud talk for him)  ... hmm
                      -Tropical Diva

                      <MBSeay@P...> wrote:
                      > Look out, it's the fuzz! Quick! Hide the Tupperware! Flush the
                      > McDonald's Toys down the toilet! :-)
                      >
                      > In all seriousness, thanks for introducing yourself, Officer
                      Belvin. I'm
                      > sure most of the Austin geocaching community would agree that the
                      Austin
                      > area land managers have worked wonderfully with us, particularly
                      those
                      > that manage and monitor the Austin City Parks. I'm certain that
                      the vast
                      > majority of us will do all that we can to self-police ourselves so
                      that
                      > we don't increase the workload for you guys.
                      >
                      > You are also very kind to offer yourself as a contact. Earlier, I
                      > thought of a few questions that I wanted to ask, but now it's so
                      late
                      > that I've forgotten them. They'll come back.
                      >
                      > Anyway, thanks again, and welcome to our little corner of
                      cyberspace.
                      > I'm certain that if you ever feel like getting out there with GPS
                      > receiver in hand, there are many of us here that would love to
                      show you
                      > around to our favorite caches. I have no doubt that your job has
                      lead
                      > you to learn of some killer spots to place a cache, as well!
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Mike "Peeve" Seay

                    • Mike Seay
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003

                        Ah, THAT was my question that I forgot last night.  How strictly are park curfews enforced? Are they mainly there to have an excuse to boot out “revelers”, or would you ticket / yell at an average every day geocacher up to no harm?

                        I’m sure if you guys would ticket, it’s primarily for safety reasons. Therefore, my second question – are there any parks out there where our chances of getting accosted at night by Bad People are significantly higher than other parks? I.e. Any parks we should absolutely, positively stay away from at night? Go off the beaten trail just a but in Travis park along Town Lake, and I get totally creeped out. And I found a hypodermic (drug needle) out in the woods in Eastwoods park. So clearly, some parks are a little sketchier than others. Anything outside of downtown we should worry about?

                        Note to my fellow Mr. hot potato head players – question was NOT asked for strategic purposes for the game! But now that I think about it,  it does raise interesting strategic possibilities. Be on the lookout for my 3/3 “homeless camp cache,” Yuppies! Mr, Potato Head will be arriving there at approximately 9:00 pm. Careful where you step. Just kiddin.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                          Mike,

                          That was the officer's warning to us..... that there were occasional homless people out there at night and it could be dangerous.  Common sense I guess and something I had not thought of... otherwise.. I might have thought twice.........   naaaaaa Mr Spud had to be got!   HOWEVER, I would NEVER do it alone!!!

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                            As far as citations go..If we catch you in the park after 10pm you
                            MAY get a citation but most of us old timers would only check you
                            out and advise you to be carefull. You would be amazed what we find
                            after dark. But I cant say what the rookies would do.
                            As far as the "urban campers" I would only worry about the remote
                            parks and the areas that arent well used.(Barton Creek Greenbelt is
                            a good example). Most of them try to avoid contact with us and park
                            users.
                            As for the drug needle...not that unusual for any park if you look
                            hard enough..I even found an old cache that was commandered and had
                            20 needles and heroin in it.

                          • Megindler@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                              Of course someone should worry about us, but not for legal reasons! ;o) And really stupid is a relative term....I for one have forgotten to mark my car as a waypoint and have had to resort to some fairly stupid (wandering around aimlessly)behavior. I'm sure I'm the only one though.

                              Big Mo
                            • Megindler@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 5, 2003
                                Please no one use the word "perp"!!
                              • puerto_rican_jew2003
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 4, 2008
                                  Hi Ya'll,
                                  Some of you may have seen a couple of new names on your logs. I
                                  thought I would sign up and send off an introduction to the cache
                                  community here.
                                  My wife, had seen an article on this sport sometime ago and suggested
                                  that we try it. So, on July 19th, for here birthday, I took here out
                                  caching.
                                  We found a few of the local caches here in Seguin and were hooked
                                  right away.
                                  We have begun venturing out away from Seguin and have found some very
                                  cleaver hides already.
                                  We haven't placed any hides yet, as we wanted to get the feel for what
                                  was right, but the wheels are already turning. So, I'm sure that it
                                  won't be long and you have some new caches to plunder.
                                  I'm sure that as our schedule allows we will surely join in some of
                                  the events that go on around here, and look forward to meeting our
                                  fellow addicts.

                                  Cache on,
                                  Puerto Rican Jew and Plug
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 4, 2008
                                    Welcome!
                                    Intriguing handle!

                                    To paraphrase the great Obi Wan, "You've taken your first steps into a
                                    new journey."
                                    [Or something like ... damn brain, it knew the line two minutes ago. Too
                                    much August caching, I think some circuits are melted.]

                                    Anyways. Welcome and welcome!

                                    Tygress/BarbJ

                                    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 03:50:22 -0000 "puerto_rican_jew2003"
                                    <puertoricanjew@...> writes:
                                    > Hi Ya'll,
                                    > Some of you may have seen a couple of new names on your logs. I
                                    > thought I would sign up and send off an introduction to the cache
                                    > community here.
                                    > My wife, had seen an article on this sport sometime ago and
                                    > suggested
                                    > that we try it. So, on July 19th, for here birthday, I took here
                                    > out
                                    > caching.
                                    > We found a few of the local caches here in Seguin and were hooked
                                    > right away.
                                    > We have begun venturing out away from Seguin and have found some
                                    > very
                                    > cleaver hides already.
                                    > We haven't placed any hides yet, as we wanted to get the feel for
                                    > what
                                    > was right, but the wheels are already turning. So, I'm sure that it
                                    > won't be long and you have some new caches to plunder.
                                    > I'm sure that as our schedule allows we will surely join in some of
                                    > the events that go on around here, and look forward to meeting our
                                    > fellow addicts.
                                    >
                                    > Cache on,
                                    > Puerto Rican Jew and Plug

                                    Get help now! Click to find the right drug rehab solution for you.
                                    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nCeLRsQjZvbZHnwXWt9qi2Qn2ZqC8v1nGqCJMRrKVb5mbM2/
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008

                                      Hi!

                                      Welcome to Geocaching from the Waterweasel (from Round Rock).  See you at a hide!

                                      Russ the waterweasel

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                        We see you found our Kingsbury Aerodrome Cache out that way so welcome to the addiction with the rest of us. Once this heat is gone we will hopefully get back into the groove and start doing some more caching but for now the 100 plus degrees on the thermometer outside is keeping me in the air conditioning.

                                        Paparazzi Pete of PetenMike and Wanakenagirl

[...]

                                      • electric_water_boy
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                          "Once this heat is gone we will hopefully get back into the groove and
                                          start doing some more caching but for now the 100 plus degrees on the
                                          thermometer outside is keeping me in the air conditioning.
                                          Paparazzi Pete of PetenMike and Wanakenagirl"

                                          That's my plan too, except I haven't stuck to the plan. I keep going
                                          out in the heat and working through it. Take LOTS of water and go
                                          through all of it.

                                          When it gets too cold I'll probably be saying the same junk, and then
                                          putting on 15 layers of clothes and going out anyway.

                                          Yep, I'm nuts. But at least I know it!
                                        • Doc
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                            Yep, I got 73 over last weekend...  all day Saturday and Sunday...  just leave the A/C on max and the engine running...   mostly PnG's....

                                            Barry

                                          • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                              Ummmm where are you caching that it's that cold? It's Central Texas. Winter lasts 3 days! ha ha ha

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                I live in South Texas for a reason. Cold to me is when it gets below
                                                70. Freezing starts around 60.

                                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@... wrote:

                                                > Ummmm where are you caching that it's that cold? It's Central
                                                Texas. Winter
                                                > lasts 3 days! ha ha ha
                                                >

                                                > In a message dated 8/5/2008 11:19:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                                > electric_water_boy@... writes:
                                                >
                                                > When it gets too cold I'll probably be saying the same junk, and
                                                then
                                                > putting on 15 layers of clothes and going out anyway.
                                                >

                                                > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
                                                budget?
                                                > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
                                                > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
                                                ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

                                              • Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Gabriel and P
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                  Congrats Mike on 2K! And the places you've been to find those caches is amazing!
                                                  Nick, I'll never forget when we first met you at Julie's 3K event and you beat me on that crazy race!  Good luck and just think of all the new caches you'll have to find!

                                                  Penny
                                                  cpnowak

                                                  Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 9:50 AM
                                                  Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: The Heat

                                                  I live in South Texas for a reason. Cold to me is when it gets below
                                                  70. Freezing starts around 60.

                                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, jestrrrulz@. .. wrote:

                                                  > Ummmm where are you caching that it's that cold? It's Central
                                                  Texas. Winter
                                                  > lasts 3 days! ha ha ha
                                                  >

                                                  > In a message dated 8/5/2008 11:19:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                                  > electric_water_ boy@... writes:
                                                  >
                                                  > When it gets too cold I'll probably be saying the same junk, and
                                                  then
                                                  > putting on 15 layers of clothes and going out anyway.
                                                  >

                                                  > ************ **Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
                                                  budget?
                                                  > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
                                                  > (http://autos. aol.com/cars- BMW-128-2008/ expert-review?
                                                  ncid=aolaut00050000 000017 )

                                                • Andrew Young
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 22 5:04 PM
                                                    Hi,

                                                    My name is Andrew Young. I'm relatively new to geocaching, but am
                                                    having a great time with it. I lead a Camp Fire USA club in central
                                                    Austin composed of kids in the 5-7 year old range, and we go
                                                    geocaching on our campouts. I also plan and lead the two annual
                                                    campouts held by Camp Fire USA Balcones Council. The council's annual
                                                    Spring Campout is coming up this weekend at Pedernales Falls State
                                                    Park, and as part of the scheduled activities we're going to be
                                                    placing a new cache in the park. I already have a container, a log
                                                    book, a pen, and the necessary permit for placing a cache in a Texas
                                                    State Park. However, I don't have any of the "Official Geocache"
                                                    stickers for the side of the container, and I don't have time to get
                                                    one before this weekend. If anyone in town has one that I can
                                                    purchase from them, I would be greatful! If not I'll just have to
                                                    improvise something. :) I'll be sure to post pics of the kids working
                                                    on the cache and the link to the cache page once I get it up on
                                                    geocaching.com, in case any of you will be out at Pedernales soon.

                                                    Thanks,
                                                    Andrew Young