Re: Shot in the Dark - China maps

  • arnaud.geo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      Jeri,

      Depending on where you are going (beijing, shanghai), you may be be able to find free maps on OpenStreetMaps. These are user generated (kind of wikipedia of maps) so they can be hit or miss. I found them to be pretty good in Beijing.

      On the iPhone, the application OffMaps allows to cache locally the titles of OpenStreetMaps, so you can have offline maps that work with the iPhone GPS while in the country.

      I believe there is a way to transform these maps and also load them on a GPSr but I am not familiar with this.

      Arnaud - SoaringEagle

    • jestrrrulz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
        Arnaud -

        You rock. Thanks. I will explore and see what I can find on these sites. Thanks for the resource.

        Jeri/JestrRulz

        In a message dated 1/3/2010 9:06:26 P.M. Central Standard Time, arnaud@... writes:
        Depending on where you are going (beijing, shanghai), you may be be able to find free maps on OpenStreetMaps. These are user generated (kind of wikipedia of maps) so they can be hit or miss. I found them to be pretty good in Beijing.

        On the iPhone, the application OffMaps allows to cache locally the titles of OpenStreetMaps, so you can have offline maps that work with the iPhone GPS while in the country.
      • Carlin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
          Thanks Arnaud,

          This is great resource for me too!