Re: Austin Cache Awards?

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
      I first saw something like this in another state where they actually
      award Cache of the Year for the state. One of the Carolinas I
      believe. I think it's a great idea to honor our local cachers for
      their hard work and creativity. Are you thinking of having several
      categories? However you do it, I'm all for it. Maybe we can get
      gc.com to fly you all over the world to select International Cache
      of the Year! :-)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "geo_texas_gal"
      <texas-gal@d...> wrote:
      > After seeing what several others have done - most recently L.A.
      > (http://tinyurl.com/xmz2 and http://tinyurl.com/xmz3)- I've been
      > thinking about doing something similar here in Austin.
      >
      > Personally, I'd love to know what caches my fellow Austinites
      think
      > are superstars, and I think it would be especially helpful for new
      > and out-of-town cachers. Plus, it's a small way to recognize the
      > creative/hard/interesting/educational caches out there, and all
      the
      > work that has gone into them. The winners would receive a graphic
      > to display on their cache pages, and I could make a website
      > featuring all the winners.
      >
      > What do y'all think? Is this something you'd be excited about
      > participating in?
    • Wayne Lind
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
        I also think it is a great idea. My problem is going to be deciding which one's should get my vote. Austin has some of the best caches (and cache hiders) I have seen. Of course, there could be some local bias involved.

        Wayne

        <texas-gal@d...> wrote:
        > After seeing what several others have done - most recently L.A.
        > (http://tinyurl.com/xmz2 and http://tinyurl.com/xmz3)- I've been
        > thinking about doing something similar here in Austin.
        >
        > Personally, I'd love to know what caches my fellow Austinites
        think
        > are superstars, and I think it would be especially helpful for new
        > and out-of-town cachers.  Plus, it's a small way to recognize the
        > creative/hard/interesting/educational caches out there, and all
        the
        > work that has gone into them.  The winners would receive a graphic
        > to display on their cache pages, and I could make a website
        > featuring all the winners.
        >
        > What do y'all think?  Is this something you'd be excited about
        > participating in?

      • Mike Seay
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
          I'm all for it! I've always found various people's top 10 lists useful
          -- an organized and concerted effort to have a "best of" award would be
          even more useful to unearth those hidden gems I may not have seen. And
          of course, it would be great for visitors.

          There are a few modifications I'd like to see made to L.A.'s voting
          system if we adopt something similar, but that can be discussed when
          things have progressed a bit further.

          Great idea!