Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] TxGCC Challenge - we finished!

  • Mrs. Captain Picard
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
      Wow!  That's so cool.  Does anyone know who was the FTF?  I guess since there isn't an official "final" we might never know.

      Cheers,

      On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM, emmy_n_sapphie <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

      We found McKinney Falls SP at 3:45pm today to officially finish the TxGCC! We found our first one (Washington on the Brazos) at 8:09am yesterady, so all total 31 hours and 36 minutes elasped between the first and last cache. We did them all during the daylight when the parks were officially open and we were home last night in time to watch The Amazing Race at 7pm, and we are home othis afternoon in time for me to leave for work in about 2 minutes. Still totally up the milage, but I think it will be around 700 miles. Definitely not an eco-friendly challenge but tons of fun.

      We had a blast. Surprisingly to some of you, Pat has a real competetive side. Once she heard about the challenge a week ago Sat, she started planning our strategy. The scenery in East Texas was beautiful, we stopped along the way to learning some interesting facts about the parks and take some great pictures - even did a little (very little) bit of birdwatching. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the last two days - no sense of rush or panic, just a lot of fun. I totally recommend the Challange - they did a great job setting it up, tthought the terrain ratings for the most part have no basis in reality. Some of the hardest terrains were listed as 1.5's and Huntsville was listed as a 3, and it was one of the easiest.

      Mary Beth
      (emmy-n-sapphie)

    • Barbara Dukette
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
        Congratulations!  I love the fact that you not only completed the challenge but had a great time to boot.  I hope to start chipping away at this series soon.  Heard you met some strange cachers on the trail ....
        Barbara (GiGi and JoJo)

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
          As of last night when Monument Park closed at 5pm, only Barry and we had logged that one (30 seconds apart). And at 4pm yesterday, only Barry & we had gotten the 2 at Lake Somerville. We didn't see anyone's name on all six of the the logs that we signed today. So unless a bunch of people went and found a lot of them today, then we were the first to finish because we didn't see Barry's name on the McKinney Falls one when we signed it at 3:45pm today (We both checked twice to see if his name was there  ) We almost had a disater though. When we were at Lockhart SP, we met a mom & her 3 kids who just happened to be in the park today & saw the info posted about the Challange at HQ's, picked up a passport, and used their car Nuvi to get close to GZ. When we got there, they had been hunting for a while. In all the helping them find the cache, telling them about GC.com which they had never heard about, etc, I put my almost completed Passport into the logbook ziplock. Luckily Pat spotted it before we got all the way to Bastrop. That would have set us back because I had to be home by 4:30 today to go to work.God bless Pat - she drove every single mile of that 700+ miles. She's so good to me it's scary.
          Mary Beth
          (emmy-n-sapphie)

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
            YOu have to be careful - there's real whackos out there

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
              That just reminds me of the motto NOV64 from Houston uses,

              "Silly boys, GPSs are for GIRLS!

              You ladies are AWESOME!

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
                That's amazing!

                Dana/aggiemd91

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
                  Congratulations!  Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.  Great to hear that you didn't feel rushed and enjoyed the days together and all the bird watching and such.  What an accomplishment, and what an Amazing Race!

                  Carlin

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
                    Looking at the logs, Bananapoo, LoneStar Luke n Leia, and ItsLoveInStereo beat us to McKinney Falls and went to Governement Canyon today and did 8 caches yesterday. So if they got to Monument Hill and Guadalupe River SP today and found their last cache before 3:45pm, they would have finished the challenge before us. Still waiting to see what they log for today. On the bright side, we finished with no injuries &  in high spirits. Pretty sure we will be in the top 100 for a coin.
                    Mary Beth
                    (emmy-n-sapphie

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
                      Doc Geo (and wife) are done!

                      The plan all last week was to get perhaps 6 of the series yesterday (Sunday) and maybe the rest on the next Sunday (I have GeoVolunteer training this Saturday).  As I sat at home Saturday night and saw the geocaches being reactivated, I thought well, if we're going out tomorrow to get caches, I could get Bastrop and Buescher tonight so we have more time tomorrow.   So about 10:30 pm Saturday night, I made up my mind, got dressed, got provisioned, rechecked logs (Buescher's coords were updated - whew!) and set off.  Bastrop was first because I knew the road I'd be walking down would be a long one. When I parked at the gate to that road, the GPS said a mile - straight....  wonderful....   By the time I got there, it was after midnight and by the time I got back to my truck, I was seeing my breath condense...  (it was cold).  FTF!

                      On to Buescher taking the back park road.  As I entered Buescher, the bearing line on the GPS swung around to the left.  hhmmm.... only a few hundred feet off the road...  sign says Gates are locked at 10 PM.  It was after 1am and they were open.  Cool...  I drove on straight into a parking area and walked back towards Bastrop until I was even with the cache and found a "relatively" easy way in.  Found the cache ok, but thought the coords were still a little off.  FTF!

                      Got to bed about 2:something and got up at 4:something and we took off for Somerville Lake.

                      Timing was perfect.  We got to Nails Creek with just enough light that we could leave our flashlights in the truck.  Parked in the equestrian area and took the pedestrian trail over the mulch pile.  Future cachers should take the equestrian trail to the left.  Much easier.  Nice realtively short walk and easy find.  FTF!

                      On to Birch Creek.  A shorter walk and a little wetter, but not bad. FTF!

                      On to Washington on the Brazos.  Longer walk but not too bad.  Easy find.  No FTF this time...

                      On to Huntsville.  We drove in and the GPS said to drive across the lake.  Wait, there's no bridge!  Crap....  Asked a staff person.  Drive around "that way" and it will take you there.  Ok...  Drove around "that way"...  it looped around and pointed us back out.  We stopped and asked someone else...  "No, they were right.  Drive around "that way", park and take the Orange trail... here's a trail map...  let's see....  OMG....  3 mile round trip....
                      On our way there, it wasn't long before we ran into Emmie -n- Sapphie, we chatted about the series and this particular cache.  They said they were FTF here.  Cool!  We'll be #2.  When we got there, we were #4.  On our way back we passed two more groups of geocachers (one group was LoneStar Luke n Leia, Bananapoo and ItsLoveInStereo) heading to the cache.

                      Ok, I had breakfast, but the wife didn't so we headed into Huntsville for Wendy's.  I think the enitre staff was new.  Took 15 minutes to get our food.  Now fed, we were on our way to LaGrange and after that we'd take stock of our time, the available daylight and what time we would likely get home by to decide if we would try for Palmetto and Lockhart.  We got to Monument Hill in LaGrange at about 4 pm (the park attendant told us the park closes at 5 pm).  We used the bathroom facilities (long drive from Huntsville with Wendy's food in our stomachs) and headed for the Nature Trail.  As we looped around the far end, I could see it was going to be "down there"....  So off trail and down hill we went.  "Oh, there's a road down here..."  Of course...  we walked up the road, saw the cache and I went down to log it while Sue watched for muggles.  "Some people are coming"  "Ok, get down here and maybe they won't see us."  As we knelt down below the wall, I heard voices and popped my head up.  Emmie -n- Sapphie again!  We just beat them for FTF by about 30 seconds after seeing them over 100 miles away a few hours ago!

                      We logged and passed the cache onto them and we headed back to the truck.
                      We decided that based on the GPS reported sunset time and time to get there by using road navigation on our GPS, we would get to Palmetto with enough daylight.  Emmy -n- Sapphie said it was not far from the bathroom...  So off we went.  We parked on the wrong side of the river!  I hopped the "strainers" on the footbridge across the river as the water was rushing across the footbridge too bad to just walk it.  Ran up to it and got it and back to Sue (who didn't want to cross the river) with still some light left, but it was dark before we left the park.

                      On to Lockhart...  As we drove through Luling, we thought we were just going to pass out from the gas in the area....  what a stinking stink that is!!!!  We drove into Lockart SP about 7 PM or so. We parked in an open camping spot, walked across 3 fairways of the golf course and were met with a wall of trees.  Not easy trying to find a way in by flashlight.  We walked right and then left and found an overgrown road in.  Got to ground zero and searched for about 20 mintues.  Finally found it and headed home.  What a day!  5 FTF's in the series and 9 out of the 12 down.

                      Today, Monday, I dropped wife off at work in Austin and arrived at Government Canyon in San Antonio about 9:00 or so (store was open).  Very quick find, bought souvenier for wife and headed for Guadalupe River SP.  Picked up 10 regular geocaches outside and just inside the park and headed for the TxGCC cache.  Passed LoneStar Luke n Leia, Bananapoo and ItsLoveInStereo 100 feet from the cache as they were headed back out.  Just met them yesterday hundreds of miles away at Huntsville SP!  We chatted briefly and they headed out and I got my 11th cache of the series.  Great view and could see the homestead mentioned in the log book.

                      On to Austin to pick up Sue from work and then on to McKinney Falls SP on the way home to Bastrop.  We got to the river to find no dry way across!  As we were looking for a way across, here comes the Deafdillos!  Very cool!  We watched as they crossed over, having just came from the cache (their first of the series).  We "chatted", posed for a picture and they were on their way.  Good thing I brought my backpack.  With jeans rolled up and shoes either carried or stowed in backpack, we carefully shuffled our feet in very slippery, icy water for about 10 minutes and got to the other side.  We put socks and shoes back on and found the cache quickly.  Back across with cold, wet feet, we got back to the truck with daylight still left (about 5:15 pm).

                      All done!  Whew!  Kind of like a mini County Challenge... ok, maybe not...
                      But still, very fun and learned a LOT about the parks and saw some new parks we had not been to before.  All in all, a very educational experience...

                      Kudos to the TPWD for putting this together...

                      Barry and Sue
                      aka Doc Geo

                    • gumbietygress
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                        Heh heh!
                        Good for y'all!!!!

                        yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

                        @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                        You should play not because you want to be good, but because you need to
                        make a sound. --Yo-Yo Ma
                        Medical Insurance Quotes
                        Compare medical insurance companies and save money now.
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=UURPe1_6yGPSXUlgMW2UowAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAQAAAAFAAAAAPBMGj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABJQNgAAAAA=
                      • Indigo Parrish
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mary Beth Booth <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

                          > As of last night when Monument Park closed at 5pm, only Barry and we had logged that one (30 seconds apart). And at 4pm yesterday, only Barry & we had gotten the 2 at Lake Somerville. We didn't see anyone's name on all six of the the logs that we signed today. So unless a bunch of people went and found a lot of them today, then we were the first to finish because we didn't see Barry's name on the McKinney Falls one when we signed it at 3:45pm today

                          Outstanding.  Congrats on being first to finish the Challenge!!

                          If I didn't have a soccer game to coach on Sunday I would
                          have been racing you the whole way ;-)

                          -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

                        • Carlin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                            Yeah, congrats!  And thanks for sharing the enjoyable blow by blow story of the adventure.

                            Carlin/1Carlin

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                              Barry-

                              I think Goatie Girl and I might have finished 4th & 5th and you 6th. I know Bananapoo and friends got to McKinney before us, so if that was their last cache in the series, those three groups beat all of us. But it sure was fun and we weren't even trying for FTF (on caches or the series). So it was icing on the cake to be FTF in Huntsville at the late hour of about 10:30am.

                              Mary Beth
                              (emmy-n-sapphie)

[...]

                            • Josh & Dani Whitaker
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
                                I love reading these stories!! Geocaching adventures are fun! I am still pretty new (only 131 finds) but I am really enjoying it. I keep trying to get friends hooked on it so I can have people to cache with but they all still think I'm crazy!  Oh well...if anyone is ever looking for someone to cache with let me know!! I usually cache solo because my husband isn't into and my 7 year old son is not always up for going. A few weeks ago I actually ran into 2 other cachers and we spent 3 hours out at Dick Nichols Park getting all the caches together. It was so much more fun.
                                Keep the stories coming!! I aspire to get the high find numbers that I keep seeing come across these emails. Can't wait!

                                Dani
                                whit228