Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] darpa red balloon challenge

  • gumbietygress
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009

      On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:48:11 -0600 "Cybercat" <cybercat@...> writes:

      I guess everyone has noticed that Groundspeak found 8 of the 10 balloons from the DARPA challenge yesterday.  The Groundspeak webpage said that those were all found by on-site geocachers.  Now, MIT found all 10 of them..........does anyone know how they did that ?
      Or do you have any idea of how any group would find those 10 balloons without legions of people in each state looking for them and then reporting to a central contact? I figured GC had it in the bag!!  HOW do you think MIT did it? Comments?  Thoughts?
      Jana

      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@

      MIT Alumni... Techie Alumni ... they're *all* HiDudes.
      We did pretty good against those guys, I'd say.

      BarbJ/Tygress

      Nutrition

    • Cybercat
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
        But HOW?  I know they are smart people, but HOW do you find a balloon in Miami if you are sitting behind a computer in Massachusetts?

        @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

        MIT Alumni... Techie Alumni ... they're *all* HiDudes.
        We did pretty good against those guys, I'd say.

        BarbJ/Tygress

        Nutrition

      • FoxFireX
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
          Pretty simple. They paid people off. Their whole plan was "whoever submits the correct coordinates for a balloon first gets a cut of the prize money". They then added, "If you recruit someone and they get money, you get money too". So, people have incentive to submit coordinates to MIT so they can get a payout, and have incentive to get OTHER people to sign up and submit so they can get a payout that way as well.

          One of the things about this challenge is that nothing stops folks from "being" on multiple teams. If I found a balloon, I certainly would have sent it to Groundspeak, but maybe I would have sent it to MIT as well, since I might have been able to cash in to the tune of $2000. DARPA's intent was to figure out how to organize folks for tasks like this, and the first answer appears to be "pay them". :)

          --
          Roger (FoxFireX)

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
            Besides, Alumni are all over the place. STUDENTS are in MA.

            On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 22:53:08 -0000 "FoxFireX" <foxfirex@...>
            writes:
            > Pretty simple. They paid people off. Their whole plan was "whoever
            > submits the correct coordinates for a balloon first gets a cut of
            > the prize money". They then added, "If you recruit someone and they
            > get money, you get money too". So, people have incentive to submit
            > coordinates to MIT so they can get a payout, and have incentive to
            > get OTHER people to sign up and submit so they can get a payout that
            > way as well.
            >
            > One of the things about this challenge is that nothing stops folks
            > from "being" on multiple teams. If I found a balloon, I certainly
            > would have sent it to Groundspeak, but maybe I would have sent it to
            > MIT as well, since I might have been able to cash in to the tune of
            > $2000. DARPA's intent was to figure out how to organize folks for
            > tasks like this, and the first answer appears to be "pay them". :)
            >
            > --
            > Roger (FoxFireX)
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Cybercat"
            > <cybercat@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > But HOW? I know they are smart people, but HOW do you find a
            > balloon in Miami if you are sitting behind a computer in
            > Massachusetts?

            There is only so much you can do -- but you have to do that much.
            Garrison Keillor, News from Lake Woebegon 11/21/09
            Diet Help
            Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=s-4bGzSUDiOmUt--krxJUgAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=
          • Wayne Lind
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
              Is there a listing of where they all were?
              Besides, Alumni are all over the place. STUDENTS are in MA.

              @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @
              There is only so much you can do -- but you have to do that much.
              Garrison Keillor, News from Lake Woebegon 11/21/09
              Diet Help
              Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
              http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ c?cp=s-4bGzSUDiO mUt--krxJUgAAJ1C zOeYfqppcCgoUs_ mWjB7KAAYAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAADNAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AYQAAAAAA=

            • Dana Simmang
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
                This link shows a map of the locations:

                https://networkchallenge.darpa.mil/

                Dana
                aggiemd91

                @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
                  there's a link on the main GC page that describes what happened with the geocaching search and then there's a link on that page that shows where all the balloons were
                  Jana

                  @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @
                  There is only so much you can do -- but you have to do that much.
                  Garrison Keillor, News from Lake Woebegon 11/21/09
                  Diet Help
                  Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
                  http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ c?cp=s-4bGzSUDiO mUt--krxJUgAAJ1C zOeYfqppcCgoUs_ mWjB7KAAYAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAADNAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AYQAAAAAA=

                • Maria "theJump"
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2009
                    You also have to consider, MIT planned for MONTHS for this competition while Groundspeak threw it's bid into the hat 3 days earlier ... if you ask me GEOCACHERS were the true winners :)

                    Not that I'm biased or anything ...

                    -Maria / TheJump