Any police encounter stories?

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2009
      Do police you've encountered tend to know about geocaching or not? How do they react if not? Have you ever been seriously questioned (you looked very suspicious in the wrong place at the wrong time?)

      Opalblade/Laura
    • electric_water_boy
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2009
        I've been stopped a few times.

        1. A group of three of us were in Helotes. The officer thought we looked suspicious until he saw the GPSrs. Then he wanted to know if we found the cache. He too was a cacher.

        2. Had Selma's finest checking out my truck at Selma Stage Stop as I was walking back to it. They thought it may have been abandoned (I wish, but not there...). Told them what I was doing. Next time I was at Selma Stage Stop looking for it the officer smiled and asked if I found it.

        3. CADrake and I were stopped by an officer because of where we had been parked (in NE San Antonio). HE thought we were suspicious. The Colorado and Oregon made explaining a lot easier. Another officer joined him and they watched us a while, but they left just before we found the cache.

        4. We were lit up in Spring Branch. Uh oh.... Told him what we were doing. He was just concerned we weren't pulled of the road enough. The nice young officer smiled and sent us on our way.

        5. Got lit up in Selma after finding a cache. He wanted to get me for speeding but couldn't because his radar wasn't on, so he got me for a "Hollywood Stop." I got to be a thug on probabtion a for a while... At least I found the cache...

      • engelwaffen@suddenlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2009
          There was a cache in Pampa Tx that resulted in a Kansas cacher getting set on by a police dog.  Didn't end well, cache was archived.

          don/amishangel
          Do police you've encountered tend to know about geocaching or not? How do they react if not? Have you ever been seriously questioned (you looked very suspicious in the wrong place at the wrong time?)

          Opalblade/Laura

        • Nancy Lee
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2009
            Once in Houston I was behind a McDonald's and a cop car drove up and was watching.  He said to move away you messed with the lock and you aren't supposed to be here.  I told him I was geocaching, but he didn't believe me.  "Ok  I'm leaving,"  I replied.  He said that's a good idea.
            nanblocker/Nancy