Re: Extra Smileys

  • zekesuncle
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
      Y'all really should get back to the TXGA Forums more often. I see alot of things asked about and discussed here that were discussed months ago there. I have picked up a few things here as well, though. Personally, I subscribe to all the regional forums. Two cents? Multiple smileys bad. However, there was a cacher who had a monthly event at the same place every time. All he did was disable the cache and then re-enabled it and submitted it with the updated info. Which I don't think you can do anymore. I logged that cache 4 times.

      http://www.txga.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4497

      Marc (Zeke's Uncle)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Eric Wachsmann <eric@...> wrote:

      > I've seen extra smileys mentioned in multiple places and wonder if someone
      > can point me to a link or just describe how this works. In general, it
      > seems like folks set criteria for getting extra stuff on the cache page. I
      > guess I just didn't realize that cache owners had that capability. Still
      > learnin'.
      >

      > Eric / games0802

    • Wayne Lind
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2009
        For the time being however, there are no guidelines for this. If a cache owner wants to give bonus smileys, they are welcome to do so. Cachers then have a choice whether to log bonus smileys. I have placed a couple of caches that have bonus smileys, all but one give you bonus smileys for taking a picture of yourself with a bag of trash you picked up near the cache site. To me this seems to be a good way to encourage folks to CITO. Again, just because bonus smileys are offered doesn't mean they have to be accepted. I have not logged a bonus smiley in several years, but I have no problem with those folks who do.
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2009
          As I've traveled around the US geocaching, I've found that every region has it's own "way" of playing.  In Central Texas, bonus smileys are a fun way we "play" with each other.  Feel free to log an offered bonus smiley if it makes geocaching more fun for YOU.

          Officially, there is nothing in the geocaching.com guidelines that says you can't, and their own website doesn't prevent it.

          Now, go out there and have FUN!

          Cheers,