Re: New to Geocaching

  • Victor Engel
    Message 1 of 46 , Jan 2, 2010
      Well, it looks like I was right. My entry was inactivated with this explanation:

      "This doesn't seem like a geocaching event. Events have specific times
      for people to meet and some sort of agenda."

      I thought it had both: the time being the equinox, and the event being
      observing the equinox. I amended the entry to include a more specific
      time: astronomical noon.

      Victor

      On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > I'm new to geocaching. I just received a handheld GPS unit today and
      > have been figuring it out. Meanwhile, I've entered an event geocache
      > at geocaching.com. I expect I may have left one or two things out,
      > since I'm new and will be informed that I need to make some changes.
      > If not, though, it should appear whenever the moderators approve it.
      >
      > My first geocache is really just something to look at. Best viewing is
      > on the spring equinox, which is why I've made it an event geocache.
      >
      > ... which gets me to the point of this email (other than to introduce myself)
      >
      > What do folks normally use for log books? What do geocachers expect to
      > be able to do when they find the cache? Finally, would you recommend
      > any specific caches around Austin for a newbie?
      >
      > Victor

    • Jay
      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 5, 2010
        Victor,

        I am fairly new to geocaching myself, I have yet to place a cache myself, but I have thought about doing so since I was introduced to this obsession even more so of late. So I have been interested to read what others have written about the process as well as the procedure. I just finished reading an article which reminded me of your questions and I thought that it might be informative for you.  The article is:  Elements of Style in Geocaching  which is found at geocacher-u.com under the geocaching 201 section. Perhaps some of the information in it will help you determine how to create the cache that you want to create.
        In fact geocacher-u has some very good information that I wish some one had pointed me to months ago.

        Jay / BingOGT