Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Saturday caching

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 4, 2009
      Nope, just moi....
      Tweets...  ya know... "some" geocachers must have unlimited texting on their cell phone plan and "assume" everyone else does.   My cell phone bill gets REAL expensive when I start following someone on Twitter and then in one day get 20 tweets.  Ok, I think...  That was a fluke... then the next day and then next weekend...   I sadly have had to stop following some geocachers who feel it's important or neat to tweet every cache they stop at ....  I could see for an FTF so everyone else knows they can turn around and head back home, but not if you're trying for 50 FTF's in a day....
      Been meaning to say something and I guess now's as good a time as any....

      Don't mean to offend anyone, but please tweet with consideration...

      Barry
      aka Doc Geo

      From: Rich and Di Michelson <dirich92@gmail. com>
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocac hers] Saturday caching
      To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 6:14 AM

      Is anyone going out to Waco this weekend to increase numbers?  There is a series full of bonus smileys if you bring along strange stuff - Leave It Home.  We have strange stuff and would like to join up with other cachers with strange stuff.  While I don't own a Versace gown, we do have a samurai sword (sort of, it's wooden, gotta see if that will fly) and a portable microwave and other items.  Shall we make a day of it and share in the goodness?

      We're thinking Saturday, leave north Austin at 9am-ish.  We've got kids, but they are kids who like to cache, so we might move slowly, but we'll be in there until the 3pm ice cream munchies hit.  :)

      --Di
      dirich92

    • Cybercat
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 4, 2009
        not to rain on anyone's parade, but I emailed DrHogg about this series cause I was confused about something. I assumed that if I take a pearl necklace for that cache, that I could take a picture with it on, claim the xtra smiley, and then take a picture of Charlie with it on, and he could claim the extra smiley also.  DrHogg says no sharing of items.  In other worlds, if Charlie wants the extra smiley, he has to bring a different pearl necklace.
        So if you are in a group of 3 people and all of you want the extra smiley, you will need to bring 3 different minnow buckets, 3 different sofa cusions, 3 different weed whackers, 3 different samurai swords, etc. etc.
        So it won't do any good to meet up with people who may have items that you are lacking--if that item has been used in a picture, it can't be used again.
        Jana
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 4, 2009

          LIH 1-100.
          Hi!  For future reference, what is the name of the series?

          Thanks!

          Russ the waterweasel

          Is anyone going out to Waco this weekend to increase numbers?  There is a series full of bonus smileys if you bring along strange stuff - Leave It Home.  We have strange stuff and would like to join up with other cachers with strange stuff.  While I don't own a Versace gown, we do have a samurai sword (sort of, it's wooden, gotta see if that will fly) and a portable microwave and other items.  Shall we make a day of it and share in the goodness?

          We're thinking Saturday, leave north Austin at 9am-ish.  We've got kids, but they are kids who like to cache, so we might move slowly, but we'll be in there until the 3pm ice cream munchies hit.  :)

          --Di
          dirich92

        • Rich and Di Michelson

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                I have a minnow net -- that would count for chuckles. (the best kind of
                smiley!)

                2009/9/4 Cybercat <cybercat@...>

[...]

                09/04/09 05:51:00

                @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                The distance thought travels in a second is infinitely greater than the
                distance light travels in a year …only it tends to spiral, so it gets
                nowhere fast.
                ---Brooke McEldowney
                Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFoYdTW5TPjr6GgSfHl0g2TxxeMrv7pOWNWbglEq2mOrDUl16XCi0/
              • Wayne Lind
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                  While finding Pete's latest series (LIH) in Waco yesterday, Candy, Trey and I discussed a way to thank him for all the fun and entertainment he has provided over the years. For those who weren't reading this forum last week, Pete went over 1,000 caches hidden last week. That is a LOT of caches. We thought a good way to show our appreciation would be to start a cache series that he can find. We placed a cache at the terminus of one of his runs we placed a cache which we called "A Hundred to One Shot #1" (GC1Y832, but not approved yet). If anyone else would like to particpate this way, simply bring a container up with you when you go up there and hide it for Pete to find. As often as his runs are being found, it won't take long for another cache run to be generated, and they'll be caches HE can find.

                  FYI, for those going up there this weekend, GC1Y832 is at     N31 16.990 W96 54.982

                  Wayne

                • Wayne Lind
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                    If anyone is heading to Waco or knows someone who is already there with a 4X4, Tom is stuck in the mud between GC1Y09Z and GC1Y0A7 and could use some help getting out. Last report he had found some boards and was hopeful to get out, but you may want to check. His phone number is 210-255-7622.

                  • xdeaf4lifex@att.blackberry.net
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                      hey I am in state captial. Laid on ground and read bible. If anyone want to play geocities in downtown please stop by I want have bit fun so I canget good night rest

                      I want meet people that I never meet geocacher in texas austin . Please stop by thank u so much god bless u

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      From: "Wayne Lind"
                      Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 14:01:56 -0500
                      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Electric Waterboy needs help!

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                        Geocaching*

                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 5, 2009
                          Please contect me by text907-388-7243 nor call me by vp 580-713-0830 as I am walk out of state captial

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          From: xdeaf4lifex@...
                          Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 22:05:11 +0000
                          To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Thanking Dr. Hogg

                          Geocaching*

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          From: "Wayne Lind"
                          Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 13:30:29 -0500
                          To: <CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com>

[...]

                        • bcfroma
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 7, 2009
                            Cybercat and I agree that this is a good idea. We placed a small that will be published as #3 in this series. We did the LIH and OOPS series this weekend, plus a few others, and got over 200 caches. So placing one cache for DrHogg to find is a very small repayment.

                            Happy Caching,
                            Backwards Charlie from Austin

                          • palbers@austin.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 7, 2009
                              We were in the area at the same time as Charlie and Jana and we were able to hide one
                              in between their hide and #1, so we agreed that we'd number ours #2. If/when it gets
                              approved it will be shown to be located here:

                              N31 16.687 W096 55.322

                              Waypoint is (GC1YC24)

                              If you are out there over the next three days before it goes live feel free to find it, but
                              please wait for the real FTF to find and log before you do.

                              Thanks,

                              -paul
                              HiDude_98

                              ---- bcfroma <cwortz@...> wrote:
                              > Cybercat and I agree that this is a good idea. We placed a small that will be published as #3 in this series. We did the LIH and OOPS series this weekend, plus a few others, and got over 200 caches. So placing one cache for DrHogg to find is a very small repayment.
                              >
                              > Happy Caching,
                              > Backwards Charlie from Austin
                            • electric_water_boy
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 8, 2009
                                There's going to be another because Cheryl (CADrake) and I hide one too. We had an absolute blast (well, except for a few minutes when I thought we were spending the night in the mud and I thought I heard a banjo in the background). And I'm still having fun logging. Between OOPS and LIH that's 200 finds, and not a single cut and paste from this kiddo. I love that they all have their own names so I have something to play with when I write the logs.

                                And speaking of logs, I hope Jana puts a list together of everywhere she took pictures for LIH. I wish she had used that weed whacker a little more..