missing caches...

  • gumbietygress
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2009
      A friend of mine checked her profile a couple weeks ago and was sitting
      at 674 caches.
      Checked again a couple days later and was down at 634. 40 caches gone
      poof....

      Now, I don't think she tracks caches externally to big green like I do
      (it's all about the order, just never mind, you already know I'm
      weird).... which makes finding the oops tough. But do any of you techie
      folk have a suggestion? [I don't think she does pocket queries of all
      finds, either... but I'll ask.]
      And has anyone else had this problem?

      Thanks!

      BarbJ/Tygress

      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
      You should play not because you want to be good, but because you need to
      make a sound. --Yo-Yo Ma
      2 Minute Consolidation Quote!
      Free online quote in 2 minutes. No credit check, no obligation!
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=9f8ndKEM6SeHqKKkQfFjWgAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAQAAAAFAAAAAJsCUj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABI2kAAAAAA=
    • softscienceofficer
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2009
        Yikes! This is one of my nightmares! I've thought about what I would do if this happened somehow, because I'd want to know which ones I've lost. I keep a "found" database in GSAK, so I can run the nifty stats macro that Lignumaqua created. I could check those against what the website claims I have, but I'd probably just use a brute force method. There's probably something more efficient.

        Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, gumbietygress <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

        > A friend of mine checked her profile a couple weeks ago and was sitting
        > at 674 caches.
        > Checked again a couple days later and was down at 634. 40 caches gone
        > poof....
        >
        > Now, I don't think she tracks caches externally to big green like I do
        > (it's all about the order, just never mind, you already know I'm
        > weird).... which makes finding the oops tough. But do any of you techie
        > folk have a suggestion? [I don't think she does pocket queries of all
        > finds, either... but I'll ask.]
        > And has anyone else had this problem?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > BarbJ/Tygress
        >
        > @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
        > You should play not because you want to be good, but because you need to
        > make a sound. --Yo-Yo Ma
        > 2 Minute Consolidation Quote!
        > Free online quote in 2 minutes. No credit check, no obligation!
        > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=9f8ndKEM6SeHqKKkQfFjWgAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAQAAAAFAAAAAJsCUj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABI2kAAAAAA=

      • Doc
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2009
          I don't suppose there is any way for her to tell which 40 are missing?  It might be helpful to know if they all belonged to the same cacher.

          Barry
          aka Doc Geo

          @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@,.-:* '``'*:-., @

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2009
            Yeah, I know.... I've advised her (she's in Boulder), that knowing which
            caches are missing is step one to debugging. If they belong to a single
            cacher, or certain days. Since they only find four or five at a time, it
            has to be across several hunts (so the single owner concept is a good
            one).

            I feel for her, because a 40 cache hit is HUGE at their find rate.

            BarbJ/Tygress

            On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:48:17 -0700 (PDT) Doc <bcwatson@...> writes:

            I don't suppose there is any way for her to tell which 40 are missing?
            It might be helpful to know if they all belonged to the same cacher.

            Barry
            aka Doc Geo
            Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
            safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in
            sideways, a burger in one hand, a beer in the other, body thoroughly used
            up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

[...]

            Medical Insurance Quotes
            Compare medical insurance companies and save money now.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=3R-3YmJlunquHZ-m4FbZPAAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAQAAAAFAAAAAN8H_T4AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAiWIAAAAAA=
          • penguin5374
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2009
              "I don't suppose there is any way for her to tell which 40 are missing?  It might be helpful to know if they all belonged to the same cacher."

              That would certainly be step one.  But I would hate to think that one cache placer would go through and do a hatchet job on the finders of his or her caches.  To me, it sounds like maybe the data was corrupted.  I'd be willing to bet that the missing 40 are in a contiguous block of missing data.  Maybe if she could simply supply the dates of the missing finds, to someone at Groundspeak, it might be her best chance of getting them recovered.

              I would encourage everyone to keep a backup copy of their found logs.  Due to the nature of computers, data kept on them is flimsy at best.  I keep track of my finds in GSAK , including found logs.  That way, if the GC servers ever hiccup, I can copy and paste my way back to normal.

              Mark
              (BewareOfPenguin)

            • Wayne Lind
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
                If they kept thier found caches in a database, they could run a new "All Finds" query, and overlay it on their current finds database using the "Set User Flag" and "Clear all flags" settings. After overlaying the file, the caches without the user flag set would be the ones that are currently not listed as finds. If you don't keep a found cache database, I am not sure how you could tell.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
                  yeah, that's the critical problem as I see it.

                  -B

                  On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 07:35:24 -0600 "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...>

[...]

                  Top Bathroom Remodelers
                  Get up to 4 free bathroom remodel estimates today. No obligation!
                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=BmvGVImsS4c4kQVwjX-MXwAAJ1CzOeYfqppcCgoUs_mWjB7KAAQAAAAFAAAAAOKlND8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABIYGAAAAAA=