Cache Awards - sample ballot open for comment

  • geo_texas_gal
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      OK, I've put together a sample ballot - which I compiled by using
      the LA ballot as a base, and tweaking to fit us. If y'all have any
      comments or suggestions, let's discuss 'em on this list - and then I
      can open nominations on Friday...

      http://www.the-cache.com/vote/

      TG
    • AusGeoCache@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        The 20 mile limit excludes many of the caches on Lake Travis and Williamson County.  How about including caches in Travis and Williamson Counties?

        MHO

        Cache on,
        Dick Young
      • Essiar
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          About the rule that a cache must be active when voted upon... what
          if a cache is temporarily disabled at the time for maintenance,
          relocation, etc., does that disqualify it or are we speaking about
          archived caches? Also, along similar lines, since it wouldn't be
          currently active (as in findable) and there is no suitable category
          for it other than overall favorite, can a special event cache be
          voted for? :-)

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "geo_texas_gal"
          <texas-gal@d...> wrote:
          > OK, I've put together a sample ballot - which I compiled by using
          > the LA ballot as a base, and tweaking to fit us. If y'all have
          any
          > comments or suggestions, let's discuss 'em on this list - and then
          > can open nominations on Friday...
          >
          > http://www.the-cache.com/vote/
          >
          > TG
        • Cindy and/or Jim
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            At 12:15 AM 12/4/2003, you wrote:
            About the rule that a cache must be active when voted upon... what
            if a cache is temporarily disabled at the time for maintenance,
            relocation, etc., does that disqualify it or are we speaking about
            archived caches?

            I would think that it would mean all of those would be disqualified.  (Perhaps they look at it as incentive for disabled ones to get back up and running.)

            Also, along similar lines, since it wouldn't be
            currently active (as in findable) and there is no suitable category
            for it other than overall favorite, can a special event cache be
            voted for? :-)

            Or, perhaps, just a special events cache category.

            Also, would it make sense to either change the eligibility dates to "From December 1, 2002 to November 30, 2003" or hold off on starting the voting until January 1, 2004?

            Nice work on this, everyone.  Great idea, and well done putting the ball in motion so quickly.

            Cindy
            Team Jactar
          • Mike Seay
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003

              Nice page design!

              My comments:

              #2 - I agree with the earlier comment about expanding the radius for
              eligible caches -- at least to include Georgetown, Bastrop, Pedernales.
              Falls, and San Marcos. Would 40 miles from the capitol do it without
              being excessive?

              # 1rst #4 - This may be jumping the gun at this point, but I have a
              proposal for the FINAL vote (the current nominee selection rules appear
              fine to me.) My biggest issue with the L.A. voting rules (and most
              elections in general) is the lack of prevention of uninformed votes. Not
              much we can do about the Members of the Academy voting for the one movie
              they bothered to see, but here we have the logs to track who has done
              what cache. Therefore, I think we should consider limiting people to
              only being able to vote for a category if the voter has found a certain
              number of the nominated caches in that category (all? Half? Three
              Quarters?) This will also encourage folks to visit caches of a quality
              high enough to get nominated, so everyone's happy! Of course, this could
              be quite burdensome to enforce. But I'll volunteer to help. Or we could
              just go by the honors system.

              #5 - May want to drop the required number of nominators to 2. I guess we
              won't know until we see how many people vote vs. how many caches end up
              nominated for each category. I admit that I'm suggesting this out of
              self-interest, since only two people have finished the only cache I own.
              Needless to say, I will be lobbying those two pretty hard, and
              vigorously throwing around hints to whoever wants to attempt it before
              the end of the nominating period. ;-)

              #7 - Re: a cache only being nominated in its top 2 categories. An
              exception should be made for the Cacher's Choice Award. It wouldn't be
              right to get bumped from this category simply because the cache happens
              to be a very challenging (one category), puzzle (second category) cache,
              for instance.

              #8 - I suggest we push everything back. Nominations can be open from
              now until the end of January or so. Otherwise someone who placed a cache
              the afternoon of 12/31 won't get any nominations, but also will get
              blocked out of the 2004 awards since they placed in 2003. An additional
              month would allow folks to try out the December caches. If we decide to
              accept my proposal to only let folks vote for categories if they've
              found a certain number of the caches nominated, then the final vote
              probably shouldn't be until 1 or 2 months after the nominations close to
              give people time to get out there and try the caches that were
              nominated.

              CATEGORIES:

              I agree that there should be a category for event caches, despite the
              fact that I haven't attended any. They all SOUNDED like a lot of fun!

              Since the moratorium on virtuals (or at least virtuals that don't "Wow"
              people) do we have enough 2003 nominees to support this category?

              How about best benchmark of 2003? Oh. Waitaminute. ;-)

              MISC.

              We are going to have an awards dinner and ceremony, right? Black tie, of
              course. ;-) All kidding aside, it may be a good way to generate good
              press (that is, if we WANT press... I suppose more publicity could be a
              bad thing in some ways). I'm sure someone from the press would bite.

              Does anyone know of a way to pull a database of all the caches placed in
              2003? That would sure help to nominate.

              That's it for me! I'm excited -- this will hopefully remain a badass
              annual event.

              Thank you for your time.

              Mike
            • Mark Gessner
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                I think since this is the first year for the voting, that it should
                include all austin caches from all time, not just those placed this
                year.

                20 miles of downtown austin rules out some caches I consider to be
                austin caches (pedernales falls, etc). I'd widen it to include at
                least as far as pedernales falls s.p.

                To avoid hanging or dimpled chads, your ballot should specify for the
                vote to be valid that the voter enter in the correct waypoint ID from
                geocaching.com or navicache.com. (I'm assuming navicache-only caches
                are participating in the balloting as well?) Incorrectly entered
                waypoint IDs would be disqualified. Perhaps it would be possible to
                put a popup menu into the form, with all the austin caches listed, then
                you just select the cache from the popup. Makes it harder to enter
                incorrectly.

                Voter fraud... How do we verify that the person filling out the form
                is actually the person they claim to be in the username and email
                address fields? Can we capture the IP address of the computer filling
                out the form as an audit record in case there is a dispute?

                -mark.

                On Dec 3, 2003, at 11:05 PM, geo_texas_gal wrote:

                > OK, I've put together a sample ballot - which I compiled by using
                > the LA ballot as a base, and tweaking to fit us. If y'all have any
                > comments or suggestions, let's discuss 'em on this list - and then I
                > can open nominations on Friday...
              • Alex Alexander
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                  gal@d...> wrote:
                  > OK, I've put together a sample ballot - which I compiled by using
                  > the LA ballot as a base, and tweaking to fit us. If y'all have any
                  > comments or suggestions, let's discuss 'em on this list -

                  Seems OK apart from the radius being too small. 25 or 30 miles so as
                  to include Georgetown would be better.

                  Alex (&Kim)
                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                    I agree with Mark on all points in case your wondering, care or just
                    want to know. :-)

                    I think since this is the first year for the voting, that it should
                    include all austin caches from all time, not just those placed this
                    year.

                    20 miles of downtown austin rules out some caches I consider to be
                    austin caches (pedernales falls, etc). I'd widen it to include at
                    least as far as pedernales falls s.p.

                    To avoid hanging or dimpled chads, your ballot should specify for the
                    vote to be valid that the voter enter in the correct waypoint ID from
                    geocaching.com or navicache.com. (I'm assuming navicache-only caches
                    are participating in the balloting as well?) Incorrectly entered
                    waypoint IDs would be disqualified. Perhaps it would be possible to
                    put a popup menu into the form, with all the austin caches listed, then
                    you just select the cache from the popup. Makes it harder to enter
                    incorrectly.

                    Voter fraud... How do we verify that the person filling out the form
                    is actually the person they claim to be in the username and email
                    address fields? Can we capture the IP address of the computer filling
                    out the form as an audit record in case there is a dispute?

                    -mark.

                    On Dec 3, 2003, at 11:05 PM, geo_texas_gal wrote:

                    > OK, I've put together a sample ballot - which I compiled by using
                    > the LA ballot as a base, and tweaking to fit us. If y'all have any
                    > comments or suggestions, let's discuss 'em on this list - and then I
                    > can open nominations on Friday...

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Scott Robuck
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                      As for the radius from the capitol, I would use either 25 or 35 miles but
                      not 30, because 30 cuts right through both Bastrop and Pedernales parks.
                      Limiting it to 25 miles cuts out Georgetown, San Marcos, Pedernales, and
                      Bastrop which is fine by me. I agree with Mark that there are some great
                      caches in Pedernales but I just don’t really consider that to be part of the
                      "Austin Area". But, if you're going to include those, then make it 35
                      miles, not 30.

                      Thanks...

                      Scott Robuck
                      Team GeoDillo
                      N 30° 12.4'
                      W 97° 50.4'

                      This email is an all natural product. The slight variations in
                      spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
                      beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.