Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] TxGCC Deadline

  • Mary Beth Booth
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
      Barry,
      you are officially insane.

      Mary Beth
      (emmy-n-sapphie)

      From: Doc <bcwatson@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, November 1, 2009 9:55:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] TxGCC Deadline

      Mary,
      After my wife and I left you at Monument Hill SP, we decided to race against the setting sun for Palmetto SP and found it with light to spare.  Before we left the park though, it was dark.  We found a place to park at Lockhart SP and crossed over 3 fairways of the golf course to find a wall of trees.  Shining our flashlight into the trees looking for a way in, we walked right and then walked left and open sesame!  A great, easy way to get to the cache location.  Finding it at night was a different matter as the coords seemed to be more than 20 feet off when we finally found it 15-20 minutes later...

      Any way, I grabbed FTF on Bastrop and Buescher just after midnight and then got about 3 hours sleep and then wife and I got up and got FTF on both Somerville caches.  Then we grabbed WOTB and Huntsville (where we ran into you the FIRST TIME) and lunched at Wendys in Huntsville.  Then we made the long drive to Monument Hill and grabbed FTF only about 30 seconds before you showed up and we ran into you two again for the second time in a day!

      SOOOOO.....
      5 FTFs and 9 out of the 12 in the TxGCC series in a 24 hour period!  Tomorrow, I'm going to wrap it up...   Government Canyon after dropping my wife off at work in Austin and then Guadalupe River SP.  If I have time before I pick her up, I grab McKinney SP otherwise we can get it together on our way home.

      I loved seeing the new parks and revisiting some I've been to before. That 3 mile round trip hike at Huntsville is a doosie...  at least the 2 mile round trip at Bastrop was a lot cooler being at midnight....  heh, heh...

      Barry
      aka Doc Geo

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
        It's gated. Don't kow for sure what time they open but when I worked there a zillion years ago it was 8:00.

        As for the cache, it's definitely not a park and grab. They picked a spot with a nice view.