RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] law enforcement.

  • Wayne Lind
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 28, 2009
      I would agree with you on this. I would much rather have the officer comfortable that I am not a threat to his/her safety. The officer was doing his job, and if you look at it from his perspective, what we do is just a little on the suspicious side. If my choices are being in handcuffs, or being held at gunpoint, give me the handcuffs and I'll put them on for you.
      From: Charley Atchley <charleyatchley@ yahoo.com>
      To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, August 28, 2009, 7:06 AM

      I was looking for the "Fit to be Tied Cache" when I got harassed. Evidently someone stold a bunch of stuff from the railroad crews.
      I tried to explain to the guy that I was looking for a geocache and he took my gps and wrote down its serial number before he returned it. He said he put me in cuffs so he could be safe till he figured out what was going on.
      My geocaching acount name is the same as my yahoo mail. Charleyatchley

      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 31, 2009
        Never been harassed in TX but made a trip last year to MN for a wedding. While staying at the grooms apt I decided I could sneak out for an hour to find a series of caches along their light rail system.
        Well, I was back at the home station where I left the closest for last. Im sitting out there for a good 30 minutes looking in the bushes near the train platform. And then things get nasty.
        This was the same weekend of the Republican National Convention and the police/security staging was right next door to the apt and the cops/troopers were walking the 3 blocks to the convention center.
        So im digging around the bushes mumbling and cursing for this stupid little container when I feel a tapping on my back. Scares the poo outta me! I get up and i see 5 of Minneapolis' finest surrounding me.
        I gave them the rundown of the game and I  dont think I did a good enough job of convincing them. Eventually they told me that I gotta get going for 'security reasons' (this cache has been there for a couple years, hardly a security concern). I begged for 10 more minutes to find this dadgum thing. They luckily granted 10 minutes while 2 officers stuck around to watch me.
        Never did find that cache, but at least I got a nice safe, secure escort back to the apt. Quite hilarious when I walk into the apt of the groom and I have two cops asking "do you know this guy?" to which my best friends answered "NO!"
        ...but thats a whole nother story.

        Bob Nussbaum