Pocket Query

  • whit228
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2009
      As you all know I am still learning which means I have questions. But I just don't seem to run into many geocachers out and about so I will send my question out to the group.
      Do you use the Pocket Query? If so, do you prefer one program over another? I am so tired of writing all the info down (hints, etc).

      Thanks!
      Dani
      whit228
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009

        Hi and welcome to geocaching!

        Most of the more avid cachers use pocket queries.  As with most things, everyone is a bit different about how they do it.

        Me, I get a pocket query and then load it into GSAK (which, BTW, stands for 'geocaching swiss army knife').  GSAK allows me to manipulate the data in many ways, from type, to difficulty and terrain, to owner, to distance from a particular spot, etc.)  Once I have what I want, I then 1) download to my gps 2) export it to a *.gpx file and load it into my PDA and 3) look at the distribution on MapSource (also an export available from GSAK).  On the PDA (actually a Dell AXIM)  I've been using GPSSonar.  However, it is pretty old and I believe no longer available.  There is probably something better out there but I've been too lazy to find anything.

        The CenTex Geocachers hold an annual event called geocaching 101.  Much of this stuff will be presented and discussed there, with people to give you some hands on help.

        Best,

        Russ the waterweasel

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
          Hi Dani,

          When I first got started, last January, I was loading each individual cache, one at a time, onto my Garmin before heading out to find them.  I didn't understand why my Garmin was "full" when I had only 180 caches loaded and supposedly my unit could hold thousands!  From this group I heard about Pocket Query.  Geesh!  So easy.  I figured out how to run the query and load the GPX file on my Garmin.  That way, my unit does hold about 2000!  I never learned how to use GSAK, haven't "needed" to yet.   Good luck, have fun, keep it simple!

          Carlin/1Carlin

          As you all know I am still learning which means I have questions. But I just don't seem to run into many geocachers out and about so I will send my question out to the group.
          Do you use the Pocket Query? If so, do you prefer one program over another? I am so tired of writing all the info down (hints, etc).

          Thanks!
          Dani
          whit228

        • Mrs. Captain Picard

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
              Dani-

              I also use GSAK. I import the pocket queries into it, do the sorting and
              such and then load it directly into my eTrex GPSr. I use an iPod Touch
              with Geosphere for paperless caching, and import the pocket queries into
              it via my email account.

              Mike

              whit228 wrote:
              > As you all know I am still learning which means I have questions. But I just don't seem to run into many geocachers out and about so I will send my question out to the group.
              > Do you use the Pocket Query? If so, do you prefer one program over another? I am so tired of writing all the info down (hints, etc).
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Dani
              > whit228

            • Barbara Dukette
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
                Carlin,

                You need to remember that with your super-duper cool GPS, you don't have the need for GSAK, as do we geocacher with lesser models. ;(

                That being said, GSAK is the way to go with Garmin.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Life became SSOOOOOO   much better wen I finally went to using personal queries and GSAK!
                  Barry
                  aka Doc Geo

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Hi Dani and welcome! I think most folks probably use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) to manipulate their pocket queries.  You can download GSAK at http://www.gsak.net/

                      We teach classes in GSAK usage a couple times a year in the central Texas area. Our next class is tentatively scheduled for Oct 24 in San Antonio, but the exact details have not been locked down as of yet. We are also talking about having a class at Duke's Barbecue in Georgetown, but that is still in the talking stage at this point. Julie is right about if you bring a laptop with GSAK to an event, I'll be happy to sit down with you and get you started with it.

                      Have a great evening,
                      Wayne Lind
                      AKA The Outlaw.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
                        Howdy Dani!
                        I can personally attest that having a pro sitting next to you while learning to navigate in GSAK is the only way to go. It only took Wayne two sessions of intensive training to get me to learn enough to get me in trouble. BTW Wayne, I downloaded my very first pocket query to my Garmin today - all by myself - and I didn't even call for help!!!!

                        Which only goes to prove that if a dinosaur like me can do it, so can you!!!!!

                        Good luck and don't give up!
                        BGTX
                      • Tuulikki
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
                          Oh my...
                          I've felt with all things going on, I didn't have time to sit down and
                          figure out that GSAK thing.
                          Inspired by these posts I finally did it and in no time at all, Oh my
                          Gosh! Should have done it earlier!
                          The GSAK site has easy instructions.
                          Thanks,
                          Tuulikki
                          4dimensions
                        • Josh & Dani Whitaker
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 2, 2009
                            Thanks Wayne! I don't have a laptop though but maybe I can get my hands on one before the next event. I still have not attended an event but I really want to and hopefully will soon! I would love to put faces with the names. Until then I will continue to play with GSAK so I know the basics.

                            Dani
                            whit228